Senior Director, Knowledge Management and Learning,
Managed Organizations (Washington, DC, Chicago, IL, Durham, NC or
San Francisco, CA)
We are seeking someone who wants to take on a brand-new role
building knowledge management and learning capabilities for a
social impact business where staff expertise is the main ingredient
of success. This position sits within Arabella’s Managed
Organization’s team, which provides fiscal sponsorship services to
nonprofit entities and related client projects working across the
globe. Building upon existing structures, this leader will design
and implement scalable strategies, processes, and systems to ensure
dissemination of information to the right people at the right time.
A leader in this role will be critical to improving the employee
experience by paving the road for MO team members at all levels to
manage their complex operational roles and grow in their careers.
This role is key to ensuring we continue to make a significant and
meaningful impact within the philanthropic sector in partnership
with our clients.
This role’s primary initial goal will be to set the priorities
and strategies for the aggregation and dissemination of
information, while jumping in mid-stride to improve existing
efforts. This role’s incumbent will have the opportunity to
build a team of specialists to support the execution of these
priorities but will be initially supported by team members who have
capacity dedicated to knowledge management and learning.
Additionally, this leader will be supported by IT and the
firmwide L&D leader in HR. This role will report to the head of
This role is for a builder, scaler, and change-maker who is
ready to work with a diverse set of stakeholders within Arabella
and with our clients from across the philanthropic sector.
Experience in knowledge management and adult/professional learning
- Develop and implement a strategy – with success metrics – that
integrates knowledge management and learning and addresses key gaps
- Connect the strategy to the firm’s and MO business’ strategies
and model, including anticipating and acting on future business
needs that a knowledge management and learning strategy will need
- Lead change management initiatives related to the knowledge
management and learning strategies, including for MO staff, the IT
team, the Business Development team, and clients.
- Develop and implement a budget, along with business cases for
investment of funds.
- Build, manage, and support knowledge management and learning
teams to drive the outcomes of the knowledge management and
learning strategies and related functions.
- Identify, recommend, and lead the build-out of relevant IT
- Build the roster of, work in partnership with, and manage
external consultants to support the advancement of the knowledge
management and learning strategies.
- Participate in knowledge management and learning communities of
practice across the firm.
Knowledge Management Leadership
- Identify needed team and role competencies necessary to achieve
business outcomes, and develop a functional and related knowledge
- Implement knowledge management and sharing processes and
systems that increase knowledge availability, through the lens of
self-service and self-sufficiency.
- Partner with internal teams to identify knowledge that team
members need to know throughout different stages in their employee
lifecycle and make it accessible.
- Work across MO to develop and implement tools, reports,
dashboards and databases that will improve program, technical and
operational effectiveness and efficiency.
- Improve the ease that knowledge is distributed and searchable
- Develop and implement guidelines and expectations for how the
team creates, maintains, and accesses knowledge and resources.
- Identify best knowledge management practices and leverage
existing technology (e.g., SharePoint, Salesforce) or secure new
technology to create new and better systems and business
- Engage staff as active participants in updating knowledge
management systems and processes with relevant information.
- Support subject matter experts in distributing their
specialized knowledge across MO.
- Implement processes and technology systems that minimize
continuity disruptions caused by institutional and project
knowledge leaving when team members depart.
- Support coordination of how MO business policies and processes
are changed and shared.
Learning and Development Leadership
- Identify needed role competencies within the team necessary to
achieve business outcomes, and develop a team-based learning
program to support staff development.
- Develop a structure that best positions staff to develop the
skills that are appropriate to their role and where they are in
their Managed Organization’s career lifecycle.
- Create an efficient and effective onboarding program that
targets optimizing new team members in their roles as quickly as
- Develop and manage skills training for team members by level
and services provided.
- Build curricula to ensure staff at all levels have the right
knowledge and skills to competently deliver core services.
- Develop and leverage experiential learning programs– including
shadowing, role playing, and sandboxing – to increase learning
- Work the firmwide learning and development (L&D) leader in
the usage of and further development of our learning management
- Use self-service (including within the LMS and across other
available technology solutions) and interventions (e.g., video
training, flow charts) to systematize and foster efficient
- Create a development pathway, in coordination with HR, that
clarifies how a team member can grow from level to level.
- Develop and convey effective learning and development standard
operating procedures working within the firmwide blended L&D
- Share adult learning and facilitation expertise with those team
members responsible for MO training.
To Be Successful in This Role, You’ll Need:
- Bachelor’s Degree, certificate, and/or related experience in
knowledge management, Six-Sigma, process improvement, learning and
development, and/or adult/professional learning.
- 10+ years of work experience with steadily increasing
- Experience in a professional service environment
- Experience in the nonprofit or social sectors preferred.
- Experience in designing, implementing, and leading knowledge
management and learning strategies, including related interventions
- Experience in knowledge management and learning best practices
- Ability to lead and deliver complex projects, manage
- Experience leading transformational changes and effectively
advocating for new ideas.
- Experience scaling a team and function.
- Experience leading a function in a 250-500 person
- Exposure to user experience design.
- Ability to manage and lead complex projects, manage budgets,
oversee and delegate to others, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to manage various stakeholder groups and be a
- Good active listening skills and a willingness to engage with
people on a regular basis.
- Salesforce and SharePoint experience.
Our Core Competencies:
- The ability to provide excellent service, including being able
to effectively guide teams to achieve service standards and carry
out strategy, and identify service offering gaps and recommend
and/or drive improvements.
- The ability to manage resources across team to ensure projects
and goals are achieved, approve work plan changes and final
deliverables, and communicate projects’ progress with critical
- The ability to establish and manage effective relationships
with diverse stakeholders across the firm, including
executive-level colleagues, and to foster a culture of courteous
- The ability to effectively communicate critical firm-wide
messages, and to lead others in managing challenging conversations
and developing complex communication skills
- The ability to model and foster a team-wide culture of
inclusion, collaboration, and knowledge sharing; to demonstrate and
model appreciation for significant team contributions; and to
mediate challenging interpersonal conflicts
- The ability to regularly engage in leadership development
activities, and lead firm-wide initiatives that improve firm-wide
- The ability to foster a team culture that encourages creative
problem solving, and to ensure teams have resources and training to
overcome complex challenges
- The ability to take initiative for creating an inclusive
environment and model and implement equitable policies, practices,
systems, or strategies
About Arabella Advisors
Arabella Advisors helps foundations, philanthropists and
investors who are serious about impact achieve the greatest good
with their resources. We work on issues ranging from the social and
economic advancement of women and girls, and conservation of our
climate and planet, to reducing poverty and inequity in the United
States and around the world. Our staff members are mission-driven
and action-oriented, and have a unique combination of experience in
philanthropy, business, nonprofits, government, finance, law, and
other fields. We combine creative, strategic thinking with
knowledge and networks developed through decades of hands-on
experience. The fastest-growing philanthropic advisory firm in the
nation, Arabella is also a certified B Corporation.
About Arabella’s Managed Organizations
Arabella Advisors provides operations and management support to
multiple nonprofit organizations, including the New Venture Fund,
Fund, and the Hopewell Fund—all 501(c)(3)
public charities—and the Sixteen Thirty Fund, a
501(c)(4). These managed organizations house new and
innovative public interest projects and nonprofits, as well as
coordinate collaborative initiatives between donors and administer
grants programs. This type of structure is commonly referred to as
fiscal sponsorship, and candidates are highly encouraged to
research fiscal sponsorship prior to a first interview. The managed
organizations provide support to a diverse range of projects,
including many focused on conservation, global health and civic
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Advancing DEI within our firm and in our work with partners is
critical to our mission. To be effective partners to
philanthropists, nonprofits, and communities impacted by
philanthropic dollars, we need to have a highly diverse staff, a
workplace where individuals are encouraged to retain their
uniqueness and can feel a sense of belonging, and a nuanced
understanding of the racial, ethnic, gender identity, sexual
orientation, disability status, and other disparities that
undergird the issues we engage in and the interactions we have with
one another. For us, equity means that our staff members, our
clients, and the people they serve can experience the same level of
success, no matter their starting place. We expect all our
employees to share this commitment, and always seek ways to improve
how well we live these values. Click here to
learn more about DEI at Arabella and read our official DEI
Total Rewards (compensation and
This is a full-time position. We offer a competitive
and holistic total rewards package that includes salary, bonus, and
benefits. Our base salaries are based on salary ranges for similar
sized organizations in the professional services sector and
adjusted for local labor market rates and differentiated by
All full-time staff are eligible for our generous benefits
package on their first day of employment:
- Health insurance- On average Arabella pays 86% of the medical
premium, 80% of the dental premium, and 100% of the vision
- Paid time off-18 days’ vacation, 10 personal days, 11 company
holidays (7 federal and 4 more from a list of inclusive cultural
and religious holidays and your birthday), 20 hours’ volunteer
leave, 8 weeks’ parental leave
- 401(k) retirement plan- We offer a 4% employer match on a
dollar-per-dollar basis, and there is no waiting or vesting period;
all funds contributed by you and Arabella are yours to keep on day
- Reimbursements for your personal cell phone plan and
- Pre-tax withholding for transportation and parking
- Bonus incentive opportunities
- Access to professional development opportunities
Working with Us
While this position must be based in Washington, DC, Chicago,
IL, Durham, NC or San Francisco, CA, please note that all Arabella
Advisors’ offices have reopened, and we work in a hybrid
We reopened our offices in Summer of 2022 and work with a hybrid
workplace strategy to ensure continued flexibility for our staff,
while deepening our strong culture rooted in collaboration and
in-person interactions between colleagues. We expect that after
their initial onboarding, all Arabellans will have the choice of
two hybrid schedules. Our hybrid schedule options include Flex,
with 1-2 days per week in the office, or Office-based, with 3+ days
per week in the office (or more if preferred) and the remaining
days working at home/remotely. We will make reasonable
accommodations under the guidelines of the Americans With
To center the safety and well-being of its employees, Arabella
Advisors requires that any employee who is required to conduct
in-person activities for their job must be fully vaccinated against
COVID-19 within four weeks of their start date. This position
may require candidates to be fully vaccinated against
COVID-19. Accommodations may be sought and approved in
accordance with the law.
We are committed to having a passion-driven, inclusive,
transparent, collaborative, healthy, and fun culture. We invite you
to visit our careers page to learn
How to Apply
Submit a resume and a one-page cover letter online. The cover
letter should address why you’re excited to work at Arabella and
why you’re qualified for this specific job.
Arabella Advisors is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to
racial equity. If we can make the application process easier
through accommodation in the recruitment process, please let us
We encourage you to read (or listen to) our
DEI statement prior to applying. We make a
particular effort to recruit people of color and members of
marginalized groups to apply for open positions. Once you have
applied, we welcome your feedback on how you have experienced our
values around DEI in the recruitment process.
While Arabella is open to individuals from various locations
applying to join our team, please note that we generally are unable
to pay for relocation expenses, and, except in rare circumstances
considered on a case-by-case basis, all applicants must already be
legally eligible to work in the United States at the time of
application to be considered for this position.
We will review applications as they are received and look
forward to hearing from you.