FULL-TIME JOB VACANCY
Development and Outreach
Application Deadline: January 29, 2023
The Development and Outreach Department of Human Rights Watch
(HRW) is seeking candidates for the position of Associate in the
San Francisco office. The San Francisco office serves as an
important base for HRW’s development, fundraising, and outreach
activities in the Bay Area. The San Francisco Associate provides
detail-oriented administrative support to the Development and
Outreach team, with a focus on managing and organizing the
Salesforce database while also collaborating on all communications,
administration, and event coordination. The Associate will
participate in team meetings and will have opportunities to attend
trainings and events related to human rights, as well as network
with colleagues around the world.
This position is 40 hours per week and is anticipated to start
by March 2023. Some evening and weekend work will be required for
events. The Associate will report to the San Francisco Associate
Due to COVID-19, many of our global offices are operating in
reduced capacities. The successful candidate may be required to
work remotely at times, but will be expected to work from the San
Francisco office two days a week when it is safe to do so. We
recognize that this moment, during the pandemic, is a uniquely
difficult time for most people, particularly those with caregiving
responsibilities, and we aim to be as flexible and supportive as
possible in both the recruitment for and onboarding of this
1. Database & Donor
Operations: Maintain San Francisco’s Salesforce and
Marketing Cloud database, ensuring data accuracy and recording all
information in a timely manner:
- Enter donations in the database upon receipt, including all
details on the donor and corresponding campaign;
- Draft and track the status of gift acknowledgement and
thank-you notes for donors;
- Create and update donor profiles on Salesforce with relevant
communications and information;
- Pull donor interest reports and share with the team, tied to
upcoming events, new reports, or research updates on specific
- Code donors and event attendees in Salesforce;
- Merge duplicates and clean up data when errors are found;
- Coordinate gifts from donors through credit card, wire, and
check processing; and
- Support major gifts through prospect research, meeting
preparation, follow-up email drafts, and direct communication and
coordination with donors.
2. Event Coordination
- Prepare communications for San Francisco events, including
creating an email invitation and sending reminders and a follow-up
email after the event;
- Oversee RSVP lists for events, updating lists daily and sharing
with event hosts;
- Coordinate logistics for in person and virtual events including
organize prep calls with speakers, create and share an event
show-flow, organize the venue visits as needed, record virtual
events, and coordinate set up and take down;
- Support the San Francisco team’s largest donor event of the
year held each spring;
3. Communications & Outreach
- Prepare, draft, edit, format, and distribute correspondence and
documents to share with the community;
- Maintain an annual touch points calendar tracking donor
communications, keeping the team on track to email or call donors
with regular frequency throughout the year;
- Provide administrative support to the department such as
scheduling, preparing for and taking minutes at meetings, preparing
background materials, making travel arrangements, and responding to
- Process and pay invoices for all San Francisco contractors,
vendors, honorariums, and other Development team transactions;
- Coordinate physical mailings to donors and prospects; and
- Perform other duties as required.
Education: A bachelor’s degree or equivalent
work experience is required.
Experience: A minimum of one year of relevant
work experience is required.
Related Skills and Knowledge:
- Professional experience using Salesforce or similar database
systems is required.
- Prior office/administration experience and strong
organizational skills is required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English is
- Ability to work well under deadlines while juggling multiple
tasks simultaneously is required.
- Proficiency in computer packages including MS Office
applications is required.
- Experience with event planning and logistics is required.
- Strong interest in international human rights is
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate with
a variety of audiences is desirable.
- Self-motivation and the ability to prioritize with minimal
supervision and work independently as well as function as a member
of a team with staff in locations globally is desirable.
Other: Applicants must possess valid US work
Salary and Benefits: The salary range for
this position is $52,000- 56,415. Human Rights Watch offers
comprehensive employer-paid benefits, including medical, dental,
vision, disability and life insurance, a retirement savings plan
and twenty (20) days of vacation per year.
How to Apply: Please apply immediately or
by January 29, 2023 by visiting our online job portal
at careers.hrw.org and attaching a
letter of interest and resume or CV. No calls or email inquiries,
please. Only complete applications will be reviewed and only
shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
If you are experiencing technical difficulties with your
application submission, or if you require a disability-related
accommodation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the
large response, application submissions via email will not be
accepted and inquiries regarding the status of applications will go
Human Rights Watch is strong because it is
diverse. We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and
encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. Human Rights
Watch does not discriminate on the basis of disability, age, gender
identity and expression, national origin, race and ethnicity,
religious beliefs, sexual orientation, or criminal record. We
welcome all kinds of diversity. Our employees include people who
are parents and nonparents, the self-taught and university
educated, and from a wide span of socio-economic backgrounds and
perspectives on the world. Human Rights Watch is an equal
Human Rights Watch is an international human rights monitoring
and advocacy organization known for its in-depth investigations,
its incisive and timely reporting, its innovative and high-profile
advocacy campaigns, and its success in changing the human
rights-related policies and practices of influential governments
and international institutions.