Major Gifts Officer (Remote), Justice Defenders
- Justice Defenders
- Delaware, United States
- $80,000.00 - $100,000.00
- Closing date
- Mar 31, 2023
- Position Type
- Fundraising, Donor Relations, Fundraising Administration, Grant Seeking, Major Gifts, Prospect Research
- Legal Services, Other Fields
- Employment Type
- Full Time
ABOUT THE ROLE
At Justice Defenders, we believe in putting people with lived experience of incarceration at the center of criminal justice reform. That’s why we are on a mission to help 1 million defenceless people in conflict with the law get a fair hearing by 2030 and to deliver world-class legal practice with, from, and for defenceless communities inside and outside of prison.
As a strategic fundraising professional, you will lead and support the cultivation and stewardship of Justice Defenders’ funding partners in a fashion that meaningfully engages them and cultivates a values-aligned donor community. You understand that outcomes don’t come out of thin air, and that funding is secured through daily and weekly practices. You will work in concert with the fundraising and communications team to deepen and strengthen donor relationships, primarily focused on individuals and family foundations, to finance the organization’s short-term and long-term expansion. You will do so by powerfully communicating program impact, establishing trust with donors via mutuality and relationship building, and cultivating a community of long-term major donors. This role reports directly to the Chief Development & Communications Officer.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Maintain and grow a diverse portfolio of 100-150 major gift prospects and donors (mostly individuals and family foundations) at the $10k+ level
- Set and achieve revenue targets associated with individual giving, high net worth individuals, and family foundations
- Participate in each step of the donor pipeline including prospecting, qualification through research, cultivation, briefing, giving conversations, and stewardship by conducting ongoing touch-points, meeting in person with or reaching out to current and prospective donors.
- Collaborate with the fundraising team to plan and manage external-facing events for the Advocates community of VIP donors, including site visits, funding presentations, intimate dinner gatherings, and virtual community gatherings.
- Leverage research tools and existing Justice Defenders relationships to identify prospects and build the pipeline of values-aligned family foundations and high net worth individuals; develop and implement cultivation plans including crafting pitches and asks
- Partner with the communications team to develop and prepare high quality written materials and presentations; oversee certain donor proposals, grant submissions, and stewardship reporting.
- Ensure that all aspects of donor giving are accurately recorded and reported and that all donor/prospect tracking is consistent with protocols.
- Monitor weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual data to achieve major and planned gift commitment goals; participate in annual revenue projection planning and execution, including setting and achieving revenue targets with special attention to renewals and upgrades from our existing major donor community
- Conduct ongoing stewardship using a high touch engagement model; maintain responsiveness to inbound requests from our portfolio of supporter
WHO YOU ARE
- 3+ years of successful nonprofit fundraising experience in managing a major gifts portfolio ($10k+)
- Care deeply about the intrinsic value of the work of fundraising
- Direct donor and prospect interaction with skills in cultivation, giving conversations, and stewardship
- Trustworthy, authentic, curious, and deeply attentive to the passions and cares of our donors
- Superb relationship management and communication (written and oral) skills, including the ability to inspire and hold accountable diverse internal and external stakeholders
- Proven planning and logistics experience; highly detail oriented with “no dropped balls”
- Committed to maintaining the integrity of confidential communications and/or activities
- Professional, courteous, cooperative, positive and effective with a diversity of individuals and groups
- Strong contributor in team environments. Must be able to work and communicate with individuals at all levels of the organisation, across countries, cultures, and timezones
- Prior experience working in prisons or other marginalized communities highly desirable
- Strong interpersonal skills and alignment with the values of Justice Defenders.
We especially encourage applications from those who have been in prison, were the recipient of free school meals, or are from the first generation of their family to attend university and from those who consider themselves to be part of minority groups.
LOCATION + COMPENSATION
This role is open to remote candidates based in the United States or Europe, with a preference for candidates on the East Coast of the US. Compensation will be commensurate with experience and location.
Reports to: Chief Development and Communications Officer
Hours: 37.5 hours per week. Generous holiday entitlement. Hours are flexible to suit the individual. There may be the occasional need for early/late hours to account for time zone differences within our community.
Application deadline: March 31st, 2023
ABOUT JUSTICE DEFENDERS
Justice Defenders works to ensure equal access to justice for incarcerated people across Africa. We train paralegals and lawyers within defenceless communities and equip them with the legal skills to assert their rights and to provide legal services for themselves and others. Our 32 prison-based legal offices in Uganda, Kenya and The Gambia are run by more than 300 paralegals. By equipping justice defenders to facilitate a just legal process, we help ensure a fair hearing at the point of greatest need. As everyone deserves the right to tell their story.
We are a 350+ person global team working from Africa, Europe, and the US. We are bound by our shared values of humility, bravery, and solidarity.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert