Director of Contracts & Grants
- Capital Area Food Bank
- District of Columbia, United States
- Competitive Salary
- Closing date
- Apr 12, 2023
- Position Type
- Fundraising, Fundraising Administration, Grant Seeking, Other Fundraising, Programs, Grant Administration
- Advocacy, Community Development, Other Fields, Social Services
- Employment Type
- Full Time
In response to the increased need due to the COVID crisis, the CAFB is working with federal, state and local governments and private funders to provide funding for the purchase and distribution of healthy food to communities throughout the Washington Metro Area. In the coming years, we anticipate a significant increase in multiyear government and private support. The Director, Contracts & Grants will provide organization wide leadership in the strategic development and management of the food bank’s increased work in sourcing and reporting against government and private contracts and grants. This position is part of the food bank’s senior management team and will help deliver against broader strategic priorities of the organization, and will be directly responsible for the management of all aspects of contracts and grants including supporting the development of proposals, coordinating the review process by leadership, facilitating internal and external communication related to timelines and expectations, ensuring that funds are spent within established timeframes, reporting on outcomes and meeting compliance oversight requirements. The Director, Contracts & Grants will be the liaison between the CAFB and funding agencies as well as multiple internal teams including but not limited to: Operations, Finance, Programs, Development, Advocacy, IT, Regional program teams and the food assistance organizations in the community serviced by these contracts. The position will supervise one FTE.
Development of Grants and Contracts Strategy and Processes – 15%
- Develop, implement, and refine processes and procedures for contract and grant administration in compliance with strategic objectives of regional teams, Finance, Development and funders
- Ensure systems, processes and reports in place to facilitate timely execution of the contract/grant and strong coordinating among Grants and Contracts team, Finance team and Development teams.
External Outreach – 20%
- Strategic outreach to identify new sources of government grants, with a focus on food security, food access, health equity and DEI.
- Support the development team with the drafting, reviewing and editing of proposals with corresponding budgets for contracts, MOUs, and grants for programmatic and partner work
- Serve as primary contact for external donors/government agencies on all things grants and contract related.
Management and Reporting of Grants/Contracts – 40%
- Facilitate effective implementation of contract and grant responsibilities within program objectives and requirements
- Track spending and activities against grant/contract to ensure requirements are met within designated timeframe
- Prepare and distribute contract summaries/briefs to internal and external stakeholders on a timely basis
- Draft all internal and external reporting required by governmental contracts and grants
- Monitor and execute grant or contract close out, extension, or renewal as necessary
Management of team – 15%
- Set goals and priorities for your department that align with the organization’s budget and strategic plan, then clearly and consistently communicate goals and expectations to your direct reports
- Support your direct reports in effectively managing their workloads by planning and prioritizing work activities, and work with them to develop the structures and tools they need to achieve their goals
- Model the behavior you wish to see in team members
- Prioritize your time to understand your direct reports’ strengths and growth opportunities to help them achieve their goals, and to ultimately reach their potential—make yourself available and accessible.
- Delegate well. Set clear expectations for outcomes and timelines, and give your direct reports the space to work independently while you are monitoring and communicating regularly
Miscellaneous – 10%
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- 5+ years experience in pre- and post-award contract/grants management role, including 3+ years of supervisory experience
- Strong experience drafting MOU’s and proposals to outline terms and agreements
- Experience with grant funding from private and federal, state and/or, local government sources; large food and health care grant management preferred
- Knowledge of federal contracting process is strongly preferred.
- Ability to be discreet with personal information that may be needed for some grants/contracts such as employee salaries and upcoming projects
- Strong analytical skills to develop and interpret complex reports, and related documentations
- Strong project management skills
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance or related field.
- High-level proficiency in use of standard information technologies including MS Office software, NetSuite or similar ERP system.
- Track record for success working with diverse teams to reach a common goal
Other Skills / Abilities
- Commitment to the CAFB’s mission and team values;
- Highly organized and efficient; with the ability to prioritize and get things done on schedule and work under pressure to meet deadlines;
- Strong understanding of organizational financials and experience in program budget development;
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a team;
- Demonstrated initiative and creativity;
- Strong interpersonal skills, respect for priorities and tolerance of work pressures of colleagues and funders.
Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer. Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at a time.
Normal business office, with frequent tight deadlines. Regular work hours are Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm; with weekends or extended hours for special events.
Competitive compensation and benefits * free onsite parking and complimentary shuttle to metro * professional development, growth, and volunteer opportunities * fun work in a diverse environment
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert