Business Development Lead
- Mayors Migration Council (MMC)
- New York, United States
- Competitive Salary
- Closing date
- Apr 21, 2023
- Position Type
- Fundraising, Donor Relations, Fundraising Administration, Grant Seeking
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Business Development Lead
Location: New York City, NY
Reporting to: Executive Director
Annual salary: Starting at $120,000 with
Contract type: Permanent
Candidate level: Management
The Mayors Migration Council (MMC), a sponsored project of Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors, is a mayor-led coalition that accelerates ambitious global action on migration and displacement to create a world where urban migrants, displaced people, and receiving communities can thrive.
To fulfil our mission, we support mayors and the cities they lead with: city diplomacy to influence policy decisions on migration and displacement at the national and international level; city practice to unlock financial and technical resources to implement local solutions for migrants and displaced people; communications to raise awareness on city leadership among global audiences; knowledge to generate and share evidence on urban migration and displacement; and stakeholder engagement to build a coalition of local and global champions.
We are a nimble team of political advisors and urban practitioners led by a Leadership Board of global city leaders, including the mayors of Amman, Bristol, Dhaka North, Freetown, Kampala, Milan, Montevideo, Montreal, and Zürich. We are managed as a Sponsored Project of Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors (RPA) and operate with the institutional support of the Conrad N. Hilton Foundation, the IKEA Foundation, the Open Society Foundations, the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation, and the Robert Bosch Stiftung, in addition to other project-based donors.
To learn more, please visit our website or follow us on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
Purpose of role
The Business Development Lead will report to the Executive Director and collaborate with senior leaders across the organization to strategize, optimize, and sustain the MMC’s organizational development and sustainability. They will design and execute annual fundraising strategies and multiannual business plans. They will manage the MMC’s operational functions, including legal affairs, finance, and human resources. They will also support the Executive Director’s engagement with the Board and relations with mayors, donors, and partners.
- Develop the MMC’s annual fundraising strategy and execute day-to-day activities, including prospect research, donor cultivation, proposal development, and grant administration.
- Drive the MMC’s five-year business planning process, including assessing new sustainability/business models and operationalizing preparatory steps.
- Streamline systems, develop templates, and improve frameworks to facilitate the MMC’s pursuit of existing and new business opportunities.
- Work with the Executive Director and program leads to set annual organizational goals, track performance, and generate quarterly/annual reporting on KPIs to the Board and partners.
- Collaborate closely with internal teams at the MMC to maximize the value of existing partnerships and identify gaps/opportunities to expand reach and impact.
- Facilitate the Executive Director’s engagement with the Board and relations with mayors, donors, and partners, including meetings/special events, briefing materials, and outreach.
- Oversee the administration of grants/contractual agreements with donors, sub-grantees, consultants, and vendors, including due diligence, compliance, and reporting processes.
- Work with the Executive Director and Finance Manager to develop annual budgets and financial analyses needed to facilitate key strategic and operational decisions.
- Help set up the MMC’s processes and approaches for recruiting, retaining, and developing staff and building the team’s culture.
- Build or optimize the MMC’s standard operating policies, procedures, and systems to ensure efficiency and risk-management across functions.
- 5 to 10 years of relevant business development and administration experience in the non-profit/philanthropic/management consulting sectors.
- Successful fundraising and grant writing experience and passion for building organizational strategies and budgets.
- Excellent at both strategic and operational thinking and planning, and the ability to tie the two together and flexibly switch between both modes.
- Enjoys and is good at “bringing order” and efficiency to organizations and processes.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented, with strong project management and time management skills.
- Strong concise communication skills, both written and verbal. English proficiency required with fluency in French or Spanish strongly preferred.
- Strong collaborating skills, including some experience in leading a team, but with ability to carry-out projects independently without detailed direction and oversight.
- Good listener and able to serve as an effective and highly trusted “broker” among people with varying management and communication styles.
The Mayors Migration Council is a Sponsored Project of Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors. Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors is an equal opportunity employer and celebrates the uniqueness of our staff, our partners, and the communities we serve. We are committed to inclusion with the goal of cultivating a culture of belonging and acceptance. We strive to embed this value in our philanthropic work to advance a more just, equitable and sustainable world.
To apply for the post
Please send a letter of application stating the skills and approach that you would bring to the post with your CV/resume (no photos) and a writing sample in strict confidence by email only to: Ruth Gardner at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please ensure they are sent as PDF documents with the titles “your name cover letter” and “your name CV” Please put “MMC – Business Development Lead” in the email subject line.
The deadline for application is Sunday 16th April 2023
Sign up to Global Charity Jobs to receive our weekly jobs bulletin to not miss a single opportunity!
Daryl Upsall International actively promotes equality, diversity and inclusion. In recruiting candidates, we seek candidates with the proven skills required; irrespective of race, gender, religion or belief, age, disability or sexual orientation.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert