- New York, United States
- $72,000.00 - $98,000.00
- Closing date
- Apr 18, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Accounting and Finance
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Acumen is looking for an Accounting Managers with a minimum of 8 years of experience to champion the accounting function within our New York Finance team. This is a good opportunity for someone with accounting expertise, strong financial analysis skills, an interest in an internationally-oriented organization, and enthusiasm for tackling problems of poverty. This work is in our NYC office. We work in a hybrid model, 3 days in the office per week (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday).
Acumen is changing the way the world tackles poverty by investing in companies, leaders and ideas. We invest patient capital in businesses whose products and services are enabling the poor to transform their lives. To date, Acumen has positively impacted 309 million lives by investing $137M in 139 innovative, early-stage companies in Africa, Latin America, South Asia, and the United States. But investment isn’t only about capital, we’ve been investing in innovators for years, connecting with emerging leaders around the world and engaging them in collective dialogue, moral inquiry, and skill building.
About Acumen Finance
Acumen, an international non-profit with seven boutique, entrepreneurial offices across six continents and seven jurisdictions working with philanthropic donations, grants, and investments, requires centralized financial oversight and support. The NY Finance team provides that oversight and support. The Finance team is responsible for all strategic, planning, reporting, and accounting activities for Acumen globally – these include processing payroll and expenses, audit and tax, developing managing reports, presenting insights and analysis from our business and ensuring the right controls and methodologies are in place to optimize efficiency and effectiveness.
About the role
The Accounting Manager plays a lead role in the Finance team's accounting, financial analysis and strategy work. Reporting to the Associate Director of Finance, the position will be responsible for accounting activities, internal controls, and financial reporting across the global organization. The position will also partner with function and country leads to ensure oversight and integration of Acumen’s financial processes and controls across multiple offices around the world. More specifically, the Accounting Manager will be responsible for:
- Oversee the accounting operations of the organization, including A/P, A/R, fixed assets, investment accounting, payroll and the relevant systems used for these functions.
- Prepare and publish timely interim financial statements.
- Oversee timely month-end and year-end close processes.
- Oversee the management of Acumen’s banking relationships to effect smooth and accurate transactions.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional societies.
- Complete ad hoc projects as directed by the Associate Director of Finance or the Chief Financial Officer.
- Develop, implement and maintain strong accounting and related financial policies, processes and control systems ensuring compliance with GAAP, the Internal Revenue Code, FASB, other applicable federal, state and local laws, donor restrictions and best practices.
- Perform periodic internal audits of accounting transactions and procedures to ensure quality control over financial data and alignment with relevant fiscal policies.
- Serve as primary administrator for Acumen’s accounting system and month end close software, coordinating with system vendors on critical issues.
- Identify and oversee implementation of accounting system enhancements as required.
- Research technical accounting issues for compliance and implement changes as needed.
- Manage and comply with local, state, and federal government tax reporting requirements.
- Maintain the Acumen organizational chart and review regularly for changes in reporting requirements.
- Direct organization and program audits, including liaising with auditors, coordinating scheduling for field work and meetings, preparation and/or review of audit materials and schedules, and managing deliverable deadlines with internal contributors and auditors.
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Economics
- Certified Public Accountant
- inimum of 8 years experience in accounting, Not-for-Profit accounting experience required
- Strong Excel skills; experience building and maintaining complex financial models
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to interpret accounting and financial concepts to non-finance team members
- Experience with NetSuite, Prophix, and Floqast preferred
- Ability to influence outcomes in a fast-paced environment in which multiple threads and projects have interdependent and overlapping resources
- Strong interest in process improvement and implementation
- Strong interpersonal skills: courtesy, tact, patience and strong team orientation
- Self reflective and aligned with Acumen values
- Permanently authorized to work in the US
Deadline to apply:
Apply as soon as possible as applications will be reviewed and interviews scheduled on a rolling basis.
The salary range for this role is $72,900-$91,000 plus a performance-based bonus. This range represents the present low and high end of pay range for this role. Actual compensation will vary based on various factors including but not limited to experience. Acumen has equal pay, so pay is determined through comparison to a cohort of employees in market at the same level of accountability.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert