At the Monterey Bay Aquarium, we are passionate about creating
an inclusive workplace that celebrates and values diversity. We
firmly believe that having a team of diverse backgrounds and
voices, working together, increases our capacity to serve our
visitors and fulfill our mission. We welcome people from all
walks of life into our team and strongly encourage people of color,
LGBTQ+ individuals, veterans, and people with disabilities to
Under limited supervision, manage and grow our gift planning
program consistent with best practices, Aquarium guidelines and
regulatory requirements. Plan and implement donor relations
and marketing strategies, together with stewardship of the Betty
White Ocean Legacy Circle and Endowment Society donors and
prospects. Perform other duties as required.
- Develop annual strategies for cultivation, solicitations, and
stewardship of Betty White Ocean Legacy Circle donors, in
collaboration with GP team.
- Create annual calendar for communication and marketing with GP
team and then ensure the timely execution of all activities of
calendar throughout the year, ensuring ongoing coordination with
schedules of membership and annual fund.
- Engage in personal communication with prospects and donors to
grow BWOLC, especially rolling 200 targets in personal
- Design and produce seminars, receptions, meetings and events
specific to GP division, in collaboration with events and
- Partner with Donor Relations Officers when appropriate to
jointly call on donors for annual and special gifts and PG
- Recommend creative ideas and produce collateral for Gift
Planning, in collaboration with the Marketing department.
- With outside vendors, oversee additions and revisions to PG’s
exclusive web pages.
- Develop special appeals for endowment, in collaboration with VP
Gift Planning and others.
- Execute monthly, quarterly and annual progress reports for
BWOLC, endowment giving and bequest activity, in collaboration with
Gift Planning Coordinator.
- Read, analyze and take requisite action on planned gift tax
forms, probate proceedings, estate documents and gift processing
for bequests and endowments, in collaboration with Finance team and
- Liaison to specialized software, maintaining contract as well
as preparing sample gift illustrations for donors.
- Maintain technical expertise in planned gifts and estate
planning, including maintenance of Aquarium’s Gift Acceptance
Policy and Procedures consistent with best practices and regulatory
Preferred Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Four-year degree or equivalent combination of education,
training and experience
- Five years experience in a fundraising role with legacy giving
- Experience in creating donor communications, including
marketing materials, letters and reports
- Ability to examine financial and legal documents
- High level of initiative, excellent organization skills and
attention to detail
- Excellent customer service and written/oral communication
- Experience working with software such as Tessitura or Raiser’s
Edge and PG Calc
- Excellent computer skills including Word, Excel
- Ability to work within, and maintain Monterey Bay Aquarium’s
Annual Compensation Range:
$73,600-$91,000 USD annually. Starting rate will vary based on
previous experience and relevant skills/knowledge set.