We are seeking a Federal Policy Counsel to join our
Washington, DC team!
WHAT You’ll Do:
STRATEGY DEVELOPMENT AND POLICY
• Develop expertise on issues that are priorities for CRL and
participate in issue work groups to develop and execute strategies
to achieve CRL’s policy goals. Work may include serving as issue
• Monitor legislative and policy developments; play a proactive
role in identifying and assisting in developing strategy to advance
legislative and regulatory agendas.
• Study proposed legislation and regulations to determine the
possible effect on
consumers, particularly people of color and low-income
• Make recommendations for draft legislation or regulatory
proposals; engage in legal research and assist in developing policy
• Write or review regulatory comment letters, testimony, speeches,
articles, and policy briefs. Contribute content or editing support
on research papers and editing support of peer’s policy
• Review and advise on coalition sign on letters.
• Work with teams to advance CRL’s legislative and regulatory
agendas at the state and federal level.
RELATIONSHIP BUILDING AND ADVOCACY
• Build and maintain key/critical relationships with senior level
staff at other organizations, trade groups and companies with an
interest in lending policy; in concert with other teams and issue
groups, take a leadership role in gaining ally support of CRL
positions and defend or defeat legislative and regulatory
proposals. Viewed by internal and external partners as a subject
matter expert on assigned issues.
• Perform outreach to senior level legislative staff and
legislators, regulators, enforcement officials, and allies to
advocate for CRL’s policy positions or other action.
• Represent CRL at meetings and conferences.
• Represent CRL in the media to advance our policy agenda, identify
media opportunities, draft informational materials, and participate
in news conferences to state CRL’s views.
• Talk with lenders to deepen understanding of financial practices
and advocate for improved practices.
PREPARE AND PRESENT TESTIMONY/OTHER
• Testify at public hearings to enlist support for CRL’s
• Provide mentorship and/or supervision to junior level staff or
• Perform other duties as may be deemed necessary.
WHAT You’ll Need:
• J.D. and admitted to bar.
• At least 1-2 years of experience or demonstrated track record
that shows the ability to work independently and in leadership role
on one or more policy issues.
• Experience in civil rights, housing/mortgage lending, predatory
lending, consumer law, or banking law, desired, but not
• Experience and skill at building relationships with external
partners and cultivating collaboration, desired, but not
• Familiarity with federal and state laws and regulations related
to the Administrative Procedures Act, civil rights,
housing/mortgage lending, predatory lending, consumer law, or
banking law a plus.
• Ability to provide practical advice in a timely manner, able to
discern and analyze the impact of multiple issues on a given
situation, ability to work in several areas of the law and balance
multiple priorities, and ability to provide sound business and
• Strong writing, editing and oral communication skills. Able to
execute communications assignments with limited oversight and
provide feedback to peers.
• Demonstrated commitment to public interest law, low-income
families, communities of color, and experience in racial justice
analysis and understanding of how federal/state/local policies
contributed to and sustained racial wealth disparities.
• Passion for CRL’s mission; interest and commitment to social
• Preference for working in organizations that place priority on
teamwork and collaboration.
• Sensitivity to issues of low-wealth borrowers and communities and
families and communities of color and a desire to work in a
racially and socially diverse organization.
• Ability to work well as part of a team and with a diverse group
of people and settings.
• Self-starter, able to initiate and juggle multiple projects and
• Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint.
• Ability to travel as needed.
If you are interested in who we are and what we do; have a
strong desire to work in an organization that places a high
priority on teamwork and collaboration; and are interested in
working to help create economic opportunity for all – THIS is the
place for you! Click the link below to apply!
Visit our Careers Page to apply for
this position. This position will remain posted until filled.