Director, External Communications
- New York, United States
- $85,000.00 - $100,000.00
- Closing date
- Mar 2, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Public Relations and Communications
- Advocacy, Other Fields
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Title of Position: Director, External Communications
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: SVP, Development//Dotted line to VP, Policy & Planning
Salary: $85,000 - $100,000
Positions reporting to this position: Partners with Manager, Internal Communications
Purpose of the Position
The Director of External Communications is a vital member of the Executive Office, working with the Development team, as well as the Policy & Planning team. The role works closely with the various Win teams, and Win’s Public Affairs consulting service. The Director of External Communications will develop and implement the plan for Win’s external communications including social media content, print materials, donor communications, and advocacy efforts. This position will also work collaboratively with the Director of Internal Communications in ensuring alignment and flow of information to all stakeholders in a seamless and coordinated way.
- Create, with the SVP Development, a comprehensive and ongoing strategic communications plan in terms of messaging/content, vehicles for communications, social media and public relations.
- Run Win’s relationship with its Public Affairs firm in its entirety, identifying and strategizing on earned media opportunities, coordinating any necessary collateral and/or interagency participation in such opportunities.
- Define and refine messages/themes for use in marketing materials, such as those for fundraising, advocacy, and other external purposes, to reflect both earned media and marketing strategies.
- Run Win’s social media, manage and track the scheduling, posting, monitoring, and tracking of social media (IG, FB, Twitter, LinkedIn).
- Implement branding strategies for Win’s website, collateral materials, logos, stationery, and more.
- Review all edited material from internal and external sources to ensure current organization website editorials are accurate.
- Communicate with Win leadership concerning new campaigns, review outgoing communications and work with the fundraising team on communication to board members and donors.
- With Internal Communications Director, establish relationships with internal stakeholders.
- Serve as the website manager to oversee content and overall maintenance.
- manage web team meetings.
- contribute and assist with the writing of content for the website.
- interview program staff for and write profiles for donor communications.
- compile and edit bios for the website.
- Refresh the website 2/3 times a year.
- Create and shape a regular Win eNewsletter for donors and other Win constituencies.
- Work with Development team and graphic designer to produce annual report, printed/online stewardship pieces, solicitation pieces, materials for events and galas, and other items as needed.
- Organize and maintain the communications calendar.
- Follow press activity and news across homelessness issues.
- Provide staffing support to development team (day and evening events as needed)
- Photographing as needed for events and publications and maintaining the photo database.
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Must have outstanding written, verbal, and social communication skills
- Must have expertise in social media publication and production
- Must be proficient on graphic software such as Adobe, Canva, PowerPoint, etc.
- Must use public transportation to travel to Win sites and other related meetings
- Commitment to Win’s vision, mission and values.
- BA/BS plus 5-7 years of experience in communications/marketing, online organizing, or content creation required.
- Experience managing external/internal communications in a nonprofit environment or agency.
- Self-starter, with ability to manage a number of programs/projects simultaneously in fast-paced environment often interrupted with immediate support requirements.
- Must be able to prioritize work on a daily basis and workload may demand working extended hours as necessary.
- Excellent verbal, writing, editing and proofing skills.
- Ability to write quickly and in a range of styles for different end uses (Talking points, newsletter stories, social media, etc.).
- Strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrated use of a variety of web tools, including multiple Content Management Systems (CMS) platforms and social media.
- Knowledge of Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) and video editing skills a plus.
- Knowledge of graphic design and desktop publishing programs, including Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator.
- Photography skills a plus.
- Spanish a plus.
- Leading Others: Sets an example by following Win policies and procedures. Acts with a high degree of professionalism. Participates in informative meetings with staff and communicates critical information.
- Facilitating Change: Delivers high quality results consistently. Supports innovation and manages consequences. Seeks to learn new skills and participates in professional development. Proposes new approaches, methods, or technologies.
- Managing Performance: Ensures tasks are completed appropriately. Works effectively with peers and interacts respectfully with coworkers. Participates actively in team meetings. Works effectively with peers.
- Applies and Develops Expertise: Demonstrates depth of knowledge and skill and applies technical knowledge to solve a range of problems. Keeps informed about cutting edge methodology in his/her area. Pays attention to detail. Develops and meets challenging but achievable goals. Understands consequences. Manages time and problem solves effectively.
- Communicating and Collaborating: Understands and embodies the values and mission of Win. Keeps the manager informed about progress and problems; avoids surprises.
WIN’S DIVERSITY, EQUITY, INCLUSION & BELONGING HIRING COMMITMENT
Our most effective service to our community comes from a diverse mix of minds, backgrounds and experience. As a result, we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment. Win actively seeks a diverse applicant pool and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply. We provide equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic disposition, neurodiversity, disability, veteran status or any other protected category under federal, state and local law.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert