Major Gifts Officer
Managing Director, Campaign and Leadership Gifts
Brooklyn College Foundation
The Major Gifts Officer is responsible for managing a portfolio
of 175-200 major gift prospects. The officer will be expected
to identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward major donors
and prospects, and must be able to enthusiastically and accurately
represent Brooklyn College to a variety of constituents including
board members, major donors, prospects and other friends of the
The officer works collaboratively with other Institutional
Advancement and Brooklyn College staff members, and in support of
board members, to cultivate and solicit donors for college-wide
priorities. The officer monitors all prospect contacts to
ensure positive and purposeful prospect and donor relations, and
recommends and assists with programming involving the President,
Vice President for Institutional Advancement, Managing Director,
Campaign and Major Gifts, senior Brooklyn College staff members and
The officer will be a key figure in Brooklyn College’s capital
campaign, working closely with campaign leadership and Brooklyn
College senior staff to raise campaign gifts and help to achieve a
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop appropriate cultivation and solicitation strategies for
donors and prospects, moving potential donors in an appropriate and
timely fashion toward solicitation and closure.
- Participate in all aspects of the gift cycle, working
independently in initiating contacts with potential donors.
- Solicit gifts and support the solicitations of others, as
- Maintain stewardship contacts with donors; maintain sensitivity
to needs of the donors
- Make decisions about cultivation time committed vs. expected
gift; determine who needs to be involved in relationships with
- Work with appropriate members of college and Institutional
Advancement staff in developing donor proposals, acknowledgments
and stewardship materials.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Five to seven years successful experience in major gift
fundraising preferably in higher education.
- Excellent research, writing, organizational and interpersonal
- Excellent writing, organizational, interpersonal and research
- The intelligence, maturity and sound judgment necessary for
interacting with major donor prospects, trustees, faculty and
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple complex tasks
- Strong project management skills and a demonstrated ability to
set and complete priority projects under deadline.
- Ability to understand the needs and interests of leadership and
major gift donors in order to develop relationships between them
and Brooklyn College
- Interest in all aspects of education and a dedication to
promoting the college’s fundraising priorities through developing
excellent relationships with faculty, senior academic leaders,
trustees, volunteers, and the Institutional Advancement
- Successful experience in developing cultivation and
solicitation strategies and soliciting gifts.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Raiser’s
Edge or similar database system.
- Travel and the ability to work occasional evenings and weekend
$85,000 – $95,000 - Commensurate with experience and
Generous Benefits Package
How to Apply
Please email a cover letter and resume to Anna David firstname.lastname@example.org
with “Major and Gifts Officer” in the subject line.
Open until filled
The Brooklyn College Foundation is an EEO/AA/Vet/Disability