The Mount Sinai Hospital / The Mount Sinai School of
Human Resources Job Description
Mount Sinai Health System seeks a Senior Director, Legacy Gifts
to expand its planned giving capacity and grow philanthropic
revenue. The successful candidate will have demonstrated leadership
qualities in a fast-paced, metrics-driven organization and
technical expertise in traditional and non-traditional gift
vehicles. The candidate will have experience building a Planned
Giving Program, developing strategies for effective engagement of
legacy prospects and donors, managing a team responsible for
implementing a comprehensive planned giving strategy that will
attract current and deferred gifts. In addition, the Senior
Director, Legacy Gifts, is collegial, enthusiastic and approaches
gift planning with gravitas. The Senior Director, Legacy Gifts will
work closely with Development colleagues, key physicians,
administrative leaders, and volunteer leadership. This position
reports to the Vice President, Deputy Chief Development
Duties and Responsibilities
- Personally manages a growing portfolio of legacy prospects and
donors for the purpose of raising funds for strategic priorities
aligned with the institution.
- Strategizes and consults with volunteer leadership, physicians,
and staff to identify, cultivate, and solicit, prospects/donors for
blended and planned gifts.
- Builds and manages a Planned Giving Program with specific
short-term and long-term objectives including starting an Endowed
Annual Fund. Stays up-to-date on news and trends of benefits of
- Identifies, cultivates, and solicits prospective donors for
major, blended and planned gifts; uses analytical skills to
evaluate donor histories to determine best legacy prospects and
develops strategic outreach to engage; ensures all donors are
recognized and stewarded for their gifts.
- Works collaboratively and creatively with senior members of the
Development team and staff to enhance the potential interest of
planned giving to prospects and donors. Partners and leverages
relationships with Development colleagues to identify, cultivate,
solicit and steward donors.
- Recommends and develops educational plan for workshops,
seminars and professional development to instill a culture of
planned giving among the Development team. Conducts planned gift
presentations to donors, alumni, faculty members, staff, and other
- Serves as resource to staff and donors on charitable giving
issues and tax law; advises attorneys, financial advisors, and
other professionals on gift policies; attends staff meetings to
discuss and consult on major gift reviews and strategy sessions.
Works with Legal Counsel and Finance Offices regarding policy
issues involving planned gifts.
- Manages and grows The Legacy Society; plans related special
events with special events team to increase membership.
- Reviews charitable gift annuity and trust illustrations for
prospects and donors. Supplies necessary information to donors'
attorneys and financial advisors.
- Oversees marketing material, e-newsletter and web site for
constituencies. Spearheads online presence. Reviews content and
design; coordinates all aspects of mailings, including coordinating
with the annual fund team for direct response mailings and
- Analyzes program results of Planned Giving Program;
recommends annual goals and budget projections, makes
recommendations for future actions.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree, Advanced degree preferred
Minimum Related Experience
10+ years directly related work experience with a successful
track record in Major Gifts Fundraising and Planned
Giving. Preference will be given to candidates who have worked
in academic medical setting and /or complex nonprofit fundraising
environment and have experience with capital campaigns and blended
Minimum Computer Skills
- Working knowledge of, and experience with, Planned Giving
software such as Raisers’ Edge and PG Calc.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products.
- Demonstrated success working with donors in complex gift
planning programs, and a proven record of securing gift
- Extensive understanding of gift assets and gift implications
including securities, real estate, and property. Working knowledge
of income tax and estate tax implications of giving.
- Must be entrepreneurial and creative as it pertains to Planned
- Proven ability to build relationships.
- Strong communication skills, written and verbal.
- Self-starter who leads by example and measures success by
- Strategic thinker.
- Adaptability to a fast paced environment
- Superb organizational skills
- Appreciation of the mission of the Mount Sinai Health