League of Women Voters
Major Gifts Officer
The League of Women Voters (The League) was founded in 1920 as a
nonpartisan, activist, and grassroots organization by leaders who
believed that voters should play a critical role in democracy.
Today, The League is at the forefront of voter access, empowering
voters, and defending democracy through advocacy, education, and
litigation and at the national, state, and local levels. Throughout
more than 750 communities around the country, The League is playing
a critical role in protecting and ensuring voter access, organizing
voters, and “getting out the vote”. Nonpartisan programs, such as
VOTE411, serve tens of millions of voters by providing all
information needed to cast ballots for every election.
With individual voting rights under attack, and bills that make
voting more difficult for women and Black and brown Americans, The
League has continued the fight to protect the rights of voters and
expand access for those who have been left out of our democratic
process. In 2020, The League protected 25 million+ voters through
litigation, and 6 million+ people used VOTE411 to find information
on over 22,000 different races.
The organization is comprised of two operating functions. The
League of Women Voters is a c (4) organization that encourages
informed and active participation in government, works to increase
understanding of major public policy issues, and influences public
policy through education and advocacy. The League of Women Voters
Education Fund is a c (3) entity that works to register voters and
provide them with election information through voter guides,
candidate forums, and debates.
To learn more, visit www.lwv.org.
Reporting to the Chief Development Officer (CDO), the Major
Gifts Officer (MGO) will serve as a senior member of the
Development team and a lead fundraising strategist for the
organization. The successful candidate will help The League forge
relationships with new and existing donors to build upon
visibility, impact, financial resources, and the overall network.
The MGO will join a team of four full-time Development
professionals based in the Washington DC office (including the CDO)
to manage and expand a fundraising budget of $12.6M. The ideal
candidate must be a highly articulate communicator, a skilled
relationship builder, and come with demonstrated success in
previous or current fundraising roles. The MGO will be responsible
for a variety of fundraising initiatives (listed below).
Donor Stewardship and Relationship Management
- Collaborate with the Development and Communications Manager to
identify potential prospects from the mid-level giving
- Manage correspondence, and database updates for donors in
- Prepare program performance reports and provide
- Develop and maintain a strong understanding of The League's
mission and programs, maintaining collaborative working
relationships with all departments to craft messages for potential
major donor program sponsors and partnerships.
- Steward major gift, planned giving, and Leaders for Democracy
donors. Respond to donor inquiries, questions, and issues in a
- Prepare data and status reports and presentations on the Major
Donor program for the Board – including annual and biennial revenue
projections and major donor goals.
- Support the League in events, rallies, and mobilizations,
Major Gifts Strategic Planning and Execution
- Develop and implement major gift donor strategies including
identification, cultivation, solicitation, and retention for a
portfolio of both current and prospective donors.
- Develop funding requests based on the goals of the organization
for high net worth individuals and play a lead role in soliciting
and closing major gifts.
- Manage and coordinate donor groups to cultivate and request new
- Execute major gifts materials including briefing memos,
proposals and stewardship materials.
- Monitor activity on a regular basis to achieve major gifts
revenue goals and assist with review and verification of major gift
donor recognition lists.
Legacy and Planned Gifts Strategy and Execution
- Develop and implement strategies that include the
identification, cultivation, solicitation, and retention for the
Leaders for Democracy program.
- Build relationships within the donors of the Leaders for
Democracy program, educating them on League highlights, updates,
- Monitor and report on annual giving prospects, donors, and
goals to achieve annual giving goals.
- Enhance and expand the existing planned giving
- Develop strategy for planned giving engagement and
- Maintain and grow the relationship with Stelter, assisting in
planned giving strategy and website redesign.
- Provide edits and insight into the digital and mailing planned
Budgeting and Data
- Oversee the data input and distribution of the annual budget
and future fiscal year projections.
- Oversee relationship and strategies related to Wealth Engine
data metrics and report generation.
- Help recommend and implement enhancements to the Salesforce
platform, improving ease of use and functionality for
- At least three years of successful individual major giving
experience in non-profit development, including fundraising for an
- Knowledge of the principles of major donor pipeline management
and successful track record of moving donors into higher giving
- Experience developing tailored cultivation and stewardship
plans that exhibit an exceptional understanding of others’
priorities, motivations, and interests.
- Competency in prospect identification, cultivation,
solicitation, and donor relations.
- Record of successfully engaging leadership and Board members in
the fundraising process.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
- Deep understanding of Major Gifts prospecting and
- Ability to travel with CEO to all donor events locally and
outside of DC.
- Careful attention to detail in donor correspondence.
- Reliable, responsive follow up and pro-active outreach.
- Ability to visualize and implement growth of the development
- Familiarity Excel, PowerPoint, Canva, Salesforce, and Wealth
- Willingness to operate in the “grey” as development transitions
from manual to automated processes and grows the team.
Compensation and Benefits
League of Women Voters offers competitive compensation,
excellent benefits, and a supportive and collaborative workplace
culture. The salary range for this position starts at $120,000
(commensurate with experience). Benefits include medical, dental,
and vision plan coverage. This position is available to operate
fully remote as needed or in a hybrid model with one – two days a
week in-office for candidates in the Washington DC area. Ability to
travel will be expected.
This position description is based upon material provided by
League of Women Voters, an equal opportunity employer. All
qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin,
disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected
Nina Cogan, Talent Consultant
Sherry Ettleson, Principal