Director, Grants & Partnerships
- USA Lacrosse
- Maryland, United States
- Salary Commensurate with experience
- Closing date
- Apr 8, 2023
- Position Type
- Programs, Community Outreach, Grant Administration, Grant Making, Program Administration and Management
- Community Development, Community Foundations, Philanthropic Advisors
- Employment Type
- Full Time
WHO IS USA LACROSSE
USA Lacrosse, a non-profit organization, is the governing body of men’s and women’s lacrosse in the United States, leading the U.S. National Teams Program and establishing universal standards. With nearly 400,000 members, we provide national leadership, structure, and resources to fuel and unify the sport's growth and enrich the experience of its players, coaches, officials, parents, and program leaders.
USA Lacrosse believes a diverse staff best positions our organization to fulfill its mission. We strive to attract and maintain a team of talented and dedicated professionals who reflect the diverse nature of our membership and the national lacrosse community. We are committed to a staff culture that ensures everyone feels welcomed, valued, and included.
Core Values & Competencies
- We Influence - Written and Verbal Communication
- We Serve - Customer Focused
- We Create & Innovate - Creativity
- We Collaborate - Peer Relationships
- We are Humble & Honest - Integrity and Trust
- We Embrace Individuality - Diversity
- We Have Fun – Work Hard and Play Hard
If this aligns with who you are and what you are looking for in an organization, keep reading.
The Director of Grants & Program provides vision and leadership for the grant process for USA Lacrosse (USAL) by developing, planning, overseeing, and assisting to lead the strategic vision for the grant and program process. In this role, you get to partner with our Foundation and Sport Growth & Development teams to determine what programs should be offered to ensure USA Lacrosse is able to provide a comprehensive and inclusive set of offerings to increase accessibility for programs in under resourced communities throughout the country.
The Director of Grants & Programs conducts research, establish best practices, complete grant proposals/grant writing, provide administrative management, and ensure compliance of the grant process. This individual must fully understand the needs so they can develop programs and grants to align with USA Lacrosse's mission and vision with diversity, equity, inclusion, and opportunity at its core.
If you are passionate about developing programs and opportunities to reach under resourced communities and want to provide them access to sport as an outlet this is a great opportunity for you! You will get to work with a team of passionate and talented individuals for a mission-based organization where we help fuel the growth and development of lacrosse for athletes, coaches, officials, and fans!
A Typical Day Looks Like…
- Leads the program and grant process, including leading the strategic vision and direction of programs offered as well as determination of grants awarded. This includes partnering with the Sport Growth and Regional Development teams to shape the vision of programs offered by developing a compelling organizational message to align with USAL’s direction to ensure compliance, fairness, and equity with diversity and inclusion at its core.
- Serves as the liaison between the Foundation and Sport Growth departments to lead cross-departmental vision and initiatives to execute and programs and grants. This includes leading others through the design and implementation process, establishing best practices, and identifying resources needed.
- Continually evaluates programs and the grant process to make recommendations to improve and evolve existing initiatives and strategies to provide immediate and long-term evolution to support sport growth and navigate challenges preventing entry to play and accessibility of the sport throughout the country to support growth.
- Serves as an advisor, advocate, and thought leader on programs to provide access to under resourced communities and programs. This includes providing strategic vision and direction to internal department leaders on the development of programs and awarding of grants to support the growth and accessibility of lacrosse.
- Participates in events to represent the program and grant team to continually be an advocate of USAL’s initiatives and champion for increasing accessibility to lacrosse throughout the country to ensure everyone is represented.
- Develops and monitors the departmental plan for grant acquisition and ensures compliance of the grant process. This includes researching and aligning with best practices on how people ask for grant money, establishing guidelines, and creating standard operating procedures (SOPs) as necessary.
- Reviews all grant documentation prior to final submission to ensure compliance and alignment with USAL's strategic vision. This includes providing continuous communication with internal stakeholders and grant applicants so all parties are aware of where the process stands, as well as proactively reaching out to grant applicants and/or internal team members (i.e., Regional Development team) if additional information is needed for a grant application.
- Working with the SR Director of Development, develops and manages the budget to support USAL’s program and grant process to support current and future initiatives and priorities.
- Partners with the data analytics team to develop methods and metrics to measure success of the programs offered and grant process to determine if USAL's strategies are effective and we are reaching the intended communities and programs. This includes measuring the impact made.
- Tracks and measures outcomes (i.e., how many grants awarded, player demographic, overall program impact, etc.) of the grant programs and departmental key performance indicators (KPIs). This includes continuous evaluation of the programs and metrics so adjustments can be made for improvement as necessary for success of the programs and grant process.
- Provides regular and annual reports to include strategic insight, outcomes, and data on KPIs so USAL can evaluate the program and grants process to make strategic and directional adjustments where necessary. This includes providing impact reports/statements to support Foundation initiatives.
Is This You…
- Three (3) to five (5) years of experience in the field of grant administration and/or program administration/leadership or related experience. Experience working on a regional and/or national level beneficial.
- Previous work experience in a non-profit, association, or other member-based organization a plus. Proven experience in the grant process, understanding how to manage a program for success in a non-profit environment ideal.
- Demonstrated experience developing programs and working with internal and external stakeholders to gain buy in for program development with a result-oriented mindset. This includes the ability to establish KPIs and data metrics to track and report on program results/success.
- Project management skills, including the ability to lead through change and influence stakeholders toward a common vision/goal while working cross-departmentally.
- Proven knowledge of the grant process, including principles, compliance, and best practices. This includes the ability to solicit and build relationships with potential grant recipients to determine need.
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills with working knowledge of Microsoft 365 products, including Word, Excel, Outlook, Teams, and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of software’s such as SalesForce, or comparable database applications, used to track, monitor, and report on data with the aptitude to learn new software's/programs. Knowledge of WizeHive or similar programs a plus.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task and keep data organized for thorough analysis and reporting.
- Excellent communication skills, including interpersonal, written, and verbal.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team with a “hands on” mentality. This includes the ability to be self-managed to work in a hybrid (in-office/work from home) environment.
- Discretion to handle sensitive and confidential matters and information.
- Ability to present a professional persona and presence to build relationships and establish credibility.
- Willingness to learn about the sport of lacrosse and appreciate the needs for developing funds to fuel its development and growth.
- Ability to align with USA Lacrosse’s Mission, Vision, and Values and Strategic Plan to support our initiatives and organizational goals.
Expected Hours of Work
This position is generally expected to work Monday through Friday from 8:30am to 5:00pm and occasionally requires longer hours or weekend work as related to events and other business needs. This is a hybrid position and works from the headquarters office in Sparks, MD three (3) days a week with the flexibility to work from home two (2) days a week.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-area and overnight travel may be expected.
USA Lacrosse is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or any other status/characteristic protected under federal, state, or local law. USA Lacrosse believes diversity and inclusion among our team is critical to our success as an organization, and we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert