Overview of Meals on Wheels America
Meals on Wheels America is the leadership organization
supporting the more than 5,000 community-based programs across the
country that are dedicated to addressing senior isolation and
hunger. This network serves virtually every community in America
and, along with more than two million staff and volunteers,
delivers the nutritious meals, friendly visits and safety checks
that enable America’s seniors to live nourished lives with
independence and dignity. By providing funding, leadership,
education, research and advocacy support, Meals on Wheels America
empowers its local member programs to strengthen their communities,
one senior at a time.
The Senior Manager of Major Gifts and Individual Giving is a new
position that will play a key role in defining and executing a
strategy to grow the major gift and mid-level revenue channels
build a strong pipeline of future major individual donors. Meals on
Wheels America is seeking a motivated, innovative, strategic and
organized fundraising professional to manage this portfolio of
donors, build a mid to major gift program for our organization’s
rapidly growing Annual Fund.
Reporting to the Sr. Director of Development, this position is
responsible for identifying, qualifying, cultivating, soliciting,
closing, and stewarding major and mid-level individual gifts for
Meals on Wheels America. The successful candidate is a metrics
driven fundraiser, experienced working with high level prospects
and has a proven ability to secure outright mid/major gifts or
This position is based in Arlington, VA and preference will be
given to candidates with local access to our Arlington office.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and manage a portfolio of major donors ($5,000+) and
mid-level ($1,000 - $5,000) and serve as lead relationship manager
developing and implementing strategies to cultivate, steward and
solicit donors to achieve revenue targets.
- Strategically researches and cultivates donors in a variety of
ways to identify specific donor interests and deepen their
connection to the organization.
- Manages the individual prospect pipeline and develops
strategies that provide a pathway for renewed and increased giving
for the Major Donor Segment and Leadership Circle segment.
- Maximize donor data and wealth screening to identify current
individual donors who may be cultivated for increased giving.
- Creates compelling personalized and customized donor
collateral, communications, solicitations, and materials.
- Produces prospect research, donor profiles, and meeting
briefings related to individual donors.
- Works collaboratively with the Annual Fund team to support
Chief Development Officer and President & CEO’s donor outreach
efforts, including managing assignments, preparing briefing
materials, drafting correspondence, prompting action steps, and
- Regularly enters action steps and prospect information into the
Customer Relationship Management system (CRM); supports ongoing
management and refreshing of CRM data.
- Participates as a member of the Development Team, in a manner
that facilitates collaboration, cooperation and project integration
both within the work unit and across departmental boundaries.
- Monitors industry best practices, trends and new technologies
to propose innovative fundraising strategies and tactics.
- 5-7 years of experience in non-profit fundraising or related
fields: political fundraising, advocacy, etc.
- Proven track record in successfully cultivating and soliciting
gifts from individuals.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills (both oral
and written) and ability to build rapport quickly and grow
relationships over time.
- Self-motivated and ability to work in a fast-paced environment
and follow through independently on tasks and drive action by
colleagues at all levels.
- Integrity to maintain a high degree of confidentiality and data
- Excels in a team-based, collaborative, virtual environment
working across the enterprise to advance the Association’s mission,
values, and goals.
- Proficiency with MS Office products including Word, Excel,
Power Point and Outlook.
- NetForum or other donor CRM experience a plus.
- Flexibility in working both remotely and coming into the
Arlington, VA office as needed.
- Willingness to travel for donor visits as needed (less than 25%
- Comfort working in a rapidly growing and evolving
- Models the Association's cultural attributes of collaboration,
learning, accountability, and service, augmented by a strong
commitment to Race Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
Please consider applying if you meet 75% of the
Benefits - Competitive base salary, medical, dental, vision,
life, AD&D, short and long-term disability, 403(b) contribution
with company match, paid time off, 11 paid holidays per year, paid
parental leave, flexible schedules, Employee Assistance Program,
legal & pet insurance options, and more.
Meals on Wheels America is an Inclusive Workforce/Employer and
encourages applications from qualified persons of every race,
ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, age, veteran status,
sexual orientation, and disability.