Salary Range: $85,000.00 to 100,000.00
We are looking for a strategic thinker with superb writing and
communication skills to support our foundation revenue strategy.
IYou’ll work closely with the Vice President of Development to
maintain existing and develop new funding relationships with
foundations. You will be part of a dynamic and experienced
development team focused on supporting the growth
of Mother Jones’ 47-year-old independent newsroom.
Driving our success is a business model grounded in reader support:
approximately 60 percent of our revenue comes from our readers and
as a member of the development team, you’ll be working directly
with our community of support to ensure our newsroom stays
competitive and sustainable.
We are a distributed team that includes primary offices in San
Francisco, New York, and Washington DC. We are open to remote work
in the continental US, but travel to meet funders and colleagues
will be required from time to time.
- Support the maintenance of strong relationships with existing
foundation funders that lead to renewed funding and increased
- Work with the VP of Development and Donor Researcher to develop
and execute strategies for the prospecting of new or stalled
- Create compelling communication materials for other members of
the Development team, including email outreach and updates and
other materials to secure meetings with foundation staff and major
- Maintain an organization-wide grants calendar to ensure that
all grant submission and reporting deadlines are met.
- Draft and submit all grant proposals.
- Work across departments to track program objectives and
outcomes to ensure that grant deliverables are met.
- Maintain working knowledge about Mother Jones’
reporting and special projects, using that information to identify
and develop funding opportunities and strategies that may appeal to
- Ensure that all information related to foundation
communication, meetings, and fundraising goals is fully documented
in the Salesforce.
- Meet and, ideally, exceed annual revenue goals.
- Work to support the diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
goals of Mother Jones.
- Other duties as assigned.
- REQUIRED SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
- BA/BS or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum 3 to 5 years of relevant foundation fundraising
experience and project management experience.
- A track record of identifying, cultivating, soliciting, closing
and maintaining foundation relationships.