Major Gifts Officer
- The North Carolina Arboretum
- North Carolina, United States
- $64,000.00 - $72,000.00
- Closing date
- Mar 21, 2023
- Position Type
- Fundraising, Annual Fund, Donor Relations, Fundraising Administration, Major Gifts
- Education, Environment, Other Fields, Youth
- Employment Type
- Full Time
ASHEVILLE - The Major Gifts
Officer (MGO) will be a member of a robust
Development team that supports the mission of The North Carolina
Arboretum through efforts to advance the culture of philanthropy
within the current and growing constituent base. The MGO will work
with the Director of Development to create and execute successful
strategies for the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of
donors. With a special focus on five-figure, multi-year gifts to
support The North Carolina Arboretum Society’s endowment, funds,
special projects and programs, this position will have a direct
impact on mission delivery.
The Major Gifts Officer will be an accomplished fundraising professional who understands the nature and purpose of public higher education and cultural organizations, and who has demonstrated successful experience in development planning, has a proven ability to interact and influence philanthropic leaders, and is able to set goals strategically and implement them. As the dedicated front-line fundraiser, the MGO will actively engage a portfolio of major donors, prospects, leadership volunteers, and significant community leaders to increase the major gift pipeline for the Arboretum.
Being able to work cross-functionally with various internal and external constituents’, the Officer should have proficiency in database management, Microsoft Office Suite, a passion for the mission of The North Carolina Arboretum and experience motivating and managing high-profile volunteer leadership and senior executives.
This position is eligible for a hybrid work arrangement consistent with System Office policy. UNC System employees are generally required to reside in North Carolina, within a 2-hour commuting distance of their assigned duty station. The recruitment salary is between $64,000 and $72,000. Benefits will offered by the State of North Carolina and the University of North Carolina System that include employer-paid health insurance and retirement, paid time off, parental leave and disability insurance.
In collaboration with the Director of Development, the Major Gifts Officer will oversee and manage major gifts ($10,000+) including donor cultivation, solicitation and stewardship, and coordinate major giving efforts with Arboretum leadership, board members, staff and volunteers as appropriate.
● Be a storyteller and advocate for the Arboretum, its mission and programming
● Adopt a donor-centric approach to fundraising that helps donors accomplish their philanthropic goals and ambitions through a relationship with the Arboretum
● Advance the culture of philanthropy at the Arboretum through increased major giving
● Build relationships and oversee a portfolio of 100-150 donors and prospects in an organized and effective method, helping each donor understand their partnership with the organization
● Participate in all steps of the moves management system including: identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation, stewardship and recognition
● Work closely with the Membership Department and maintain an interdisciplinary approach for support by understanding and working with other areas of the Arboretum
● Make direct, face-to-face solicitations and assist the board and other staff with their solicitations to include portfolio development support, strategic counsel, and help with donor communications
● Facilitate other responsibilities as assigned by Arboretum leadership, boards, committees, task forces and the system President
● Keep current on programs and Arboretum initiatives
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert