Assistant Director, Communications
- Her Justice
- New York, United States
- $75,000.00 - $85,000.00
- Closing date
- Mar 4, 2023
- Position Type
- Fundraising, Fundraising Administration, Other Fundraising, Special Events, Programs, Program Administration and Management, Administrative, Other Administrative, Public Relations and Communications
- Advocacy, Legal Services, Social Services
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Position: Assistant Director, Communications
Reports to: Director of Development and Communications
Organization: Her Justice (www.herjustice.org)
Location: 100 Broadway, 10th floor, New York, NY 10005
Her Justice is a nonprofit organization that stands with women living in poverty in New York City by recruiting and mentoring volunteer lawyers to provide free legal help to address individual and systemic legal barriers. Her Justice is looking to add a self-motivated individual to our team who will further our organization’s goal of connecting women living in poverty with volunteer lawyers in the areas of family, matrimonial, and immigration law and supporting implementation of the organization’s policy strategic plan and the policy mission to reform the civil justice system such that it produces the most favorable outcomes for women like our clients, through processes that are as equitable, empowering, and as efficient as possible.
Please Note: Our office is currently open. Staff are given an option to work from home, work from the office, or a combination of both, in whatever way enables them to fulfill their role. However, this position is based in our New York City office and the candidate must be based in New York City. All Her Justice staff are provided with a business laptop computer.
The Assistant Director, Communications is responsible for designing and implementing communications strategies to help reach the funding needs of a growing organization. A successful Assistant Director, Communications understands their role as a key member of the team, bringing forward creative communications approaches to new and existing events and activities.
- Serve as a leader and thought-partner in the Department of
Development and Communications and across the organization
- Partner with the Director of Development and Communications to develop and lead communications strategies that support the long-term fundraising goals of the organization
- Partner with the Director of Law and Policy and the policy team to develop communications strategies that support organizational advocacy efforts
- Develop strategies to deploy Executive Director and other staff to position the organization as a thought leader in the field
- Oversee organization-wide brand strategy and identity
2. Responsible for the design and execution of all print and digital communications
- Partner with the Assistant Director, Development, on all communications needs related to events and fundraising campaigns, including co-leading strategic visioning and project management to ensure successful delivery of compelling mission content and materials
- Write, design and produce in-house communications materials, including an annual report, informational one-pagers, newsletters, and e-blasts.
- Manage outside graphic designers and/or video production teams for complex projects, such as event packages and policy reports.
- Oversee social media strategy across platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Twitter. Vet all posts and channels for consistent messaging and create regular analytics for all platforms.
- Oversee maintenance of the website, including major edits, updates and search engine optimization features, with the support of a web consultant, and ensure timely updates and accurate information. Hire and manage web development vendors for major projects as needed.
3. Create and respond to media opportunities that lift up the important work of the organizatio
- Draft press releases and pitches, and maintain robust media contact list.
- Prepare leadership for media conversations by providing relevant materials and talking points and support staff in writing Op Eds and articles.
4. With the Assistant Director, Development, co-manage the Communications and Events Assistant responsible for supporting all digital communications and fundraising events and campaigns.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or 5-10 years of relevant work experience
Salary: $75K - $85K, commensurate with experience. Benefits include medical insurance, 401K plan and liberal vacation policy.How to Apply:
To apply, please submit an application here. Only qualified applicants will be contacted for an interview. No phone calls, please.
Resumes and cover letters will be reviewed on a rolling basis to select candidates. The first round of interviews of selected candidates will be by video conference. Candidates chosen for a second interview may be asked to complete a brief assignment and will meet remotely with several staff who will be identified in advance. References will be checked for candidate(s) prior to any offer being made.
Since our founding in 1993, the ability of Her Justice to succeed in transforming the lives of thousands of women facing legal challenges has, in large part, been due to our philosophy of hard work from many dedicated employees and volunteers. Her Justice is committed to fostering and preserving an open and friendly working environment that is conducive to positive growth and development; and to respect human dignity, encouraging a collegial atmosphere, and providing a generally enjoyable place to work. Her Justice is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, creed, color, citizenship, marital status, partnership status, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, public assistance status, domestic violence or sex offense victim status, genetic information, pregnancy (and recovery from childbirth and related medical conditions), unemployment status, arrest or conviction record (as provided for by applicable law), or any other class or status protected by law.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert