Americans United for Separation of Church and State seeks
a Director of Direct Response Marketing who reports
directly to the Chief Development Officer and will oversee and
administer all aspects of Americans United’s (AU) direct marketing,
digital fundraising, online fundraising, and monthly giving
programs as well as membership database management to meet
aggressive revenue projections.
The Director of Direct Response Marketing is responsible for the
planning and execution, assessment and refinement of all direct
response fundraising campaigns and channels, including
collaboration with internal stakeholders and vendor partners. This
position will lead the development of optimal strategies and
tactics designed to increase revenue, grow the donor base, increase
donor participation, and strengthen the pipeline of mid-level and
major gift donors.
- Manage the continued expansion of the direct marketing program,
implementing systems and processes to build and diversify
individual giving to achieve or exceed revenue targets;
- Develop yearly direct marketing campaign calendar in
conjunction with development team and consultants;
- Serve as the day-to-day liaison with the consultants and other
AU staff members involved in the direct mail and telemarketing
program, including the monthly giving and mid-level giving
- Initiate data-driven strategies to increase file health KPIs
with particular attention to maintaining above industry standard
- Shepherd direct mail packages through the production process
including coordinating edits with the Chief Development Officer and
appropriate AU staff members, approving copy and artwork, working
with consultants to determine appropriate segmentation, and testing
strategy and working with the Development Operations Manager to
provide files for production;
- In consultation with list management broker and agency of
record, optimize acquisition program to bring on new donors with a
focus on diversifying AU’s donor base and reactivating lapsed
donors. Closely track investment levels to ensure an acceptable ROI
and file growth year over year.
- Drive the strategy for expanding AU’s fundraising program
through online/email and digital fundraising efforts.
- Administer the planning, creation, implementation, maintenance
and analysis of online donation capabilities, data, and
- Coordinate with Communications team and other staff to plan and
implement cross-departmental online giving projects and
opportunities using social media platforms such as Facebook and
- Manage the Development Operations Manager;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree, CFRE designation a plus.
- Minimum of 8-10 years of substantive fundraising experience
with a track record of outstanding performance and proven success
in direct response fundraising positions;
- Hands-on experience with database management, management of
direct mail programs, online fundraising experience;
- Polished communication abilities including listening and
- Excellent organizational and people skills, including
- Work experience with an advocacy organization, while not
required, would be very useful.
- Equal parts smart, savvy, and fun to work with. Culture and
performance both matter;
- Tact and diplomacy in building strong working relationships
with colleagues, volunteers, and donors;
- Capacity to manage multiple tasks and negotiate several
- Advocate for church-state separation issues with a worldview
that aligns with AU's mission.
About Americans United for Separation of Church and State
Americans United for Separation of Church and State is a
nonpartisan educational and advocacy organization dedicated to
advancing the constitutional principle of church-state separation
as the only way to ensure freedom of religion, including the right
to believe or not believe, for all Americans.
Founded in 1947, Americans United is a diverse and dynamic
organization composed of people from all walks of life: lawyers and
lobbyists, students and activists, religious leaders, and
impassioned Americans. Americans United includes people of
faith and people who don’t profess any faith. It is a
community that includes and welcomes people of all genders, races,
ethnicities, religions or beliefs, gender identities, sexual
orientations, ages, classes, and abilities. Because we work on a
wide variety of issues with many different communities, we value
what diversity and diverse perspectives bring to our work.
Americans United uses high-impact litigation, powerful lobbying,
and grassroots advocacy to ensure that:
- Religion does not dictate public policy.
- The government does not tell Americans what to believe or how
to practice their faith.
- Discrimination is not justified under the guise of religious
Through a strong, diverse national supporter network, both on
the ground and online, AU defends the separation of church and
state and protects religious freedom for all in communities across
Americans United has over tens of thousands of members, with a
national network of independent state affiliates. It is a 501(c)
(3) organization. Americans United is headquartered in Washington,
Competitive Annual Salary: $100,000–$120,000
depending on experience.
Generous Benefits: Americans United offers a comprehensive
benefit package including employer paid premiums for health care,
dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term
disability, and a 401(k) with match and commuter subsidy.
Work Location: This role can work remotely from anywhere
in the U.S. or locally in our Washington, DC office. Occasional
in-person attendance at events and meetings in Washington, DC, will
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy: Americans United has made the
safety of our staff and our surrounding community a top priority.
As part of that commitment, we have implemented a mandatory
Covid-19 vaccination policy. This policy states that all Americans
United employees, fellows, and interns are required to be
vaccinated against Covid-19 and to have received a bivalent booster
shot. If a candidate selected for hire desires a medical or
religious exemption, the candidate should make a request to our
human resources personnel, and the request will be considered in
accordance with applicable law.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and a thoughtful, relevant cover letter.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Applications will
be accepted until the position is filled.
Individuals from underrepresented groups are encouraged to
apply. AU is an equal opportunity employer. We consider applicants
without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin,
age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or
any other legally protected status.