The Director of Development & External Relations leads the
planning and execution of a comprehensive philanthropic program for
the George A. Smathers Libraries in coordination with the Dean of
University Libraries. This position reports dually to the Dean of
University Libraries and the Assistant Vice President (AVP) of
The Director of Development & External Relations leads a
team of development professionals that work collaboratively with
Library deans, chairs, and librarians, as well as colleagues
outside of the Libraries to identify, cultivate, solicit and
steward major gift prospects for the Smathers Libraries initiatives
and strategic priorities. The incumbent is responsible for
overseeing and providing direction to the work of the advancement
team in securing all private support, executing donor stewardship,
development of public support groups, fundraising event
coordination, and relations between the Libraries, its Library
Leadership Board, and Smathers Friends of the Libraries donors, the
University of Florida and the UF Advancement. Additionally, the
Director of Development & External Relations will attend
strategic engagement events in support of Smathers Libraries
- Work closely with the Dean of University Libraries (Dean) and
the Assistant Vice President of Development (AVP) to define and
prioritize funding needs.
- Build and manage a major gift prospect portfolio of
approximately 65 major gift donors as well as managing a
- Serve as the primary fundraising strategist for the Libraries,
identifying, qualifying, and stewarding donor prospects up to the
major gift level.
- Strategically manage relationships through face-to-face visits
with donors, prospects, and friends, with an emphasis on ,Special
- Actively identify and research alumni and friends in targeted
areas; work with the AVP to develop and implement strategy for
securing gifts in these areas, including advancement plans to
inform constituents in identified markets about the funding needs
and gift opportunities.
- Actively build donor pipeline through in-person visits,
volunteer engagement, and other strategies.
- Work closely with the Dean, AVP and the Office of Estate &
Gift Planning in identifying and qualifying prospects who have the
potential of making a planned gift to Libraries.
- Actively qualify and manage major gift prospects in accordance
with their interests, capacity, and propensity, consulting with the
AVP on philanthropic engagement strategy and key campus
partnerships for collaboration.
- Provide ongoing leadership and direction to the Assistant
Director of Development and other team members in building the
Libraries’ donor pipeline through the qualification and
solicitation of leadership annual giving donors to the
- Work with University Initiatives to u increase parent and
family giving to Libraries.
- In collaboration with the Dean of University Libraries, develop
solicitation strategies on case-by-case basis, being cognizant of
development office and Library needs and procedures.
- Oversee all stewardship efforts for the Libraries, ensuring the
advancement team is recognizing donors appropriately and
meaningfully. Coordinate stewardship efforts with other Libraries
and external colleagues within UF Advancement and University of
Florida, as appropriate.
- Acknowledge and recognize gifts in ways that are meaningful to
donors and appropriate to the vision, mission, and values of the
Smathers Libraries and UF Advancement.
- Provide leadership, counsel on matters relating to fundraising,
and accountability including establishing goals in alignment with
library objectives, developing metrics and strategic planning.
- Implement a series of strategic events designed to promote
Special Collections and other library priorities, to engage a
larger audience and build major gift pipeline.
- Oversee the design and execution of fundraising plans that
would include special events, VIP and donor lunches and dinners,
campus visits with the dean, catered events, Library tours with the
dean, team retreats, and meetings and initiatives that promote the
engagement of donors and friends.
- Develop support for the program by effectively involving
stakeholders, such as volunteers, staff, and members of the
libraries leadership board, in efforts supporting the fundraising
- Understand and articulate the unique contributions of Smathers
Libraries to education, research, and service on local, national,
and international levels.
- Oversee and manage activities and public support programs and
events for the Smathers Libraries. Coordinate development
activities with Libraries’ public relations staff; assist with
Libraries public relations and promotional activities.
- Attend and strategically engage and cultivate donors and
prospects at events, providing effective follow-up.
Friends of the
- Provide leadership and direction to the Assistant Director of
Development in the management of a successful Friends of the
Library program, designed to generate unrestricted support for the
library, to steward and cultivate those closest to the library, and
to build a pipeline of new potential donors.
- Lead the advancement team in executing Smathers Friends of the
Libraries fundraising initiatives to generate gifts between $1,000
and $25,000 and effectively build a pipeline of prospects to ensure
future success of the fundraising program.
- Facilitate the Assistant Director of Development’s work in
proactively engaging with the UFA Annual Giving Office to ensure
successful Friends of the Libraries prospect and pipeline
- Provide leadership and support strategic planning efforts as
they relate to Smathers Friends of the Libraries.
Library Leadership Board
- Cultivate the Library Leadership Board (LLB), engaging a small
group of individuals who can support at a high level or make
significant connections on behalf of the library.
- With the Dean, plan, manage, and successfully execute all LLB
meetings, events, and activities; prepare meeting
materials and logistics.
- Engage with LLB members and individual prospects identified by
- Coordinate stewardship reports and activities for individual
prospects including LLB members with appropriate members of the
- Develop support for the Smathers Libraries by effectively
involving staff and stakeholders, including LLB members in efforts
supporting the fundraising program.
- Create a structured process for the identification,
recruitment, evaluation, recognition, and replacement of volunteers
to strengthen fundraising effectiveness.
- Collaborate with the Dean and the AVP regarding overall gift
strategies for LLB Omembers as appropriate.
- Responsible for effective prospect tracking, record keeping,
reporting and administration aligned with the metrics and reporting
from UF Advancement.
- Plan and monitor the budget, using resources for best results
in fundraising and planning activities involving volunteers,
prospects, faculty and administration.
- Ensure best practices in office systems, practices, files and
record keeping; ensure effective use of strategic tools and
resources such as contact reports, prospect management, research,
and analysis, and the Advance database.
- Assist in evaluating and analyzing programs using established
attributes and metrics to produce accurate reports, to guide
effective decision making.
- Supervise the Libraries’ Assistant Director of Development and
- Research industry standards, trends, breakthroughs and best
- Implement changes accordingly to maintain the Smathers
Libraries’ competitiveness among its peers and other
- Participate in professional programs at the state and national
level as appropriate (CASE, DORAL, ALADN).
- Perform related duties as required or deemed appropriate to the
accomplishment of the responsibilities and functions related to
Application must be submitted by October 18, 202211:55