The Associate Director of Communications &
Development Strategy will serve as an integral member of
the Principal Gifts & Strategic Initiatives team. Reporting to
the Assistant Vice President of Principal, the incumbent is
responsible for managing the production of donor-centric strategic
communications and messaging, Advancement leadership correspondence
and stewardship plan coordination. The incumbent will also provide
strategic support for donor event planning efforts independently or
in conjunction with Donor Relations, Strategic Communications &
Marketing, Board Relations, and other representatives. The
Associate Director will work closely and in collaboration with the
Interim Director for VP Advancement Communications and the
Strategic Communications & Marketing team and have frequent
personal contact with University constituents, including faculty
and staff, as well as University, and UF Advancement officials and
staff as assigned. This position exercises independent judgment,
confidentiality, and discretion.
Role and Responsibilities:
Principal Gift Communications
- Oversee and manage the strategy, development, and direction of
- Review and edit materials produced by the Assistant Director of
Communications & Development Strategy and Communications
- Manage the production of communication projects focused on many
of the university’s most prominent donors.
- Conceptualize, create, develop, and write proposals and
numerous other communication projects to support donor cultivation,
engagement and stewardship.
- Provide strategic support in developing highly customized donor
philanthropy reports including: executive/presidential briefs,
stewardship reports and special reports for UF's top donors and
- Develop tailored concept papers, case statements, strategic
campaign plans and proposals for fundraising initiatives, with a
specific focus on university priority initiatives.
- Interact closely with development staff to obtain and organize
information and materials to best write, edit, research, and design
quality concept papers and proposals tailored to each donor or
- Oversee and manage the creation of visioning and benchmarking
documents designed to help units and colleges develop key concepts
that can be presented to PG-level donors.
- Coordinate and collaborate with the Interim Director for VP
Advancement Communications and Strategic Communications &
Marketing, and assist other related departments/units at the
direction of the AVP.
- Manage the coordination of leadership correspondence for PG
donors and other Advancement VIPs, ensuring key stakeholders
receive timely gift acknowledgements and other stewardship messages
from the University President and Vice President for
- Oversee the production of talking points to help guide
advancement meetings with PG donors and script remarks for
leadership and other stakeholders during UF Advancement-led summits
and events that include PG donors.
- Work closely with the AVP to strategically move forward
donor-centric strategies at the PG level.
- Develop, initiate, and execute action plans for projects.
- Ensure that project goals and timelines are met in a timely
- Track project activities and results.
- Partner with the AVP in the formulation of policies and
procedures as they pertain to the unit.
- Attend and participate in planning and strategy sessions and
work groups about UF's top donors, prospects and fundraising
initiatives and provide critical communications feedback and
- Facilitate/Coordinate communication projects that arise from
Strategic Communications & Marketing
- Collaborate with the Strategic Communications & Marketing
team, with guidance from its Executive Director, to coordinate and
direct the production of collateral materials, and produce and
write marketing materials.
- Strategize with this SC&M team on communication materials
for the capital campaign that would impact PG and Presidential
- Work with fellow communicators centrally—especially the Interim
Director for VP Advancement Communications—and across
colleges/units in the creation and dissemination of PG
- Collaborate with the Donor Relations team to produce strategic
and high-quality stewardship materials for PG and Presidential
prospects/donors, especially leadership correspondence and gift
- Assist this team with projects related to PG and Presidential
- Manage the production of gift acknowledgement letters produced
for donors at the PG and Presidential levels.
Tracking and Administrative
- Manage the archival of proposals, concept papers, and
- Track proposal (number requested, number completed, and
outcomes of requests) to measure performance in this area.
- Plan and monitor the budget, using resources for best results.
Ensure agreed-upon deliverables and costs are tracked and delivered
on schedule, as appropriate.
- Research industry standards, trends, breakthroughs and best
practices, communicating results to the team and senior leadership.
Implement changes accordingly to maintain competitiveness among
peers and to meet agreed-upon goals and objectives as determined by
strategic plan and goals.
- Oversee programs and resources to ensure they are in alignment
with UF Advancement’s Vision and Values of Excellence, Discovery
& Innovation, Inclusion, Freedom & Civility, Community and
Stewardship; ensure best practices in office systems, practices,
files and record keeping; ensure effective use of strategic tools
Special Instructions to
This position has been reposted.
Previous applicants are still under consideration and need not
reapply. In order to be considered, you must upload your cover
letter, resume and three references. Application must be submitted
by January 29, 2023 11:55pm (ET).