ABOUT THE ROLE
At Justice Defenders, we believe in putting people with lived
experience of incarceration at the center of criminal justice
reform. That’s why we are on a mission to help 1 million
defenceless people in conflict with the law get a fair hearing by
2030 and to deliver world-class legal practice with, from, and for
defenceless communities inside and outside of prison.
As a data, systems, and process manager, you will serve as an
essential member of the fundraising team by bringing our recent
adoption of Salesforce to life, making sure it effectively
captures constituent information, team and donor activity, and
generates accurate financial and analytical reports. You
will be responsible for ensuring the accuracy and integrity of
the database, including data input and output, donor receipting and
acknowledgements, and translating that data to monitor and drive
our fundraising results. You will provide systems-level
support for our backend tools like Mailchimp and Stripe. You will
do so by being highly proficient in database management, passionate
about building reporting that leads to growth and results, and
committed to helping create and build a sustainable fundraising
program. This role reports directly to the Chief Development &
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Oversee the quality, integrity and accuracy of all donor
information and gifts entered into Salesforce database. Responsible
for data entry for all constituent records so that the processing,
tracking, reporting and acknowledgement of all gifts and engagement
activities are performed in accurate and timely fashion. Ensure
that the data derived from these activities is maintained in
accurate and up-to-date status, and can easily be accessed.
- Manage donor data through Salesforce and process gifts,
including processing incoming mail and depositing cheques to the
bank and documenting income through Stripe.
- Assist in processes associated with imports, gift distribution,
entry and acknowledgment.
- Maintain website donation forms in Salesforce and support with
website testing. Provide systems-level support for other
development-related systems and tools like Mailchimp and Stripe.
Ensure efforts are in coordination with the IT team.
- Collaborate with fundraising and finance teams to build
effective reporting and processes around performance analysis,
annual income projections, and revenue tracking.
- Generate customized queries, reports, lists for portfolio
management activities, including lists, exports, revenue, renewal
and pledge reports, performance analysis reports etc.
- Maintain entry standards and procedures; conduct training and
provide resources to support effective, optimized utilization.
Ensure that data entry staff follow proper documentation and
accounting principles and standards. This includes developing
written training materials and data policies.
- Audit database records for accurate coding, maintenance of
constituent records and data integration; responsible for global
changes, creating and mapping required fields.
- Proactively identify and implement database modifications to
support accurate recording and reporting; participate in systems
analysis of donor database and related software.
- Review current systems and lead efforts to improve work flow
and overall support to fundraising efforts. Establish and maintain
a structure within the database to effectively identify specific
segments of data for various analysis and targeted fundraising and
- Respond to staff and constituent questions regarding data
issues with Salesforce or associated programs; provide technical
expertise; assess requests, effectively communicate database
opportunities and limitations. Collaborate with other finance and
IT teams to ensure that Salesforce and other donor-related systems
are operating with other internal operating systems.
WHO YOU ARE
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, database administration,
records management, or a correlated field
- Advanced knowledge of Excel including the use of document
merges and file exports.
- Minimum of three (3) years progressively responsible work
experience in Salesforce.
- Proficiency in managing donor and constituent databases, data
imports and exports, and developing reports.
- Resourceful, solution-oriented, and pay fierce attention to
- Strongly desired: high financial acumen and data performance
- Demonstrated experience working in deadline-driven
environments; ability to organise workload, exercise independent
judgment, and maintain self-motivated and self-directed
- Committed to maintaining the integrity of confidential
communications and/or activities
- Professional, courteous, cooperative, positive and effective
with a diversity of individuals and groups
- Strong contributor in team environments. Must be able to work
and communicate with individuals at all levels of the organisation,
across countries, cultures, and timezones
- Must have a strong customer service orientation.
- Strong interpersonal skills and alignment with the values of
We especially encourage applications from those who have
been in prison, were the recipient of free school meals, or are
from the first generation of their family to attend university and
from those who consider themselves to be part of minority
LOCATION + COMPENSATION
This role is open to remote candidates based in the United
States or Europe, with a preference for candidates on the East
Coast of the US. Compensation will be commensurate with experience
Reports to: Chief Development and Communications
Hours: 37.5 hours per week. Generous holiday entitlement.
Hours are flexible to suit the individual. There may be the
occasional need for early/late hours to account for time zone
differences within our community.
Application deadline: March 31st, 2023
ABOUT JUSTICE DEFENDERS
Justice Defenders works to ensure equal access to justice for
incarcerated people across Africa. We train paralegals and lawyers
within defenceless communities and equip them with the legal skills
to assert their rights and to provide legal services for themselves
and others. Our 32 prison-based legal offices in Uganda,
Kenya and The Gambia are run by more than 300 paralegals. By
equipping justice defenders to facilitate a just legal process, we
help ensure a fair hearing at the point of greatest need. As
everyone deserves the right to tell their story.
We are a 350+ person global team working from Africa, Europe, and
the US. We are bound by our shared values of humility, bravery, and