Senior Associate Attorney, Exempt Organizations Legal Practice
- Conley Law Group LLC
- Pennsylvania, United States
- Salary Commensurate with experience
- Closing date
- Apr 4, 2023
- Position Type
- Legal Services
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Conley Law Group LLC, a law firm dedicated to serving nonprofit organizations and philanthropic individuals (Conley Law Group | Legal Counsel for Nonprofits), has an exciting opportunity for a lawyer with at least six years of transactional experience. Conley Law Group provides sophisticated legal advice and services to a wide array of nonprofit organizations including public charities, private foundations, trade associations, and other philanthropic organizations and individuals. We counsel clients based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, around the U.S., and internationally.
Our collaborative team hopes to add a detail-oriented document drafter and project organizer to assist our clients in advancing charitable causes. For the right candidate, we would be open to a part-time arrangement or one based outside the Philadelphia region. For a candidate with significantly more than 6 years of direct legal experience, we would consider an alternative title for the position, such as Counsel. Though nonprofit and large firm transactional experience is preferable, we will consider attorneys with other experience practicing law that can be translated to support our clients. This position offers the freedom to build a long-term practice, but does not require an existing book of business upon hiring, as we are primarily seeking a lawyer to help with current deal workflow with existing clients.
The ideal candidate possesses the following qualifications and skills:
- A demonstrated commitment to, and desire to work with, nonprofit organizations and philanthropic individuals
- At least 6 years of legal experience working with sophisticated corporate or financing structures, with a focus on drafting complex legal documents
- A knowledge base in at least one of the following areas
(familiarity with application to exempt organizations/nonprofits,
and in complex structures, is strongly preferred):
- nonprofit and tax-exempt organizations
- corporate transactional law, including deal structure and negotiations
- federal taxation
- corporate finance, including hedge fund creation or management or venture capital investing
- fundraising or fund management
- trusts and estates (Orphans’ Court and charitable gift planning)
- complex corporate contracts, licensing agreements, or financing
- closely held businesses, partnerships, or partnership taxation
- Licensed to practice law in PA (or eligible to waive in); admission together with experience in jurisdictions such as DC, DE, FL, GA, MD, NJ, or NY is particularly appreciated
- The firm is fully remote, but, for reasons related to our professional insurance, all lawyers are expected to be admitted to practice law in the jurisdiction where they are physically sitting
- Excellent communications skills both orally and in writing, including an ability to explain difficult legal concepts to non-lawyers and to negotiate complex deal terms
- Some management experience and willingness to supervise and mentor junior attorneys or paralegals
- Strong legal and business judgment
- Excellent research and analytical skills
- Comfort with working independently and likely remotely while taking the lead on client matters
- Personal characteristics - positive, collaborative, pragmatic, and professional
Other factors for consideration include:
- Relevant professional experience in the nonprofit sector
- Masters of Law in Taxation
- Nonprofit board experience
- Pro bono and other volunteer experience
- Writing and publication history
- Participation in Bar Associations, especially in the tax-exempt community
- Public speaking experience
Although not required, we are especially open to an additional knowledge base in the following areas, which may not be related to exempt organizations:
- Marketable securities
- Alternative investments, including private equity, hedge funds, or real assets
- Venture capital
- Restricted fund management
The firm sets reasonable and manageable billable hour requirements and values each team member’s work-life balance. Our compensation package is very competitive, including opportunities to be rewarded for hard work and business development. We offer an annual cash bonus structure and other alternative benefits that are tailored to each team member’s individual situation and preferences. The firm offers a 401(k) plan with a 3% employer contribution, with eligibility after one year of employment.
To apply for this position, please send your resume to Caity Kennedy, Director of Operations, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that candidates must apply directly and that resumes from recruiters will not be accepted.
We would welcome a cover letter, as well as the following, if available:
- summary descriptions of large transactions handled,
- at least one writing sample (which may include an anonymized transaction document of which you were the primary author or a layman’s marketing summary of legal issues), and
- names of two to three references.
The firm has been working remotely since March 2020, so all interviews offered will be conducted virtually. The firm does not currently have plans for in-person return, although the firm does have in-person retreats and events several times a year in the Philadelphia region.
Please visit Conley Law Group | Legal Counsel for Nonprofits for more information about our firm.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert