About Patient Empowerment Network
Since 2009, the Patient Empowerment Network (PEN) has been
improving treatment outcomes and health equity for cancer patients
and care partners at every step of their journey. Our 501(c)(3)
non-profit organization provides free online resources covering
diagnosis and testing, treatment, clinical trials, financing,
recovery, and survivorship. We connect those in need to programs,
experts, peers, and tailored resources that catalyze improved
What differentiates PEN from other cancer advocacy groups is
that we take patient education a step further; we educate, then
ACTIVATE cancer patients and their care partners to become
co-decision makers with their healthcare teams. By insisting on the
most current and personalized care available, empowered patients
achieve better treatment outcomes. To view our programs, please
visit our website.
Our 2022 programs served more than 362,500 patients and care
partners and our 2023 programs are on track to reach even more
people impacted by cancer.
Executive Director Job Summary
Patient Empowerment Network (PEN) is seeking an experienced
Executive Director (ED) for a full-time, remote-based role.
Reporting to the PEN Board of Directors, the ED will have overall
strategic and operational responsibility for PEN’s staff, programs,
and the execution of its mission. The ED will:
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of PEN and ensure the
organization’s overall successful long-term
- Make consistent and timely progress in achieving PEN’s mission
and target programmatic impact.
- Provide leadership and oversight in developing programs,
organizational, and financial plans and execute the policies
authorized by the board of directors while ensuring the
organization’s financial sustainability.
- Lead the PEN staff with a leadership style that is inclusive,
collaborative, and empowering.
- Contribute as a thought-leader and influencer within the cancer
advocacy space through participation in advisory committees,
conferences, forums, podcasts, and other outlets which will raise
the visibility of PEN’s mission.
Leadership and Management
- Lead, manage, and guide the organization to attain continued
growth, success, and optimal mission impact for PEN’s programs and
- Ensure ongoing program excellence, rigorous program evaluation,
and consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising,
communications, and systems; determine timelines and resources
needed to achieve PEN’s strategic goals.
- Actively engage in complex fiscal management through hands on
budgetary development and oversight.
- Establish goals, objectives, and operational plans in
collaboration with the board of directors, staff, and other
- Ensure effective systems to track progress, and regularly
evaluate program components, so as to measure successes that can be
effectively communicated to the board of directors, funders, and
- Recruit and lead new staff as the organization
- Develop and implement plans for staff development, retention,
- Foster a collaborative working environment, encourage
professional development, and champion accountability amongst
staff. Recognize and reward contributions.
Collaboration with PEN Board of
- Provide leadership and assistance to the board of directors in
developing and reviewing the organization’s mission and strategic
- Communicate effectively with the board of directors by
providing them with all information necessary to continually
function properly and make informed decisions in a timely and
- Implement board policy and directives.
- Ensure the organization’s financial resources are properly
managed and report the organization’s financial position to the
board of directors quarterly.
- Develop, maintain, and support a strong board of directors;
serve or appoint staff as a member of each committee; seek and
build board of directors’ involvement with strategic organizational
- Plan and attend all board meetings (held quarterly) and provide
reports and updates on staff as well as all current work, project
timelines, and project and organizational progress.
- Expand fundraising activities to support existing program
operations and organizational growth.
- Drive development and fundraising in collaboration with the
Development Director and the board of directors.
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communications—from web
presence to external relations with the goal of creating a
stronger, well-recognized brand.
- Grow, foster, and utilize external presence and relationships
to garner new opportunities.
- Effectively communicate the goals, purpose, and programs of the
organization to external stakeholders.
- Effectively represent the organization’s mission, values, and
promote a positive organizational brand.
Planning and Business Development
- In collaboration with the staff and board of directors, build
and execute PEN’s 2023-2026 strategic plan and future strategic
- Build partnerships, establish strong relationships with
funders, and political and community leaders at each expansion
- Publish and communicate program results with an emphasis on the
outcomes of PEN’s programs.
- A demonstrated passion for PEN’s mission and vision.
- At least 5 years prior executive leadership experience,
preferably at a non-profit in the cancer patient advocacy/education
or other healthcare space.
- A proven track record of growing organizational capacity and
- Possess keen business acumen with strategic ability and
understanding of the evolving cancer advocacy
- Proven abilities and experience in fiscal management and
preparing and securing board approval for a complex organizational
- Capacity to excel at influencing and leading an organization
toward positive growth.
- Capable of designing and directing strategies that enhance and
support organizational operations.
- Experience with fostering an environment of accountability,
healthy work relationships and partnerships, inclusivity among
staff and in recruitment in order to maintain a positive and
collaborative work environment.
- Detail-oriented with excellent communication, organizational,
- Enthusiasm for leading individuals from diverse
- Experience in creating and establishing clear, measurable
- Ability to lead and manage in a virtual work
The ideal candidate for this role will have led a non-profit
organization; thrive in a fast-paced, constantly evolving
non-profit environment; be comfortable leading a remote team; and
have excellent interpersonal and communication
Compensation & Work Environment
PEN is committed to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) in
the hiring of our staff and the creation, implementation, and
distribution of our programs. To read more about our commitment to
DEI, please read PEN’s
The base salary for the Executive Director position is $108,000.
Candidates with more than 5 years of executive leadership
experience will be eligible for additional compensation, up to
$120,000, according to a calculation which will be shared during
the interview process.
We also offer a benefits package:
- 15 annual paid vacation or personal days;
- Flexible remote work schedule;
- Summer Fridays (half day Fridays, June—August);
- Annual $1,500 professional development stipend;
- $5,000 Health Reimbursement Account for medical
- All benefits are pro-rated according to start-date.
As part of Patient Empowerment Network’s (PEN’s) commitment to
compensation equity and transparency, we have a no-negotiation
policy. Salary negotiations can introduce bias and perpetuate wage
inequality. Successful staff at PEN have annual opportunities for
increases in compensation based on factors including performance,
cost of living increases, and/or expansion of
If you are interested in applying, please visit https://powerfulpatients.org/edapplication/
and complete the embedded form, including the following three
questions, and provide your resume using the upload link provided
at the end of the form. A cover letter or other materials you may
wish to share are optional. Applications will be accepted until the
Executive Director role is filled.
1) How do Patient Empowerment Network’s mission and values resonate
with you, personally?
2) What do you feel will be your highest point of contribution
to Patient Empowerment Network’s mission and
3) How will you utilize your skills, connections and expertise
to contribute to the expansion of Patient Empowerment Network’s