Chief Executive Officer
Who We Are
Retrieving Freedom, Inc. (“RFI”) is a non-profit organization
that changes the lives of Veterans with disabilities and children
with Autism through the placement of exceptionally well-trained
service dogs at no cost to the recipient. We breed and train
carefully chosen dogs that exhibit specific traits necessary to
perform tasks to help these individuals, and we believe in matching
the dog to the recipient. Our training program isn’t designed
to train each dog to follow a certain program. Instead, dogs are
trained to meet the needs of their specific recipient. The dogs go
through more than two years of training to meet our strict
standards for a successful placement. The service dogs we train
help improve the lives of the people they are placed with. Not only
do they help with specific chores and perform tasks associated with
their training, but they also offer companionship and
unconditional love. RFI operates out of two locations,
Waverly, Iowa, and Sedalia, Missouri as an accredited member
of Assistance Dogs
With the expansion of RFI’s in-house breeding program to double
the number of clients we serve each year; the coming launch of an
apprentice training program; and exciting new funding
opportunities, RFI seeks an experienced, collaborative, and mission
driven individual to ensure we have a stable foundation for this
growth and to execute the Board of Directors vision of increasing
the number of lives RFI impacts each year.
The CEO will take an active role as the face of the organization
and must exhibit a strong commitment to team building, fostering
collaboration, effectively communicating, and most importantly, be
open to listening and learning how RFI has achieved its current
success while simultaneously providing the desired leadership to
expand our organization’s impact.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the CEO will lead the
management of facility operations, fund development, public
relations, and all other areas required to implement the strategic
plan developed with collaboration of the Board.
Essential Duties and
- Implements all policies and directives of the Board.
- Ensures that a strategic plan is developed and
- Ensures that RFI is financially viable and operates according
to the best financial practices.
- Develop and lead a highly effective team of directors and
managers creating a strong cohesive team environment that enables
individual career growth and high functionality.
- Works collaboratively with staff and ensures that they are
integrated into, and have active involvement in, RFI activities and
- Leads prospect outreach and donor communication in accordance
with the developed plan.
- Manages the relationship with communities in which we are
located as well as supporting organizations and businesses to
ensure strong support for RFI.
- Ensures that RFI is in compliance with all Federal, state, and
- Ensures that high quality services are provided.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of leading a
- Knowledge of and experience with financial, quality
improvement, human resources, and strategic planning
- Ability to motivate individuals and groups to work together at
an elevated level to achieve RFI goals.
- Ability to effectively communicate in a positive manner with
diverse groups and individuals, including public speaking.
- Ability to organize resources to meet targets and achieve
- Uncompromising passion for and alignment with the mission.
- An authentic, honest individual with integrity who leads with
empathy, trust and transparency, balanced with an ability to be
decisive and firm, holding people and teams accountable and driving
- Visible, inspiring leader who carries themselves with humility
and is a self-aware leader who listens and collaborates across the
- An engaged leader who acts with courage and is willing and able
to make complex decisions that are in the best interest of the
- Exceptional communicator with high emotional intelligence and
outstanding people skills.
- Promotes a culture of accountability.
Qualifications, Education and
- Master’s degree in business administration or equivalent,
- Minimum of five years’ experience in a leadership position in
organizations that provide services to the public.
- Experience working with individual constituents, recipients and
Licenses and Credentials
- All accreditations required to keep RFI in good standing within
the industries we serve
- Must be able to sit for most work tasks.
- Must be able to lift 25 pounds occasionally.
- Intermittent standing and walking.
- Occasional lifting and bending.
This position is primarily stationed in a controlled-temperature
environment. The position may require occasional and limited
exposure to natural weather elements. The position will have
frequent contact with dogs. Travel requirements can be as
high as 50% of your time in any given month.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: From $100,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible schedule
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Vision insurance
Schedule: Monday to
Friday (occasional weekends, as needed)
Supplemental pay types: Bonus
commute/relocate: Sedalia, MO
65301: Reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work
Work Location: One primary location, but oversight
and travel between facilities is expected.
Experience: Senior leadership: 5