Director of Development and Community Relations
- CalWest Educators Placement
- California, United States
- $90,000.00 - $110,000.00
- Closing date
- Mar 1, 2023
- Position Type
- Fundraising, Alumni Affairs, Direct Marketing, Donor Relations, Fundraising Administration, Major Gifts, Planned Giving, Other Fundraising, Special Events, Programs, Community Outreach, Program Administration and Management, Administrative, Public Relations and Communications
- Academic Centers, Arts, Community Development, Community Foundations, Education, Philanthropic Advisors, Youth
- Employment Type
- Full Time
CalWest's client school in the Greater San Diego Area is seeking a Director of Development & Community Engagement to begin July 1, 2023.Responsibilities:
- Develop, coordinate, and execute the School's two major fundraising initiatives
- Manage the School’s foundation-relations program, including writing grant proposals, arranging site visits, and preparing annual reports to funders.
- Ensure that all gifts are entered, processed, and reconciled correctly.
- Create and implement a comprehensive stewardship program that thanks and recognizes donors and volunteers for their investment of time, talent, and treasure.
- Develop and oversee the Alumni, Alumni Parent, and Grandparent Programs.
- Provide staff support for the Board's Development and Community Relations Committees.
- Plan and execute all friend- and fundraising events and community relations activities.
- Contribute to marketing and communications efforts to expand and enhance the School’s visibility, image, and reputation and to develop an appreciation of the School’s mission, vision, and goals.
- Work closely with the Business Office in forecasting donor revenue for budgeting purposes and have proficiency using development software.
- Coordinate with the Business Office to oversee the accurate processing of all gift income.
- Oversee and coordinate community service initiatives and community relations efforts, in partnership with the Community Relations Committee.
- Keep the Head of School abreast of plans for and the status of development and community relations initiatives.
- Become and remain actively engaged in school life.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Head of School.
- A generative thinker who possesses vision and practicality in moving fundraising initiatives from concept into action
- A collaborative team leader who empowers staff and volunteers to feel ownership of their projects and a sense of camaraderie in the community
- At least five years in the field of institutional development, preferably with an education-related organization, that includes leadership roles in annual and major gift programs, capital and endowment campaigns, communications, special events, and constituent relations
- Successful experience in, and enthusiasm for, donor cultivation, vendor solicitation, and major gift solicitation and completion
- History of recruiting, training, motivating, and working with volunteers in leadership roles
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Ability to conceptualize, plan, and implement a cohesive strategy for development and marketing/communications
- Natural networking instincts that make one adept at developing meaningful relationships with donors and understanding their individual motivations to give
- An understanding of independent school culture that allows one to perceive and to capitalize on the connections between people, programs, and development goals
- A willingness to understand the School's mission and conduct oneself in keeping with the School values and culture
- An interest in designing and promoting community service opportunities for students and families
- Proven ability to balance multiple priorities and meet frequent deadlines in a complex environment
- A commitment to seek best practice professional growth experiences that augments development work
- Ability to use technology (e.g. databases and other giving platforms) to support development goals
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, and the ability to be a vocal and visible advocate both internally and externally
- Personality and disposition characterized by collaboration, collegiality, excellent follow-through, discretion, openness to suggestions, and a kind sense of humor
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert