- National Academy of Design
- New York, United States
- $60,000.00 - $70,000.00
- Closing date
- Mar 1, 2023
- Position Type
- Fundraising, Corporate and Foundation Relations, Donor Relations, Fundraising Administration, Grant Seeking, Membership, Prospect Research, Other Fundraising, Special Events, Administrative, Arts Administration, Other Administrative
- Employment Type
- Full Time
ABOUT THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF DESIGN
Founded in 1825, the National Academy of Design promotes art and architecture in America. As the leading honorary society for visual artists and architects in the United States, we advocate for the arts as a tool for education, celebrate the role of artists and architects in public life, and serve as a catalyst for cultural conversations that propel society forward. As it looks ahead to its 200th anniversary in 2025, the National Academy of Design is at an especially exciting moment of reinvention and possibility. Following the sale of its buildings on New York’s Museum Mile and the subsequent creation of a board-restricted endowment, the National Academy is refocusing on the artists and architects who are at the core of its mission and developing a vibrant schedule of exhibitions and programs that builds on the Academy’s extraordinary history to explore critical issues in contemporary art, architecture, and culture.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Reporting to the Director of Development, the Development Manager is an entrepreneurial, results-driven fundraising professional who will help create and implement fundraising strategies that achieve the organization’s philanthropic goals. This full-time, exempt position is responsible for implementing a broad-based strategy to secure and increase financial support through individual gifts and corporate and foundation grants. The ideal candidate will be personable, analytical, articulate, and an excellent written and verbal communicator. The Development Manager works to build a culture of philanthropy that is inclusive of all stakeholders.
- Develop and implement a membership program aimed at cultivating deeper ties with donors (individual giving $50 - $2,499)
- Support Director of Development in researching and identifying prospects, matching donor interests to institution goals, and soliciting and stewarding donor relationships
- Support and partner with the Director of Development on all major fundraising initiatives
- Work in partnership with rest of the staff to ensure donor data integrity (Salesforce)
- Work in partnership with the Director of Development and Communications team on annual fundraising campaigns
- Coordinate and conduct meetings with donors and prospects, as needed
- Conduct donor/prospect research and prepare briefing materials for the Director of Development
- Work with the senior leadership team to coordinate funding proposals and reports for federal, state, city government RFPs, as well as private foundation and corporate funding opportunities
- Monitor news, philanthropic publications, prospect database, and alerts to identify new prospects
- Support additional development projects as needed
- Passion for the National Academy’s mission is essential
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; demonstrated ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships
- Three or more years of related professional experience in development at a not-for- profit organization
- Demonstrated experience using Salesforce or similar CRM
- Strong organizational skills
- Flexible and adaptable work and interpersonal style
- Ability to work both independently without close oversight, but also function as a team player who will take initiative, and manage multiple tasks and projects concurrently
- Experience planning and assisting with the production of fundraising events, such as art auctions or galas
- Ability to travel as required and assist with/attend selected fundraising events as needed (some nights and weekends required)
- Prior “small shop” experience preferred
- Some knowledge of and experience navigating government grant databases; experience writing government and/or foundation grant proposals preferred but not required
Please submit a résumé and 1-page cover letter, combined in one PDF titled “Last Name_DEVELOPMENT MANAGER,” via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include Development Manager in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
The salary for this position is $60,000-$70,000 annually and includes an excellent, comprehensive benefits package.
At present, this position is partially remote and is New York based.
The National Academy of Design is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strongly encourage women, veterans, people with disabilities, people of color, and gender nonconforming candidates to apply. The National Academy of Design is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, sex, age, gender identification, national origin, creed, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or political affiliation.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert