Under the supervision of the Manager, Prospect Research
the Prospect Research
Specialist researches, analyzes, and recommends
strategy on donors and prospective donors with Major Gift capacity
(both in the US and internationally).
The Prospect Research Specialist also partners with Major Gift
Officers on strategy and assists with special projects.
- Conducts reactive research and prepares briefing materials for
Executive & Development Staff for events and meetings, with
emphasis on constituents’ wealth, interests (including
philanthropic interests) and relationships
- Partners with Major Gifts Officers (focusing on strategy
- Manages research needs for Program Staff’s meetings with
- Assesses capacity, interests, philanthropy and relationships to
identify and qualify new prospective donors and assesses new
opportunities with existing donors, through the following avenues:
- Research on prospective donors suggested by staff and
- Research on Membership donors who appear to have major gift
- Sphere of influence mapping
- Searching Foundation Directory Online and
keeping up with the Chronicle of Philanthropy.
- External sources including the Eco-Rich List, key
industry lists, annual reports, etc.
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from
all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and
empowered to address the environmental and organizational
challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- At least 2 years of experience in Prospect Research, including
experience with targeted Google searches, Salesforce, LexisNexis,
NOZA, Foundation Directory Online, RelSci, and other common
- Experience with Blackbaud ResearchPoint and analyzing
Securities & Exchange Commission filings and other financial
data a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to peruse large volumes of information,
find the details relevant to fundraising, present findings and
recommendations clearly, concisely, and accurately a must.
- Candidate must be a self-starter, detail oriented,
well-organized, and able to plan and execute projects from
conception to completion.
- Ability to produce and manage multiple requests at one time is
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Familiarity with an environmental organization a plus.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and
inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders
across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Bachelor’s degree a plus.