SENIOR DIRECTOR OF MEMBERSHIP STRATEGY
- People for the American Way
- District of Columbia, United States
- Salary Commensurate with experience
- Closing date
- Feb 23, 2023
- Position Type
- Fundraising, Membership
- Employment Type
- Full Time
People For inspires and mobilizes community and cultural leaders to advance Truth, Justice and the American Way. We convene courageous Americans, produce compelling media and organize campaigns to defend our democracy from authoritarian threats in order to advance the US Constitution's promise that every American will enjoy freedom, safety and a vote that counts.
The Senior Director of Membership is responsible for acquiring everyday Americans into People For and stewarding them up a ladder of member engagement that is defined by deepening content engagement, digital event attendance, digital and on-the-ground advocacy action, donation and brand advocacy. The Director works closely with staff from the departments across the organization to create and implement a membership program that authentically reflects how People For needs its mass base engaged in its Truth, Justice and American Way campaigns.
We believe that revenue from members, the primary performance indicator for this position, is dependent on building meaningful relationships.
This position is located in Washington, D.C., or can be fully remote, and reports to the Chief Development Officer (who is remote).
• Collaborating and joyfully co-creating a great member experience with all those in People For who enable it – organizers, leadership networks members, writers, publishers, technologists, data analysts, etc.
• Converting people from observer to follower (name and contact capture) to action taker (advocacy actions, donations, etc.) to contributor (ie.; host a house party) and finally to leader (i.e.; volunteer advisory role) according to annual conversion goals.
• Generating $5.2M in revenue from the mass base across all channels, with an eye toward donor retention and long-term donor value
• Maintaining a clear understanding of engagement and revenue performance drivers at all times
• Establishing positive, productive relationships with offline and digital fundraising agencies of record while managing them to performance expectations and contract scope
• Developing a team culture and support system where your two direct-report staff members can thrive
• Develop and oversee the implementation of the membership strategy to include but not be limited to acquisition, onboarding, cultivation/engagement, retention and upgrade of donors acquired via offline and online channels. Understand overall file health trends that need to be addressed within the membership strategy.
• Analyze the effectiveness of the membership program and make changes as appropriate to optimize short- and long-term revenue. Provide membership revenue forecasts and statistics to teammates as required.
• Collaborate with all enabling partners (vendors and internal staff) to ensure membership offer is in line with brand position, organization’s campaigns and will meet revenue goals. Kindly critique, guide and influence vendor efforts, make tactical recommendations regarding scheduling, package development, and list selections and share/inform vendor of membership-related historical learnings - to help drive results.
• Interface with major gift/planned giving vendors and staff to coordinate ongoing member solicitation and stewardship efforts.
• Stay up to date on membership trends and opportunities and deliver new ideas to improve the program.
• Deep experience working in multichannel fundraising
• Current working knowledge of online environment, including emerging tools and best practices for use in advocacy and fundraising campaigns
• Strong writing and proofreading skills, including how to make a story compelling and shareable using images, headlines, and other online publishing elements
• Strong understanding of metrics, analytics, reporting tools, and A/B and multivariate testing
• Knowledge of cross-channel attribution
• Strong organizational skills – ability to manage priorities while multi-tasking, ability to adapt to rapid development and shifting deadlines
• Knowledge of the current public policy and political environment and a strong commitment to achieving progressive policy goals
People For the American Way is an equal opportunity employer.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert