Deputy Director of Leadership Gifts (West Coast)
- California, United States
- $110,000.00 - $135,000.00
- Closing date
- Apr 22, 2023
- Position Type
- Fundraising, Major Gifts
- Other Fields
- Employment Type
- Full Time
ProPublica is hiring a deputy director of leadership gifts to lead its major gifts strategy in the West region.About ProPublica
ProPublica is an independent, nonprofit newsroom that produces investigative journalism with moral force and that was founded with the belief that investigative journalism is critical to our democracy. We dig deep into important issues, shining a light on abuses of power and betrayals of public trust — and we keep digging for as long as it takes to hold power to account. We focus on stories with the potential to spur real-world impact. Among other positive changes, our reporting has contributed to the passage of new laws, reversals of harmful policies and practices, and accountability for leaders at local, state and national levels.The Position
ProPublica seeks an experienced, strategic fundraising professional to join its successful and growing development team as deputy director of leadership gifts. The deputy director is a new position that will play a lead role in cultivating and expanding ProPublica’s major gift donor base in California, a key donor market, while leading a broader strategy and a staff responsible for expanding ProPublica’s network of major donors throughout the Western and Pacific regions. This is an excellent opportunity to lead a regional major gifts strategy to support ProPublica’s growing regional newsroom operations and organizational sustainability. The deputy director will report to the director of leadership gifts.Responsibilities:
- Manage a portfolio of key major donors and directly solicit gifts in support of ProPublica’s organizational priorities.
- Devise strategies to deepen relationships with current supporters and expand ProPublica’s major donor base in the Western region by proactively identifying, qualifying and cultivating prospects with capacity to give five- and six-figure gifts.
- Working closely with the director of leadership gifts, define and execute a regional major gift program; develop ambitious revenue targets that increase year over year with plans to implement and meet these goals.
- Manage and support the performance and professional development of one or more team members; collaboratively set goals and establish methods to track and report progress to management and senior leadership.
- Participate in ongoing portfolio review processes in collaboration with the director of development services and other stakeholders to maintain a moves management system in the Salesforce database.
- Work closely with the individual giving team to continue refining and enhancing the major/leadership gift stewardship program.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- Five or more years’ experience building long-term relationships with donors and soliciting and closing five- and six-figure gifts.
- Strong familiarity with the region; awareness of philanthropic trends and ability to execute distinctive funding and engagement opportunities.
- Management experience strongly preferred; proven ability to lead with integrity, leverage individuals’ strengths and foster a collaborative, positive work culture.
- Demonstrated ability to design and execute a moves management process that expands a donor base and builds a major donor pipeline.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with proven experience conveying complex issues to diverse audiences.
- Experience establishing strong relationships with executive leaders and volunteer boards/committees, and ability to leverage those relationships effectively in the fundraising process.
- Strong problem-solving abilities and attention to detail.
- Ability to work effectively across teams and time zones, and with people from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Willingness to travel to meet with and solicit donors as necessary and in accordance with public health guidelines.
- Experience executing successful capital and/or multiyear fundraising campaigns is a plus.
- Must be proficient in Google Workspace and Microsoft Office suite and familiar with fundraising databases, preferably Salesforce.
- Must be committed to building a respectful, welcoming and inclusive environment.
This job is full time and includes benefits. ProPublica is based in New York, but we have offices across the country and will consider remote applicants. Candidates located in the San Francisco Bay area as well as on the West Coast and in the Pacific Northwest are strongly encouraged to apply. Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S.
The expected salary range for this position is $110,000-$135,000.
This is a good-faith estimate of what we expect to pay for this position. The final salary figure will take into account a person’s experience, accomplishments and location. ProPublica is committed to paying its staff equitably, and these ranges should not be considered career salary limits or caps.
If all of this sounds exciting to you, you can apply using this form.
We know there are great candidates who may not fit into what we’ve described above or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
We are dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. (Here is a breakdown of our staff.) We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. And we are taking steps to meet that commitment. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities. We are an equal opportunity employer and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age or any other status protected under applicable law.
We will begin reviewing applications as we receive them, but we will continue to consider candidates as long as the posting remains live on our site.
Questions? Send an email to email@example.com.
No phone calls, please.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert