Manager, Development - Foundation for Physical Therapy Research
- American Physical Therapy Association
- Virginia, United States
- Competitive Salary
- Closing date
- Apr 8, 2023
- Position Type
- Fundraising, Major Gifts
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Title: Manager, Development - Foundation for Physical Therapy Research
Unit/Department: Business Affairs/Foundation for Physical Therapy Research
FLSA Status: Full-time, Exempt
Location: This position is located on-site at the APTA headquarters in Alexandria, VA
About The Foundation
The Foundation for Physical Therapy Research (Foundation) is the only national nonprofit solely dedicated to funding physical therapy research and promising researchers through grants, scholarships, and fellowships. We fund research and develop researchers to optimize movement and health. The Foundation is an affiliate of the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA). Foundation staff are employed by APTA and receive the same employee benefits and adhere to APTA policies and procedures.
The ideal candidate is a seasoned development professional who thrives at frontline fundraising and is comfortable with a fast-paced work environment; is self-motivated and highly organized with attention to detail and accuracy.
The Manager, Development is a results-oriented individual that will lead a small fundraising team to increase the donor base while maintaining a focused portfolio of major donors and prospects. The Manager will spend time meeting, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding donors and prospects. This is a leadership opportunity that reports to and collaborates with the CEO to develop and implement strategies for growth and improved efficiency. The Manager is the lead fundraising strategist and project manager, who will work with the team, to design, manage, and execute fundraising plans. This position works closely with the Manager Communications and Scientific program staff to achieve goals and expand our impact. The Manager is a skilled supervisor who works collaboratively with direct reports and brings experience in leading, coaching, and mentoring development teams.
- Identifies, builds relationships, and makes major and planned giving asks; skilled at soliciting and closing gifts. Will cultivate relationships with the board and high impact volunteer leaders in these efforts.
- Manages a portfolio of major individual donors ($5k- $100k) and select corporate relationships ($5k-$50k). Creates and implements annual fundraising plans and priorities to achieve organizational goals.
- Oversees all fundraising efforts, collaborates with the team, tracks projects to ensure timelines and outputs for projects to meet goals.
- Works with external vendor(s) and internal communications staff to plan and conduct outreach for planned gifts and stewardship of major gifts donors through direct mail, newsletters, interviews, stories, advertisements, and the website.
- Manages outside vendor services connected with planned giving.
- Responsible for implementing and evaluating individual and team metrics on an ongoing basis to ensure that goals are being met and professional growth is fostered.
- Creates progress reports / dashboards and communicates accomplishments to the CEO and Trustees.
- Collaborates with APTA staff to promote effective, responsive, and relevant fundraising opportunities for members and external audiences.
- Oversees development of fundraising annual budgets; makes recommendations to gain efficiencies, grow revenue, and provides stewardship of FPTR resources.
- Contributes to quality assurance and continuous quality/performance improvement in Foundation’s activities, including supporting unit leader in annual assessments of respective budget activities described above.
- Is a member of the Association’s Business Affairs team and strives for shared success to support research to advance the physical therapy profession.
- Works effectively with and manages relevant Foundation volunteer committees.
- Provides strategic insight, counsel, data, and intelligence to unit leader and executive leadership as appropriate on best practices related to the work of Foundation for Physical Therapy Research through briefings, updates, reports, and presentations.
- Upholds and fosters team values
- Complies with all APTA policies and procedures
- Performs other duties as assigned to foster achievement of FPTR and association priorities
- Bachelor’s Degree, Required.
- Minimum if 6 years’ experience in fundraising; CFRE or comparable certification a plus.
- Knowledge of planned giving techniques and the tax implications of charitable giving.
- Experience in relationship / moves management with knowledge of volunteer management, donor cultivation and stewardship as well as experience closing major gifts.
- Must have a strong work ethic with excellent interpersonal, analytical, and organizational skills.
- Strong project management skills with the ability to prioritize and execute responsibilities with competing deadlines.
- Healthcare or research funding experience preferred.
- Proven experience in building effective, collaborative teams to achieve revenue goals.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Serves as a role model for strategic use of donor database and screening / prospecting tools.
- Raiser’s Edge or other nonprofit database experience required.
- Major or capital campaign experience a plus.
Up to 10% - Local and National
How To Apply
Please send resume and cover letter, including salary requirements, when applying.
Principals only; no agencies; no phone calls, please. Candidates selected to participate in an interview will be contacted by Human Resources.
The American Physical Therapy Association is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
APTA participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. For more information, please visit e-verify.uscis.gov.
APTA is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce and invites and welcomes applicants with diversity of experience, mindset, and skills to add value to APTA and our staff community.
Do you want to contribute to an organization dedicated to improving societal health? Would you like to collaborate with colleagues who are passionate about making a difference? Are you excited to work in a new state-of-the-art building designed to encourage movement, participation, and employee health?
Then you want to work for APTA!
APTA is the trusted leader for the physical therapy profession, representing more than 100,000 physical therapists, physical therapist assistants, and physical therapy students. Our approximately 150 employees support the association’s mission to build a community that advances the profession of physical therapy to improve the health of society. Learn more in our Association Profile.
Located in Alexandria, Virginia, APTA has outstanding employee benefits, including flexible work schedules, generous retirement contributions, and travel subsidies for employees who choose public and active transportation.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert