The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) is responsible for managing
the financial operations of the Santa Fe Community Foundation
(SFCF), including the systems for reporting the financial and
program activities and safeguarding the assets of the
Founded in 1981, the Santa Fe Community Foundation inspires
philanthropic generosity, strengthens nonprofits, and fosters
positive change to build a more vibrant, healthy, and resilient
region. We envision a thriving northern New Mexico, where all
people can find opportunity, build connections, and contribute to
the well-being of their communities. Learn more about the
Foundation by visiting SantaFeCF.org/About
Executive Management and Leadership
Work in concert with the Executive Team and the President and CEO
- Formulate, execute, adjust, and evaluate the foundation’s
strategic plan and to further SFCF’s mission and goals, maintain
and improve operational efficiencies and maintain a motivated and
• Help translate the organizational vision and strategy into
integrated operational tactics and to strengthen the human and
technical infrastructure needed to achieve SFCF’s vision.
• Encourage the setting of clear priorities to enable SFCF to be a
greater resource to Santa Fe.
Interdepartmental Collaboration and Team
Foster and promote interdepartmental collaboration that capitalizes
on diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and
skills to accomplish foundation goals.
- Lead Finance team efforts to engage other departments in
collaborative opportunities to advance goals and initiatives.
- Work internally to maximize inter-departmental communication,
effectiveness, and coordination.
- Foster and encourage excellent employee morale and open
communications with/between all foundation staff.
Planning and Strategy
Develop plans and objectives for Finance Departments support of
SFCF’s strategic and operating plan goals.
Manage the Finance function to ensure smooth operations. Directly
supervise the Controller and indirectly the Finance Manager and
- Build, develop, and manage a team capable of executing needed
- Create budgets and timelines for projects and manages workflow
internal to the department, prepare and review staff work
assignments, and evaluate individual and department
- Ensure department staff has clearly defined and communicated
goals designed to advance and support SFCF’s strategic
- Actively support professional development of staff, utilizing
SFCF resources and training. Coach the staff in the areas of
problem solving, understanding SFCF’s financial priorities and
developing strategies and goals for the Finance department.
Board and Committee Relations
Provide staff support to the Finance, Investment, Impact Investing,
and Audit Committees of the Board of
- Prepare agendas, reporting and other advance materials, and
notifications of meetings.
- Execute transactions as directed by the Committees and the
In collaboration with the President and CEO and the Executive Team,
prepare and administer the annual budget for the operations and
grantmaking activities of SFCF.
- Present the operating budget to the Finance Committee and the
Board for approval.
Maintain accurate and complete financial records for the
foundation, in accordance with generally accepted accounting
principles, and ensure financial activity is both accurate and
- Prepare and distribute a quarterly financial reporting package,
including financial statements and variance analyses/explanations,
investment, and other reports, as appropriate, to the three
Committees and the Board.
- Manage the preparation of periodic fund statements for donors
and nonprofits and materials for the annual report and other
Investment and Treasury
Working with the Investment Committee, manage the relationship with
the Outside Chief Investment Officer
(OCIO) and the other outside managed fund (OMF) investment
- Prepare investment and asset analysis reports and monitors the
performance of investment advisors.
- Review investment performance and investment information to
ensure accurate and equitable allocations and accounting to funds
for investment income and expenses to funds.
- Review the calculation and recording of the spendable amounts
and fund management fees for each quarter.
- Manage the short-term cash flow of operations and long-term
investment of assets.
Working with the operating committee overseeing Impact Investing,
assists in evaluating potential impact investments, tracks cash
flows of investments and prepares reports for the Committee.
Audit and Form 990
Plan for, coordinate, and manage the annual audit and the
preparation of the Form 990 by an outside independent
auditor, providing financial statements, footnotes and audit and
- If applicable, reviews evaluation recommendations by auditors
with the President and CEO and the Audit Committee and implements,
Maintain the current accounting system, Financial Edge (FE), and
the interfaces with the donor / contributions system, Raiser’s Edge
(RE), and the grants system, Granted Edge (GE).
- Maintain a working knowledge of Excel, Word, Outlook,
PowerPoint, Box, and other programs, as necessary.
- Remain current on technology that will improve the working
conditions and efficiency of the staff
Human Resources and Personnel
Work with the Vice President of People and Culture and the
President and CEO to budget, monitor, and report
on annual salaries, benefits, and other employee related
- Oversee the processing of and accounting for payroll.
- When needed, work with the above two positions on retirement
and other benefit plans and other employee related matters.
Works with the CEO and Vice President of People and Culture to
oversee building operations and investment in the building asset,
including required insurance coverages, repairs and maintenance
expenses, other building related expenses and additional long-term
investments in the building.
Legal and Compliance for Legal Entities of
Maintains tax exempt status of SFCF.
- Monitor activities of all legal entities and all applicable
local, state, and federal laws and ensures timely compliance of
required reporting and filings.
Policies, Procedures, Internal Controls and
Develop and maintain appropriate policies, procedures, and internal
controls related to all the above.
- Within policies and procedures, negotiates and monitors
contacts, as needed.
Provides research and analysis on other projects, as requested by
the President and CEO and other members of the Leadership Team.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential job function assigned satisfactorily. The
requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill,
and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to
enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
functions of this position.
Minimum of I0 years related experience, preferably in a nonprofit
or foundation accounting environment, including endowment
management. General knowledge of tax laws regarding donations,
non-profits, and businesses.
Master’s degree in accounting, business or finance or a similar
- Certification as a Public Accountant required.
- Maintain certification and participates in relevant
Ability to make
well-reasoned decisions as part of a team and in the best interests
of the organization for the present and future.
- An ability to work collaboratively and effectively with
individuals of diverse backgrounds.
- Good meeting management skills.
Supervision and Management Skills
Demonstrated skills in management, planning, staff supervision and
- Successful managerial experience in leading a team and
mentoring / coaching staff.
Superior interpersonal, verbal, and written communication
Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize work effectively and adjust to multiple
- Experience in creating realistic project budgets and
Internet competency and strong computer proficiency, including the
understanding of the Microsoft Office software suite and a
familiarity with database software.
- Working knowledge of Blackbaud software preferred, with a
willingness and ability to learn appropriate database,
spreadsheets, financial accounting systems and other computer
Project Management Skills
Strong organizational skills and attention to detail. Ability to
prioritize work and adjust to multiple demands.
Teamwork & General Skills
Ability to work well independently and as team member. Ability to
take initiative and follow tasks through to completion.
- Ability to lead a team toward SFCF’s goals, leveraging each
team member’s skill set.
How to Apply
We are looking for top talent: people who want to use their
abilities to make a lasting difference. If that is you, then please
send a cover letter explaining your interest in the Chief Financial
Officer (CFO) position and what you would bring to the Santa Fe
Community Foundation. Send cover letter and resume in Word or PDF
email to firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls please.