The Maritime Aquarium at Norwalk, Inc. (TMA or the
Aquarium) seeks a Senior Manager of Events and
Community Engagement, responsible for conceiving, creating
and executing compelling events at the Aquarium. This individual
also generates community goodwill by representing the Aquarium at
off-site events, trade shows, conventions, etc.
The mission of The Maritime Aquarium is to inspire people of all
ages to appreciate and protect the Long Island Sound ecosystem and
the global environment through living exhibits, marine science and
environmental education. For more than 34 years, the
Aquarium has played a significant role in shaping the landscape of
Norwalk and the region. The second largest family attraction in
Connecticut, and 50 miles from New York City, the
Aquarium historically hosts nearly 400,000 guests annually. Its
primary exhibits take guests on a voyage from the shallow salt
marshes and estuaries to the depths of the Long Island Sound and
the ocean beyond, culminating with habitats for sharks and harbor
seals. Altogether, the Aquarium is home to nearly 7,000
animals and over 360 species in 75 exhibits. A new 4D Theater
offers a unique sensory film experience for guests. Its education
programs introduce approximately 80,000 students, campers and
scouts to marine and STEM education. The Aquarium is
recognized as a top aquarium in the nation, and is accredited
by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums. It is an active
participant in the local and regional community. The strength
of the Aquarium is its 60 full-time
staff, and part-time and
seasonal staff, in addition to nearly 300
volunteers, which contribute 28,000 hours annually. While the
pandemic challenged the Aquarium in profound ways, the team’s
resilience and creativity led to new ways to connect with the
community, and renewed optimism for the future.
Reporting to the Vice President of Philanthropy and Engagement,
the Senior Manager of Events and Community Engagement, is
responsible for working cross-functionally to conceive, create and
execute compelling (cultivation and fundraising) events at the
Aquarium. This individual also generates community goodwill by
representing the Aquarium at off-site events, trade shows,
conventions, etc. and establishes and/or co-manages corporate
partners looking to engage in outreach activities.
Fundraising and ‘Friend-raising’
- Establish fundraising and ‘friend-raising’ event manual(s),
processes, etc. in line with agency processes.
- In coordination with the development team and SSA catering,
plan and execute all fundraising and ‘friend-raising’ events
including, but not limited to, the annual gala, annual golf
classic, and others TBD. Responsibilities include:
- Serve as primary point of contact to internal and external
stakeholders, including event permitting if/as needed.
- Create and manage event project plan and timeline.
- Develop event specific budgets—in line with revenue
projections, manage to approved line items, track all revenue and
expenses, and process associated invoices.
- Coordinate the event run-of-show; lead on logistics, through
- Partner with the development team on solicitations, gift
processing and acknowledgements.
- Conduct vendor research for all elements (design, AV,
entertainment, etc.), make hiring recommendations and manage once
- Ensure Aquarium staffing and assignments to relevant
responsibilities before, during, and after event.
- Plan and oversee event debrief sessions with outlook planning
for following year.
- Community Partnerships and Engagement
- Establish guidelines for partnership and relevant event
manuals, processes, etc. in line with agency processes.
- In partnership with development, marketing, guest services and
others, field inquiries from community partners and corporations
seeking engagement activities; conduct due diligence.
- Work with partners to create meaningful opportunities to
connect the Aquarium:
- In concert with development and marketing teams, create
proposals (and agreements) with engagement opportunities and
- Manage and expand relationships with community partners.
- In coordination with membership, ensure partners are up-to-date
on agreements by overseeing calendar of any corporate
- Ensure partner relationship is sustained through ongoing
communication and evaluation of needs and any possible
- Attend community partner events as a representative of the
Aquarium, both internally and externally.
- Oversee and manage all Community Partnerships and Engagement
Events in line with activities outlined in Point #1.
- Partner internally to design and execute all Aquarium-sponsored
events, in line with activities outlined in Point #1.
- Support logistics of press and staff events as requested.
- Support/lead special projects as requested.
- Minimum of 5 years relevant and progressive experience.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Marketing or related
- Experience in a non-profit organization preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to conceive and manage event details.
Knowledge and Skills
- Commitment to the Aquarium’s mission, with an appreciation for
the important role that the Aquarium plays in conservation,
education and the life of a vibrant community.
- Commitment to equity and social justice, and strong alignment
with our organizational values.
- An attitude of creativity, innovation, confidence and
entrepreneurship, with an ability to inspire and motivate
- Strong interpersonal skills across stakeholders including:
staff, volunteers, trustees, vendors, talent, donors and others;
works well within teams, strong collaborator.
- Ability to prioritize the needs of the business in tandem with
the needs of the event and strong guest experiences.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Continuous improvement / problem solving mindset and way of
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and experience with
- Excellent organizational, project management and negotiating
- Strong attention to detail
- Willingness to work evenings, weekends and holidays as
Please send a cover letter, CV and salary requirements to
Rosemarie Lombardi at rlombardi@Maritimeaquarium.org,
with Senior Manager of Events and Community Engagement in the
subject line of your email.
The Maritime Aquarium is an equal opportunity
employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals,
regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to