Director of Development, School of Public Health and
School of Social Welfare
About University at Albany:
Established in 1844 and designated a University Center of the
State University of New York in 1962, the University at Albany's
broad mission of excellence in undergraduate and graduate
education, research and public service engages a diverse student
body of more than 17,900 students in nine schools and colleges
across three campuses.
Located in Albany, New York, New York State's capital, the
University is convenient to Boston, New York City and the
UAlbany seeks an enterprising fundraising professional to
strengthen philanthropic support for the University, with a special
emphasis on securing gifts to the School of Public Health (SPH) and
School of Social Welfare (SSW).
The Director will be responsible for engaging alumni and friends
and designing and executing solicitation strategies that advance
the University's and Schools' highest strategic priorities. The
Director will collaborate with campus partners, in particular the
deans, and develop coordinated strategies aimed at maximizing the
engagement of a portfolio consisting of approximately 150
- Manage a portfolio of individuals through the identification,
qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship cycles;
forge relationships with a diverse population of prospects to
secure gifts that advance UAlbany, SPH, and SSW to new levels of
- Meet with prospects, often in tandem with the deans and faculty
members; work proactively to deepen prospects' engagement through
substantive campus visits and other strategies.
- Oversee the preparation of proposals, talking points, and
briefings for deans and faculty members; ensure that all
stakeholders are involved in key efforts focused on specific
- Collaborate closely with deans to identify and articulate their
- Work with donor relations colleagues to ensure that donors are
- Collaborate with the associate vice president for planned
giving to design prospect strategies for complex solicitations and
identify appropriate giving vehicles.
- Remain current in evolving trends in philanthropy.
- Collaborate with deans to manage advisory boards,
identify and recruit new members, and create strategies
and initiatives to deepen engagement.
- At least three years of progressively responsible experience in
development with a proven ability to engage individuals and secure
gifts; the ability to inspire donors to provide significant
- Ability to raise donor sights, articulate aspirational goals
and ideas, set priorities, and present philanthropic
- Understanding and appreciation for the philanthropic process
and individual giving behaviors combined with direct solicitation
- Experience working with senior leadership, faculty, and
development colleagues to raise significant funds to further the
mission and goals of an institution.
- Working knowledge of planned giving and/or estate planning
- Creative and entrepreneurial spirit; strong intellectual
- The professional credibility, intellectual depth, maturity,
poise, and collaborative skills to garner the trust and confidence
of the dean, senior executive director, faculty, and volunteer
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with
demonstrated presentation abilities.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work across a
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrated analytical and strategic thinking skills; the
ability to embrace ambiguity and challenges.
- Demonstrated integrity and the ability to handle sensitive and
confidential information with appropriate discretion.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse constituencies and
- Bachelor's degree required.
Professional Rank and Salary Range: SL5, Director of Fundraising
Salary range for this position is $75,000 - $80,000;
commensurate with experience. This position is eligible for hybrid
UAlbany provides a comprehensive benefits package for full-time
employees including, the choice between several health insurance
plans and no-cost dental and vision coverage. Additionally,
employees are entitled to 13 holidays per year with generous
vacation and sick time accruals. Employees can also choose between
two retirement vehicles with employer contributions and receive
tuition assistance at SUNY-operated campuses. To see the complete
listing of benefits please visit here.
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus
Crime Statistics Act, or Clery Act, mandates that all Title IV
institutions, without exception, prepare, publish and distribute an
Annual Security Report. This report consists of two basic parts:
disclosure of the University's crime statistics for the past three
years; and disclosures regarding the University's current campus
security policies. The University at Albany's Annual Security
Report is available in portable document format [PDF] by clicking
this link http://police.albany.edu/ASR.shtml
Pursuant to NYS Labor Law 194-A, no State entity, as defined by
the Law, is permitted to rely on, orally or in writing seek,
request, or require in any form, that an applicant for employment
provide his or her current wage, or salary history as a condition
to be interviewed, or as a condition of continuing to be considered
for an offer of employment until such time as the applicant is
extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation, and
for the purpose of verifying information, may such requests be
made. If such information has been requested from you before such
time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at
(518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
THE UNIVERSITY AT ALBANY IS AN EO/AA/IRCA/ADA
Please apply online via https://albany.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=156383
Applicants MUST submit the following
- Cover letter stating all the required minimum qualifications
and any of the applicable preferred qualifications
- Writing sample
- Contact information for three professional references
Note: After submitting your resume, the
subsequent pages give you instructions for uploading additional
documents (i.e. cover letter etc.).
Closing date for receipt of applications: January 22, 2023