Cathedral Church of Saint John the Divine
Executive Director, Development
The Executive Director, Development will lead and manage the
Cathedral’s fundraising strategy and execution. This role
demands a candidate who is deeply enthusiastic about the
Cathedral’s mission, has an infectious, vibrant entrepreneurial
spirit, and sees philanthropy as an exquisite means of helping
people participate in the life of this national treasure.
The Executive Director, Development will join the Cathedral’s
senior leadership team and will report directly to the Dean of the
Cathedral. Charged with strengthening the Development team’s
capacity for repositioning the Cathedral among New York City’s most
prominent institutions and, ultimately, to launch a
multi-million-dollar capital campaign, the Executive Director,
Development will work with the full commitment of the Dean and the
Board of Trustees to expand and diversify the Cathedral’s donor
base in order to sustain success.
The Executive Director, Development will get his, her or their
arms around the Cathedral in all of its dimensions—that it is a
thriving center for Christian worship, that it is the cathedral of
the Episcopal Diocese of New York and the seat of its Bishop, that
it feeds the hungry and clothes the poor, that it lifts spirits
with music and fine arts programming, and that it supports
community families through the ACT educational program--and use
that knowledge to welcome people to participate in the Cathedral’s
life and to ground giving in the Cathedral’s mission.
The Executive Director, Development
- Powers the vision for Cathedral philanthropy and builds a
culture of optimism and commitment for setting and reaching
- Knows that success happens when we build lifelong connections
between donors and the Cathedral, and that in order for that to
happen, relationships must be carefully developed and intentionally
- Is responsible for the strategic oversight and management of a
development team united and driven by the desire to find innovative
ways in which Cathedral philanthropy is approached and big goals
- Understands that executional excellence--from hitting deadlines
for grant proposals to writing thank you notes--is an essential
characteristic of a winning development team.
- Mentors staff on the development team, setting clear and
actionable goals across income streams, including individuals,
foundations, and corporate partners.
- Will be a persuasive champion for the Cathedral’s presence and
contribution to the spiritual life of New York City.
- Works closely with the Dean and the Head of Staff to assess the
current composition and governance structure of the Cathedral’s
Board of Trustees and will create recruiting, onboarding and
ongoing engagement strategies.
- Embraces and promotes the value of metrics, both as a means for
evaluating performance and for communicating progress.
- Will expand the boundaries of the Development department to
include the entire Cathedral staff by sharing updates and offering
ways of actively participating in this mission-critical work.
- Will assess community interest and support for a major capital
campaign and will make recommendations to the Dean and the Board
about the Cathedral’s readiness and timing for launching this
Specific requirements for candidates include:
- At least five years’ development experience in a leadership
- A track record of engaging people with the life and work of a
- Skills and experience in leading, managing and strengthening a
- A history of creating development strategies that meet and
exceed goals, supported by skills and experience in creating
budgets, forecasting revenue and closing six- and seven-figure
- Proven experience in the development and management of capital
- Phenomenal organization skills.
- Significant experience in multi-channel fundraising (e.g.
social media, website, calling and texting, direct mail, live or
streamed events) across all of the major categories (individuals,
corporations and foundations). A deep knowledge of New York City’s
philanthropic community is a big plus.
- Excellent listening, spoken and written communication
skills—the building blocks for connecting people with organizations
and building strong and lasting relationships.
- Working knowledge of CRM strategies and platforms, both to
build donor loyalty and retention and to use data to inform
- A Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree and/or CFRE
- Medical and dental benefits for employee and immediate family
on first day of the month following date of hire
- 403(b) with matching Cathedral contribution of up to 4%
Equal employment opportunity and having a diverse
staff are foundational principles at The Cathedral of Saint John
the Divine. We are committed to ensuring equal
employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the
basis of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, religion,
disability, marital or civil partnership/union status, familial or
caregiver status, alienage or citizenship status, sexual
orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, military or
veteran status, genetic information, predisposition, or carrier
status, unemployment status, domestic violence, sexual violence, or
stalking victim status, or any other characteristic protected by
federal, state, or local law.