Senior Manager, Advancement (Hybrid)
- The Climate Reality Project
- District of Columbia, United States
- $119,822.00 - $119,822.00
- Closing date
- Apr 19, 2023
- Position Type
- Fundraising, Alumni Affairs, Annual Fund, Corporate and Foundation Relations, Direct Marketing, Donor Relations, Fundraising Administration, Grant Seeking, Major Gifts, Membership, Planned Giving, Prospect Research, Other Fundraising, Special Events, Programs, Grant Administration, Grant Making, Program Administration and Management
- Advocacy, Environment
- Employment Type
- Full Time
The Climate Reality Project is a nonprofit organization founded by former US Vice President Al Gore. Our mission is to catalyze a global solution to the climate crisis by making urgent action a necessity across every sector of society.
At The Climate Reality Project, we come to work every day to help solve the climate crisis. We do it by working from the ground up, empowering people and communities worldwide to fight for their future and together drive a just transition to clean energy.
We are committed to building a more just and equitable world, one where all voices are heard and respected regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, or physical ability. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other historically marginalized communities. We encourage applicants to read our diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice statement on our website.POSITION SUMMARY
The Climate Reality Project is seeking an experienced, passionate, and strategic fundraising professional to expand the organization’s fundraising efforts and provide critical support to the Advancement Department.
The Senior Manager, Advancement will be responsible for both personnel management and direct major donor fundraising. They will manage personnel responsible for mid-level giving, prospect research, and operations, supporting the success of key department verticals that lead to a successful major gift program. They will also develop and manage a portfolio of current and prospective major donors and family foundations, focusing on increasing revenue from 5-6 figure funding partners.
Currently reporting to the Vice President, Advancement, the Senior Manager, Advancement has three direct reports.
This is a hybrid position, currently expected to work from Climate Reality’s downtown DC office at least two days per week. The salary for the role is $119,822/year.DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Specific duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
Management – 55%
- Manage personnel responsible for mid-level giving, prospect research, and operations, ensuring that each vertical is executing on their functions and employing effective fundraising strategies.
- Manage Prospect Research & Development Manager, overseeing the department’s prospect research strategy, culminating in a steady flow of prospects to major, institutional, and principal gift portfolios, as well as effective portfolio management and prospect analytics.
- Manage Charitable Giving Manager, overseeing a new mid-level giving program, ensuring increased revenue from 4-5 figure donors and a strong pipeline of donors into the major gifts program.
- Manage Advancement Operations Associate, ensuring integrity of data entry, compliance of processes, grants management, and administrative duties.
- In collaboration with Vice President, Advancement and People Department, develops and ensures department staff have training and professional development opportunities.
Direct Fundraising – 40%
- Develop and manage a portfolio of current and prospect major donors and family foundations ($10,000 - $50,000), executing strategies for cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Conduct and staff executive team in donor contact meetings and calls.
- Work alongside Vice President, Advancement on execution of institutional foundation giving opportunities.
- Work alongside Vice President, Advancement and fundraising consultant to execute on event fundraising opportunities.
Other – 5%
- Support Vice President, Advancement on other department-wide efforts and campaigns.
- Uphold organization’s commitment to diversity, equity, justice, and inclusion by identifying areas to increase diversity of funding partners and equity in fundraising practices.
- Track fundraising efforts and constituents in Salesforce through moves management.
- Monitors industry best practices, trends and new technologies to increase efficiency and innovation in fundraising strategies and tactics.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Complete knowledge of the gift cycle and understanding how the donor cultivation and stewardship process works
- Thorough knowledge of the organization's work and the ability to pitch this work to donors
- Experience with communication and identification of strategies for cultivation of major donors
- Salesforce or CRM experience required
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail
- Experience with research software and tools required
- Optimistic and positive attitude a must
- Ability to work long hours and weekends, travel semi-frequently and on short notice
- Ability to work in high-visibility and fast-paced environment
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Strong organizational skills and emotional intelligence.
- Commitment to Climate Reality’s mission and values
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer required
- Bachelor's degree—or equivalent experience.
- Has between 5-7 years of experience in fundraising.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience managing and mentoring a team
- Expert-level knowledge in job-specific fundraising approach(es).
The Climate Reality Project has adopted a competency-based approach to job definition, hiring, performance assessment, and professional development. The following are our seven organization-wide competencies and examples of how they manifest for this role.
- Teamwork and Collaboration: Actively listens to others and seeks to understand diverse perspectives; proactively and effectively manages larger teams; demonstrates the ability to effectively supervise.
- Flexibility and Adaptability: Demonstrates the ability to adapt to changing priorities and circumstances; takes initiative to solve problems, improve processes, and/or achieve outcomes; learns quickly when faced with new situations or systems.
- Written and Verbal Communication: Written communication is clear and concise; verbal communication is intentional and straightforward; clearly communicates a shared vision and priorities for the department; clearly conveys objectives, deadlines, and expectations to supervisees.
- Time and Project Management: Manages multiple competing priorities, tasks, and projects effectively; holds staff and self accountable for achieving objectives; effectively manages conflict among the team, seeing conflicts as opportunities, integrating diverse views and finding common ground, and settling differences in productive ways.
- Professional Development: Actively learns through experimentation when tackling new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder; supports supervisees’ professional development by providing opportunities to put skills into practice; connects supervisees to other advocates, experts, mentors, and resources and to substantive training opportunities.
- Climate Justice: Knows and understands how systems and structures perpetuate inequities internally and externally; fully supports the organization's efforts to change said systems and structures; works to promote a welcoming and inclusive environment in Climate Reality spaces (workplace, events, trainings, and other convenings).
- Climate Reality Mission and Focus: Is passionate about Climate Reality's role and mission and can act as a Climate Reality ambassador to a diverse set of audiences; stays up-to-date on climate trends, impacts and solutions.
In addition to organization-wide competencies, each role has its own competencies. Below are examples of how each competency manifests in this role.
- Communication Skills: Can work effectively with various constituencies, including the Board of Directors, other department heads, program directors, staff, and donors; is an articulate and persuasive communicator
- Technology and Data Systems: Can use technology relevant to job duties effectively; manages internal electronic document storage effectively, including for the purposes of donor stewardship; uses and prioritizes the use of CRM software relevant to job duties. Stays up-to-date on current and new technology and data systems in philanthropy and fundraising.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates proficiency in working with numerous internal stakeholders, builds relationships, and ensures best practices that support data collection and tracking of necessary information; thrives on meeting new people and getting them excited about shared passions and interests, naturally thoughtful in engagements.
- Customer Service Orientation: Navigates sensitive information and situations with discretion and effective follow-up; handles difficult partnerships/relationships.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Climate Reality, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your experience does not align perfectly with every qualification in this job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
The Climate Reality Project is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, disability or any other category prohibited by local, state or federal law. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, placement, promotion, transfer, demotion, compensation, benefits, social and recreational activities and termination.HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.comBENEFITS
Excellent benefits, including employer paid 100% employee medical, life, dental, vision. 401K, Paid Parental Leave and other fringe benefits such as wellness days, vacation and sick time are all included.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert