Location: San Francisco, CA
Reporting to: Executive Director of
Annual salary: $120,000 -
works around the globe to save lives, defeat poverty, and achieve
social justice. We seek a world of hope, inclusion, and social
justice, where poverty has been overcome and all people live with
dignity and security.
CARE puts women and girls in the center of our efforts because
we know that we cannot overcome poverty until all people have equal
rights and opportunities.
At the end of World War II, American charities banded together
to send food rations to Europe that became the world’s first CARE
Packages and an American symbol was born. For over 75 years, CARE
has led the way to a better life for the world’s most vulnerable
people. This year, CARE and partners worked in 111 countries,
reaching more than 174 million people around the world through
Purpose of Role
CARE USA is inviting an entrepreneurial and engaging fundraising
professional to be our next Senior Director of Development.
Reporting to the Executive Director of Philanthropy for the Western
region, this individual will work with some of our most generous
individual and family foundation donors throughout the Western
region of the United States. In particular, we would like this
person to be accountable for raising the profile of CARE, growing
the base of supporters and donors and proactively cultivating new
prospective donors from outside CARE's known donor pool, with a
particular focus on the Bay Area/Silicon Valley.
Major Gifts Fundraising
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward a portfolio of major
donors and major donor prospects, with the capacity to make five
and six-figure gifts, across the Western region, with annual goal
of $2 million+.
- With Major Gifts and Planned Giving colleagues across the Bay
Area, the greater Western region and across the country, develop
tailored annual communication, cultivation, and solicitation plans
for major donors, including 1:1 meetings, small events and
virtual/in-person engagement opportunities for your portfolio of
approximately 120 donors and prospects.
- Ensure that all donors in your portfolio receive appropriate,
consistent engagement/ acknowledgment and an accounting of the
impact that their gift has on community needs annually.
- Stay informed and knowledgeable about planned giving options
for donors to CARE. With the Senior Planned Giving Officer, work to
grow and steward donors, who have made or plan to make bequest,
legacy, or estate gifts to CARE.
- Ensure donor and prospect data is properly recorded in the
Salesforce database and that all donor information is maintained
with respect to confidentiality. Provide timely and accurate
reports to senior leadership on all fundraising activities.
- Accountable for raising the profile of CARE, growing the base
of supporters and donors, proactively cultivating new prospective
donors from outside CARE’s known donor pool, with a particular
focus on the Bay Area/Silicon Valley.
- Alongside leadership and colleagues, build and manage
relationships with professional advisors in the private wealth
- Develop and implement strategies for increasing CARE’s
visibility in key Western region markets, including the Bay
- Lead the planning and execution of a minimum of two donor
cultivation events per year, including cultivating hosts, managing
external speaker and topic, invitation creation and dissemination,
onsite event management, and follow up.
Leadership and Management
- Represent the Major Gifts team on important task forces or
working groups as required.
- Establish and maintain strategic relationships with colleagues
across CARE. Engage Program staff in donor outreach and provide
mentorship on donor cultivation to them as needed. Collaborate as
needed with the Finance team and Grants Administration team on
restricted gifts, planned gifts, and special appeals.
This is a hybrid remote/office position. The Senior Director
will be expected to work from the San Francisco CARE office at
least one day per week and work remotely the remainder of the
- Bachelor's Degree
- 10 years sales or fundraising management experience in
either/or both the non-profit and for-profit context or equivalent.
Strong track record of settling and exceeding sales or fundraising
- Entrepreneurial mindset in building donor/client
- Experience working with high net-worth individuals, family
foundations and other entities based in the region consistently
supporting organizations with six-to-seven-figure gifts.
- Proven experience in results-oriented relationship management,
networking, marketing and intelligence gathering.
- Ability to meet deadlines, manage multiple responsibilities and
priorities and achieve impact and results under pressure.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills. Evidence
of strong analytic skills and strategy development.
- Computer literacy, including facility with Word, Excel, and
other Microsoft Office applications.
- Comfort and fluency with Salesforce or other fundraising
- Experience in crypto philanthropy a plus
- Experience with venture philanthropy and impact investing a
To apply for the post
Please send a letter of application no more than one page
outlining your motivation for the job and when you would be able to
start with your CV/resume, maximum two pages in English and in
strict confidence by email only to Ruth Gardner at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please ensure that they are sent as pdf documents with the
titles “your name cover letter” and “your name CV” Please put
“CARE-Senior Development Director” in the email subject line. Also
please let us know where you saw the post advertised.
The deadline for applications is Sunday 12th of February
Daryl Upsall International actively promotes equality,
diversity and inclusion. In recruiting candidates, we seek
candidates with the proven skills required; irrespective of race,
gender, religion or belief, age, disability or sexual