Associate Director Development
- The National Academy of Sciences
- District of Columbia, United States
- Salary Commensurate with experience
- Closing date
- Feb 23, 2023
- Position Type
- Fundraising, Major Gifts
- Education, Other Fields, Research
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Works with the Director of Development, Climate for assigned National Academy Program Divisions, Academy senior leadership, and Development Office colleagues to plan, implement, and coordinate effective strategies and approaches to identify, cultivate, solicit and close major and leadership gifts from corporations, foundations, and individuals. Strong focus on foundation and corporate fundraising with the ability to secure institutional support of six and seven figures. Collaborates with the director of development to set annual fundraising goals and executes plans. Manages a portfolio of major gift prospects including qualification/discovery, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship, via face-to-face meetings, zooms, phone calls, emails, etc. Travels locally and nationally to visit prospects. Prepares and reviews fundraising letters, proposals, power point presentations, and other materials. Liaises and coordinates with Academy membership, program, and executive offices, and development colleagues to plan and deliver fundraising goals. Actively participates in building a culture of philanthropy across the organization as part of a high performing team. Works collaboratively across a decentralized development office and with senior program colleagues across a multi-tiered institution. High level of customer service and ability to interact with colleagues using diplomacy and discretion is expected.
JOB SPECIFICATIONS Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Appreciation of the importance of sciences, engineering and medicine and the mission of the Academies. Thorough understanding of philanthropy and professional trends.
- Knowledge and understanding of sophisticated fundraising practices and essential functions of a pro-active and innovative fundraising organization.
- Ability to conceptualize, plan, and implement a programmatic approach to building relationships and securing philanthropic support including setting ambitious goals, developing strategies for cultivation, solicitation, stewardship, prioritizing activities, planning and delivering events, and orchestrating the involvement of volunteers and organization leadership.
- Strong track record of securing gifts of six and seven figures from institutional donors.
- Ability to prioritize work and the flexibility to change directions as the job dictates.
- Ability to solve problems and think creatively.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert