Downeast Lakes Land Trust Seeks Executive
Downeast Lakes Land Trust (DLLT) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit
founded in 2001 by residents of Grand Lake Stream, Maine.
DLLT owns and manages a 57,703-acre Community Forest for wildlife
habitat, public recreation, and a sustainable forest economy. With
an annual operating budget over $1,500,000, DLLT is an exemplary
and innovative land trust, with a trailblazing mission to further
both the economic and environmental well-being of Downeast
Maine. DLLT has raised over $60 million for easements and
land purchases and developed the first California registered carbon
offset project in Maine.
Location: The position is based in Grand Lake
Stream, Maine. This is a small, rural community (winter pop.
100) with a traditional natural resource-based economy focused on
outdoor recreational tourism and the timber products
Executive Director Job Overview
The Executive Director (ED) leads a dynamic community-based
organization headquartered in Grand Lake Stream, Maine with a staff
of five full-time positions including Administration Manager,
Development & Outreach Manager, Natural Resources Manager, and
Education & Volunteer Coordinator. In addition, DLLT
employs one part-time Forestry Technician and two to four seasonal
The ED is a full-time, year-round position reporting to the
Board of Directors. The ED is very much a hands-on position
and the ED should know the property intimately and use this
knowledge to improve the trust’s lands for enjoyment by local and
visiting outdoors people, exemplary wildlife habitat, and
traditional forestry harvesting. Primary responsibilities
- Implementation of board-approved strategic plans.
- Ensuring sound financial management and governmental
- Overseeing day-to-day operations and managing staff.
- Working with an engaged and committed Board of Directors though
- Fundraising for annual operations and capital campaigns.
- Representing DLLT to the community, supporters, donors, grant
makers, agencies, partners and contractors.
- Overseeing Community Forest management and ensuring compliance
with DLLT plans, policies, carbon offset projects, conservation
easements, other legal requirements, and forest management
The ideal candidate will be able to leverage the existing
governance, mission and assets while using enthusiasm, experience
and hard work to take DLLT to its next level. Qualifications
- Commitment to natural resource conservation, forest
stewardship, wildlife habitat, education, outdoor recreation, and
supporting long term economic growth of a natural resource based
rural economy. Enthusiasm for outdoor recreational activities
such as hiking, birding, canoeing, hunting and fishing a plus.
- Strong organizational leadership, program oversight and
personnel management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to build and enhance cooperative
- Excellent communication skills across all mediums and comfort
with public speaking to a wide range of audiences.
- Fundraising ability in the full range of sources available to
conservation organizations, including grant writing and
- Demonstrated commitment to sound financial management.
- Ability to develop and administer contracts and bidding
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in a natural resource or
environmental science field preferred.
DLLT offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience
and qualifications as well as benefits including health insurance,
HSA, retirement, generous paid leave, flexible hours, and remote
work options. Please state salary requirements in your application
Send resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3
references in a single document by email to email@example.com,
ATTN: Executive Director. For more information on the
Downeast Lakes Land Trust, see www.downeastlakes.org. DLLT is
an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will
receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual
orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran
status, or any other basis protected by law. Applications will
be reviewed beginning Friday, March 31, 2023. Applications
will be accepted until the position is filled.