Reports to: Interim Chief Development
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, full time;
Nonunion - Level 7
Minimum compensation: $92,000
Work site: Hybrid (on-site two days per week,
Washington, D.C., office)
American Progress is seeking a self-starter with strong
communications skills and the ability to multitask to join a
growing team with a successful fundraising record as the
organization’s Director of Foundation Relations. This individual
will be responsible for a grant-seeking portfolio that generates $7
million to $15 million in annual revenue for American Progress.
They will pursue and capitalize on emerging opportunities for
foundation funding and will help produce written communications for
the organization. Reporting to the Interim Chief Development
Officer, the Director of Foundation Relations will work closely
with American Progress’ executive and senior leadership. They will
drive a robust foundation fundraising program designed to increase
the amount of support from the organization’s constituency over the
next several years.
This position is ideal for a deadline-driven, detail-oriented,
and well-organized development professional who is committed to a
progressive policy agenda and American Progress’ mission to improve
the lives of all Americans, through bold, progressive ideas, as
well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not
only changing the conversation, but changing the country. In
addition, this position will support American Progress’ five
- Strengthening health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust in democracy
The Foundation Relations team works with program staff at both
the Center for American Progress, a 501(c)(3) organization, and the
Center for American Progress Action Fund, a 501(c)(4) organization,
to make the case for support for various programs; conduct ongoing
research to identify foundation funding opportunities; collaborate
on strategies for approaching foundation prospects; and track all
foundation activity and deadlines.
- Independently generate $7 million to $15 million in revenue on
an annual basis.
- Design and implement strategies and activities to increase
support from existing foundation funders and identify new potential
foundation support, working closely with the Interim Chief
Development Officer and executive and senior leadership to drive
- Lead cross-functional collaborations to secure less restricted
and more flexible support for multidisciplinary projects led by
executive and senior leadership.
- Ensure high-quality stewardship of these collaborative grants
by facilitating intra-organizational planning and coordination to
meet grant deliverables.
- Research the giving interests of foundation funders and stay
abreast of philanthropic trends and recent foundation giving.
- Identify new opportunities for funding that align with American
Progress’ programs through prospect research, working closely with
the Foundation Relations Coordinator.
- Prepare foundation materials—including but not limited to
proposals, letters of inquiry, grant reports, agreements, emails,
presentations, and acknowledgment letters—by drafting original
copy, editing, and formatting as needed.
- Lead the planning and execution of meetings with foundation
staff; research and draft briefings for executive leadership in
advance of foundation meetings; and prepare senior staff for
foundation meetings and phone calls.
- Partner with American Progress’ program staff to cultivate
relationships with both current and prospective donors and support
foundation fundraising on behalf of American Progress’ Executive
- Track grant requirements and deadlines as well as contact
between American Progress and funders.
- Liaise with program and finance staff to monitor grant
- Perform other duties as assigned or needed to move forward
American Progress’ foundation relations portfolio.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and
- Seven to 10 years of professional experience—including four
years of foundation relations experience or comparable work with
foundations, preferably at a nonprofit advocacy or policy-oriented
- Demonstrated success managing a seven-figure portfolio of
foundation donors and managing relationships with both program
officers and internal colleagues to create the conditions for
- Demonstrated success in soliciting and renewing contributions
from foundations by articulating a compelling case for support
through multiple communication tools, such as written grant
proposals, reports, and budget documents or verbal and visual
presentations, among others.
- Knowledge of various progressive philanthropic sectors,
including racial equity, rights, and justice; international
affairs; public health; education; or democracy is desirable.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong analytical and prospect research skills.
- Strong interpersonal, mediation, and facilitation skills.
- Ability to prioritize and multitask in a fast-paced
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a
- Knowledge of the Salesforce database is desirable.
- Familiarity with 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) regulations is a
- Ability to work additional hours as needed to meet deadlines
and manage workflow.
- Support for American Progress’s mission and commitment to a
broad progressive agenda.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefits
package. This position is not represented by a union. Candidates
from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. The
budgeted salary for this position is $96,000.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community
spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes
to our current hybrid work policy will be communicated at the time
of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs