Americans for Financial Reform Education Fund (AFREF) is growing
in new and exciting ways and we are adding several staff positions
to support that growth. We are building a team that is
diverse, does awesome work, has a huge impact, and collaborates to
move a fundamentally important set of levers for racial and
economic justice. We are seeking a Development
Director who can help us strengthen our capacity to
transform the financial system and make change.
Americans for Financial Reform Education Fund (AFREF) played a
leading role in winning passage of the Dodd Frank Financial Reform
law and the creation of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau,
and we are driving the fight for broader transformations of the
financial system to advance economic, racial, and social justice.
AFREF’s staff develops plans and strategies in collaboration with a
coalition of more than 200 consumer, civil rights, labor, community
based, and other organizations, along with academics and policy
experts, together to advance this fundamentally important work in
the economic and racial justice agenda.
Our work thus far has built expertise, relationships and
strategic insight that put us in the position to achieve greater
impact, and to think creatively about next steps. The Development
Director will work closely with the Executive Director and the
leadership team, and collaborate across the organization, to
increase revenue, forge new relationships, and build our capacity
to make change.
The ideal candidate will have a strong commitment to economic
and racial justice, be an experienced fundraiser with a track
record of raising new revenue, have a solid understanding of
fundraising practices, and have an interest in building a strong
Job responsibilities include:
- Work closely with the Executive Director, leadership team and
Board to develop and implement fundraising strategy and
- Forge new relationships to enhance the organization's vision,
impact and financial resources.
- Develop strategies to attract and steward donors; identify,
cultivate and apply for new funding streams.
- Lead and carry out the range of activities required to
research, write, prepare, and submit grant proposals and reports to
foundations and other donors.
- Craft – and work with other AFREF staff to craft - other donor
facing materials to highlight and explain AFREF’s work.
- Lead and facilitate internal development strategy and planning
- Provide strategic and practical support for the Executive
Director, the leadership team and senior staff across the
organization in their engagement with foundations and other
- Work with the leadership team to identify and develop
fundraising opportunities in addition to traditional foundation
- In collaboration with the COO and the operations team, ensure
accurate and timely input of donor data and production of accurate
Ideal candidates will have:
- A strong commitment to racial and economic justice.
- 7+ years of experience in nonprofit development or comparable
position, some in a leadership role.
- Excellent writing and communications skills across a variety of
formats including grant proposals and reports, and the ability to
present complex strategies and policy material in narratives that
are approachable for and tailored to specific funder
- Creative thinking skills and the ability to proactively develop
new ideas and solve problems.
- Excellent relationship building skills.
- Proven experience managing, prioritizing and meeting multiple
deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
Annual salary range: $105,000 - $125,000 commensurate with
experience. Generous benefits, including medical, dental, vision,
and 401K, and generous time off. We invest in growth
opportunities for our staff, both within a position and within the
How to apply:
Please submit your application via our candidate portal linked
here, including a resume, cover letter and 2 writing
This position is full-time; Washington, D.C. based or
AFREF is committed to a workplace that reflects the
diversity of America defined broadly and where the talent, skills
and uniqueness of each staff member are respected. We are committed
to a policy of equity for all employees and to equal opportunity
for all applicants for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual
orientation, gender identity/expression, family responsibilities,