Summary: The Community Engagement
Officer will be responsible for all community engagement and
fundraising activities in support of the sustainability and growth
of WestCare Village South. The Community Engagement Officer will be
the primary point of contact for all local community relations and
Illustrative Duties and Performance
The duties of the Community Engagement Officer position include
the following, as well as performance of other work-related duties
- Work with the Chief Development Officer to effectively
implement a comprehensive plan of campaign to fully fund the South
Florida Center for Women & Children as well as future
fundraising efforts / projects as they are developed.
- Work with the Chief Development Officer to effectively promote
the agency mission, vision, values, and program sustainability for
current and future fundraising projects
- Annually develop and implement (2) quarterly appeals
- Annually develop and implement (1) seasonal special fundraising
- Report weekly to the Chief Development Officer
- Develop and / or review print and media materials used for
fundraising campaigns and appeals (i.e., website, press releases,
appeals, PSAs, etc.). Some items such as press releases will be
coordinated with the national marketing team
- Work with the Chief Development Officer to identify annual
engagement and fundraising goals
- Work with the Chief Development Officer to craft and implement
annual engagement and fundraising strategies / initiatives
- In person direct solicitations of donations and gifts from
prospective and existing donors
- Identify, research, and cultivate influencers, prospective
donors, donations, and gifts
- Develop and implement appropriate communication and stewardship
strategies for donors
- Develop and maintain portfolio of donors and prospective
- Serve as the primary gift processor for all gift types for the
- Maintain and update accurate donation and donor records in
RENXT CRM for the region
- Participate in meetings and attend trainings as needed
- Complete all internal orientation and mandated training
activities, including E-Learning Courses, within required
timeframes, and in accordance with the criteria established for
- Other Duties as Assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
- Demonstrates a proven community relations / fundraising track
- Understands community relations and fundraising concepts /
- Assists in implementation of capital campaign strategy and
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to communicate
with all levels of staff and outside sources.
- Outstanding critical thinking and creative problem-solving
- Demonstrated ability to effectively present information /
direction in one-on-one and group situations to volunteers,
employees, and community partners.
- Exhaustive research ability.
- Ability to adapt to an ever-changing and demanding work
- Demonstrated understanding of poverty, homelessness, substance
abuse and mental health and willingness to address concerns with
action designated to create change
- Knowledge of media communication, and dissemination techniques
- Understanding the implications of new information for both
current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems
such as MS Office, managing files and records and other office
procedures and terminology.
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer
and personal services.
- Understanding and application of federal, state, local and
agency confidentiality rules and professional standards of
- Understanding of professional ethics, consumer rights, and
- Knowledge of WestCare Mission, goals and values
- Familiarity with WestCare services and programs
- Demonstrates ability to work effectively with culturally
diverse staff and consumers
- Demonstrates respect for an individuals cultural and ethnic
values when interacting with them
- Demonstrates a high degree of dependability.
- Maintains a good attendance record.
- Observes working hours
- Shows flexibility and is responsive to requests from
- Works independently with minimal supervision
- Exhibits characteristics of good workmanship, and integrity on
- Work time is always productive
- Demonstrates the ability to establish and maintain effective
working relationships with consumers, co-workers, and external
- Is courteous to consumers, staff, and all others.
- Demonstrates tact at all times.
- Cooperates with others both within and outside WestCare.
- Works well with supervisor; accepts direction and
- Maintains a positive attitude
- Presents a positive personal image and maintains a professional
- Education: Bachelors degree from four-year College in Business
/ Marketing / Communication or related field is preferred.
- Language Skills:
- Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and with all
levels of employees and office visitors.
- Mathematical Skills:
- Ability to apply basic mathematical concepts.
- Ability to comprehend and articulate basic accounting
principles / practices
- Three to Five years experience in community relations,
communication, marketing or development is preferred
- Experience working with non-profit organizations is
- Reasoning Ability:
- Ability to collect data, establish facts, and draw valid
- Understands, communicates (both verbally and in writing), and
collaborates effectively and with precision, given the time
constraints of each task.
- Certificates, Licenses, and Registrations
- A membership in the Association of Fundraising Professionals is
- A knowledge of and adherence to the fundraising code of conduct
and ethics guidelines of the Association of Fundraising
Professionals is required.
- Adherence to the Donor Bill of Rights of the Association of
Fundraising Professionals is required.
- Other Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to utilize Microsoft Office Software Suite (Word,
Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Familiarity with the Blackbaud RENXT CRM platform is
- Ability and willingness to learn new systems, processes, and
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to provide an Affidavit of Good Moral Character
- Clearance in Pre-Employment Drug Testing and Criminal Records
Checks, as required.
- Possesses sufficient means of independent mobility.
- Physical Demands
- Must be able to bend and stoop.
- Must be able to sit 40% of the time
- Frequent use of keyboard and telephone.
- Local / Regional travel as necessary
- Occasional lifting up to 25 pounds
- Mental Demands
- Must be able to handle multiple demands from simultaneous
telephone calls, visitors and staff members
- Must be able to multi-task while maintaining a high degree of
professionalism and attention to detail
In accordance with the organizational chart approved by the
Board of Directors, this position is immediately supervised by the
Senior Vice President and Chief Development Officer.