Director of Individual Giving
- Population Action International
- District of Columbia, United States
- $125,000.00 - $135,000.00
- Closing date
- Apr 25, 2023
- Position Type
- Fundraising, Annual Fund, Corporate and Foundation Relations, Donor Relations, Fundraising Administration, Grant Seeking, Major Gifts, Planned Giving, Other Fundraising, Special Events, Programs, Community Outreach, Grant Administration, Grant Making, Program Administration and Management, Administrative, Public Relations and Communications
- Community Foundations, International, Philanthropic Advisors, Social Services
- Employment Type
- Full Time
PAI is a nonprofit, civil society organization based in Washington, D.C. Founded over 50 years ago, we work to advance sexual and reproductive health and rights for all people through U.S. and global advocacy, partnerships with multisectoral institutions and the funding of community-based organizations across Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean.
PAI envisions a world where all people can fully realize their sexual and reproductive health and rights to achieve health equity, economic well-being and gender equality. We believe that equitable progress for sexual and reproductive health and rights is central in achieving urgent and sustained gains for the health, equality and prosperity of women, youth and at-risk communities around the world.
PAI advocates on the global stage and works with policymakers in Washington, D.C., to drive supportive and expansive U.S. foreign aid and policy for sexual and reproductive health care. We also provide flexible funding and strategic and technical advocacy support to more than 120 community-based organizations in over 36 countries so local advocates can advance sexual and reproductive health investment and policy priorities in their own countries and communities.
We achieve excellence not by simply representing different identities, but by listening to, understanding and making room for others to thrive. Diversity, equity and inclusion go beyond representation, and we’re committed to creating an inclusive and equitable workplace.
PAI has embarked upon a new era of impact and excellence. We are committed to sharing our strengths, elevating the achievements of peer civil society organizations around the world and using evidence, data and policy insights to hold U.S. and global decision-makers accountable. Despite the threats to sexual and reproductive health and rights in the United States and around the world, we know the power of advocates and are excited to bring on new team members who are inspired by community-led advocacy, accountability and collective action to demand, protect and advance sexual and reproductive health care for all.
To learn more about PAI, read our strategic plan, watch the video about our achievements and future goals and visit pai.org.
PAI seeks a dynamic, fundraising professional who will be responsible for building and enhancing our individual donor portfolio, processes and strategy. The Director of Individual Giving reports to the head of the Development Department and supervises one Development Department staff member. They will have primary responsibility for raising catalytic funds from individuals and family foundations at the small, mid and major gift levela as well as designing and executing a planned giving strategy to achieve planned giving targets. . They will lead the organization's annual giving efforts, setting strategy and executing fundraising plans for sustaining and growing the number of $1K-$100K annual donors, the size of individual donations, and the conversion of annual donors to future major gifts to support PAI’s unrestricted programming. . The Director will also support major giving efforts of the Development Department Head and the President and CEO, as well as members of the Board, when necessary.
The individual giving program has seen steady annual growth in recent years. This team member will be responsible for overseeing its continued maintenance and significantly enhancing and diversifying the portfolio of individual and major gifts through new programs, targeted stewardship and meaningfully curated donor content to achieve PAI’s annual and long-term fundraising targets and revenue goals.
- Develop and implement strategies for solicitation that will grow annual individual revenue, working collaboratively with the Development Department Head and other program areas in the department to advance fundraising goals.
- Actively develop and implement engagement strategies and small group gatherings to inspire donors and prospects to champion and invest in PAI.
- Schedule and hold personal meetings, both on-site and off-site, with donors.
- Oversee donor correspondence, mailings and stewardship materials.
- Building and executing an individual giving marketing and communications strategy in collaboration with the head of the Development Division and PAI’s VP of Communications and External Relations.
- Develop events and coordinate logistics to ensure an exceptional donor experience, with a focus on cultivation and stewardship.
- Assist with donor prospecting, including research, rating and screening sessions
- Assist the Development Department Head to provide support to the Board for fundraising initiatives
- Work with the Senior Manager of Strategic Communications to enhance donor recognition in all communication strategies
- Maintain accurate and complete records of donor communications and interactions
- Monitor revenue and expenses related to Individual Giving on a quarterly basis, and prepare regular reports on all appeal activities
- Contribute to the growth of our planned giving program, implementing new strategies and protocols to attract new bequests
- Bachelor's Degree and 7- 10 years of individual giving and major gifts fundraising experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of Excel and Word; Salesforce database
- Previous experience working in social justice, gender equality, sexual and reproductive health and rights, human rights or related movement-focused organizations. A general understanding of the current sexual and reproductive health and rights landscape is a plus.
- International experience.
- Excellent verbal communication skills and proven writing skills, including experience in writing direct mail appeals and e-appeals
- Outgoing personality and ability to initiate and enjoy direct communication with donors and potential donors; customer-service orientation
- Ability to work well with all levels of internal management and staff, as well as independently
- Experience with budgeting, planning and project administration
- Ability to handle diverse, simultaneous tasks, meet deadlines, and attend to follow-through
- Evenings are sometimes required
- Travel required
- Position is based in Washington, DC at PAI.
Annual salary range $125,000 - $135,000 depending on experience.
PAI offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health, dental and vision care, direct contribution 403(b) retirement plan, flexible spending account, tuition reimbursement and personal professional development funds.
Must be authorized to work in the United States and will be subject to a background check.
PAI believes it is strengthened by the diversity of its staff, and welcomes such diversity, including race, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, educational attainment, disability and veteran status. PAI welcomes all applications from people of all cultures, backgrounds and experiences, and strongly encourages people of color and persons with disabilities to apply. PAI actively cultivates an institutional culture that reflects the values of respect, equity and inclusion that it seeks to amplify in its work.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert