Associate / Senior Associate Director of Class Philanthropy and Engagement
- Colby College
- Maine, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Closing date
- Feb 11, 2023
- Position Type
- Fundraising, Alumni Affairs, Annual Fund, Other Fundraising, Special Events
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Annual GivingPay Rate Type:
SalaryEmployee Type: Job Summary:
Full-Time, Exempt, Salaried, Administrative Staff Appointment
Colby’s reputation and resources have expanded dramatically under President David Greene’s leadership. Applications have swelled from slightly more than 5,000 to nearly 14,000 since 2015; the College launched a $750 million comprehensive campaign, Dare Northward, the largest campaign among all liberal arts colleges; the College’s leaders and innovative programs have an increasingly visible presence in the national media; the city of Waterville is being transformed through a partnership with Colby and more than $100 million in collective investments; the Colby College Museum of Art, one of the finest college art museums in the country, is a destination for study and tourism alike; and faculty research and scholarship have been highlighted by multiple outlets.
Thus far, more than 26,500 alumni and friends have made donations in support of initiatives such as the downtown Waterville revitalization, academic partnerships, financial aid, and global experiences and internships—collectively raising more than $680 million to date toward the Dare Northward campaign. Colby now ranks as a national leader among the nation’s colleges and universities in alumni giving participation. To learn about the Colby Dare Northward campaign, visit https://darenorthward.colby.edu/.
Current use giving through the Colby Fund supports critical areas of the College including financial aid, unrestricted giving, and athletics and recreation and raises $10M+ annually.
The College is seeking a highly motivated associate / senior associate director of class philanthropy and engagement. Reporting to the director of class philanthropy and engagement, the associate / senior associate director will manage a portfolio of annual giving prospects for a range of reunion classes, collaborate with advancement marketing and communications and other colleagues to develop multichannel annual giving campaigns, and engage a diverse network of alumni volunteers to facilitate peer-to-peer solicitations in support of a 40%–50% participation goal, a $10M–$12M+ annual giving revenue goal, and demonstrated increase of a newly implemented engagement index.
This role will collaboratively drive Advancements efforts to grow and transform the traditional annual giving volunteer structure and expand Colby’s engagement efforts. As a highly visible representative of the College, the assistant/associate director will possess an appreciation for the liberal arts college experience and a strong personal commitment to Colby's core values. We encourage inquiries from candidates who will contribute to the diversity of our College, including its cultural and ethnic diversity.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Direct and facilitate class giving and programs for assigned
- Set annual class dollar and participation goals and supervise class managers
- Develop engagement strategies to mobilize volunteers in an effort to increase connections with the College to promote and foster a sense of pride among alumni classes and affinities
- Coordinate and attend cohort-based event programming (virtual and in-person), including Homecoming, regional events, Reunion; may include event planning, RSVP management, and event marketing materials
- Create and manage class and affinity-based solicitations within the context of the Colby Fund including giving days, micro campaigns, and digital/print appeals
- Recruit, cultivate, and steward class volunteers, travel as needed
- Coordinate and develop solicitation materials including emails, notes, texts, and thank yous for volunteers
- Engage class managers regularly; provide guidance and direction to increase the growth of their alumni volunteer base and boost Colby Fund participation through direct peer-to-peer contact
- Develop and maintain relationships with leaders of assigned alumni cohorts
- Collaborate with colleagues across Advancement, including Marketing and Communications and Advancement Operations to identify additional points of evaluation, metrics, and analyses necessary for the effective assessment and management of assigned cohorts
- Contribute to efforts to foster growth and change in volunteer areas key to the mission of the College, including developing new protocol to reintroduce clearly defined expectations for volunteers, implement streamlined communication processes, and engage volunteers throughout the year beyond the traditional solicitation calendar cycle
- Partner with offices across campus to create annual giving opportunities for alumni to support the goals and aspirations of these departments and the students they serve
- Perform additional duties as assigned; duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice
- Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent in education and experience
- Minimum of 3-5 years of event, program management, or equivalent experience
- Experience working with volunteers is preferred but not required
- Demonstrated success in making and closing annual fund asks is preferred
- Talent to manage multiple projects and priorities while working within deadlines to achieve ambitious goals
- Must be flexible, have great attention to detail, show initiative, and have a results-driven philosophy with the ability to problem-solve
- Talent to manage complex relationships, and proven collaboration and teamwork skills to leverage activities, initiatives, and programs for multiple purposes
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to handle confidential information tactfully
- Highly developed computer skills including experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Experience with fundraising software such as GiveCampus and Raiser's Edge is a plus
- Willingness to travel on a regular basis and to work nights and weekends during specific times of the year (Homecoming, Reunion, Graduation, during giving campaigns, etc.)
- Ability to make an impact through work as a member of a team and diverse community
- Appreciation of Colby’s mission and the ability to effectively communicate it
- An entrepreneurial spirit and proactive attitude
- Valid driver’s license required and must meet the College’s Fleet Safety Policy requirements
Reporting to the senior director of class philanthropy and engagement, the associate / senior associate director of class philanthropy and engagement will have direct contact with division colleagues and key faculty and staff members across campus. This position has significant interaction with alumni, students, faculty, staff, the public, and community.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
General open office and campus environment. Position involves sitting, although frequent movement is necessary. Computer usage involving repetitive hand/wrist motion is also necessary. Ability to move around campus and interact with faculty, staff, students, alumni, and external constituencies regularly is crucial. Travel and work outside of normal business hours are required.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Successful and satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check). All students, faculty, and staff who are present on campus must be vaccinated and boostered against COVID-19, unless granted an exemption or accommodation by the College.
Interested candidates should apply electronically by clicking the "Apply" button on the Colby Careers website. Please submit a letter of interest including salary requirements, resume, and the contact information of three professional references. Materials should be addressed to:
Associate / Senior Associate Director
of Class Philanthropy and Engagement - Search
Office of Human Resources
5500 Mayflower Hill
Waterville, ME 04901-8855
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert