The Director, Development Operations will be responsible for the
overall leadership and direction of the information and technology
needs for the HSS Foundation. The successful candidate will serve
as a leader and manager, evaluating operations, analyzing data and
information, and recommending solutions to help achieve strategic
objectives and fundraising goals. She/he will oversee the
management of the entire database, including data quality and
software applications for analysis, communication, and reporting to
support development staff and other partners. The Director will
work closely with the Annual Giving, Prospect Research, Individual
Giving, Special Events, Foundation Relations, and Principle Gifts
teams to understand data and technology needs, provide training,
and work to improve data access and functionality.
The Director reports directly to the Assistant Vice President
for Development Operations and will supervise the Database Manager
and two Development Associates, as well as hire additional
professionals as needed to provide the best business solutions for
the HSS Foundation. This position is based in our NYC office
and is hybrid which is currently defined as three days in the
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead and coordinate activities in the areas of database
administration, constituent records, gift processing, reporting and
documentation, and related technology support, ensuring that all
systems and business practices effectively support the HSS
Foundation and its internal and external constituents.
- Analyze current and emerging trends in information and
technology solutions and provide strategic approaches to improve
the current and future development operations activities.
- Evaluate and implement efficiencies and controls for the entry
and maintenance of biographical, gift, and prospect management
- Recommend innovative short- and long-term solutions to the
development operations team that will contribute to increased
efficiency, accuracy, and access to meaningful data.
- Develop advanced solutions to impediments that hinder the
effectiveness of the fundraising operations.
- Provide strategic leadership in the management and security for
The Raiser’s Edge 7/NXT, Omatic/Importomatic, Luminate Online,
DonorDrive, Tableau, and Alteryx.
- Ensure the overall accuracy and integrity by setting and
implementing policies, procedures, and end user documentation under
the direction of a data governance committee.
- Responsible for managing the request and delivery of data to
internal and external partners. Includes mailing lists, prospecting
requests, patient imports, and NCOA data changes. Proactively seeks
ways to provide self-service solutions.
- Oversee the development of a comprehensive training program for
users to maximize success in utilizing Raiser’s Edge and become
proficient in the Foundation’s systems, workflows, and
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree desirable, but not
- A minimum of 5 years managing a fundraising database and
applications preferably in a healthcare or academic medical center
- Preferred experience with the following systems: The Raiser’s
Edge 7/NXT; Luminate Online, Omatic/Importomatic, DonorDrive,
Tableau, and Alteryx.
Competencies and Personal Characteristics
- Experience organizing, training, managing, and motivating teams
to reach department and institutional goals.
- Demonstrated organization and planning skills (strategic,
short- and long-term); strong follow-up and follow-through to
ensure completion of plans, goals, and objectives.
- Strong written and oral communication skills to interact
effectively with different departments and a diverse group of
- Entrepreneurial spirit; enjoys working in a dynamic, fast-paced
- Ability to exercise tact, diplomacy, and excellent judgment