Associate Director Development - Program Divisions
- The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine
- District of Columbia, United States
- Salary Commensurate with experience
- Closing date
- Apr 20, 2023
- Position Type
- Fundraising, Corporate and Foundation Relations, Donor Relations, Major Gifts, Planned Giving, Prospect Research
- Other Fields
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Works with the Director of Development, Climate for assigned National Academy Program Divisions, Academy senior leadership, and Development Office colleagues to plan, implement, and coordinate effective strategies and approaches to identify, cultivate, solicit and close major and leadership gifts from corporations, foundations, and individuals. Strong focus on foundation and corporate fundraising with the ability to secure institutional support of six and seven figures. Collaborates with the director of development to set annual fundraising goals and executes plans. Manages a portfolio of major gift prospects including qualification/discovery, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship, via face-to-face meetings, zooms, phone calls, emails, etc. Travels locally and nationally to visit prospects. Prepares and reviews fundraising letters, proposals, power point presentations, and other materials. Liaises and coordinates with Academy membership, program, and executive offices, and development colleagues to plan and deliver fundraising goals. Actively participates in building a culture of philanthropy across the organization as part of a high performing team. Works collaboratively across a decentralized development office and with senior program colleagues across a multi-tiered institution. High level of customer service and ability to interact with colleagues using diplomacy and discretion is expected.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- In collaboration with Director of Development, Climate, supports the Executive Officer, Chief Development Officer, and Program Division leads in fundraising activities. Develops strategies to qualify, cultivate, solicit, and steward prospects.
- Works with the Director of Development in planning fundraising activities to deliver against goals and objectives as needed including strategic planning, assisting in identifying funding sources and opportunities.
- Actively manages a portfolio of prospective major donors via face-to-face meetings as well as written and telephone contact throughout the donor life cycle. Travels as needed for donor meetings and events.
- Proactively works with program staff on pursuing corporate and foundation sources of support for their programs and activities. Advises program staff on prospect identification and strategic matching of foundations to priority programs.
- Prepares annual plans including key performance indicators and revenue targets following direction from the Director of Development, Climate.
- Conducts in-depth research. Assists program staff with drafting and submitting correspondence, including letters of inquiry, proposals, acknowledgement letters, and reports.
- Pro-actively identifies new prospective donors to be added to the portfolio. Communicates with members, donors, their representatives, and others as necessary to facilitate and nurture prospect relationships and gifts.
- Participates as needed in the general activities of the Development Office including support of other staff and special projects as needed.
- Compiles mailing lists. Updates records in Raiser’s Edge. Prepares reports for reviews and analysis.
- Leads Office of Development quality assurance efforts, ensuring precision and attention to detail in all interactions with donors and with program staff across the Academies.
- Actively participates in building a culture of teamwork, collaboration, creativity and high performance with employees of the Development Office, Academy membership, Program and Executive Office, employees of the Academies, volunteers, donors, and members of the Academies.
- Remains current and fully informed of laws, techniques, and advancements in the fundraising profession.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert