Lead Toxicity Policy
Director of Government Relations, Pesticides and Birds Campaign
Duration of Internship: 3 Months, Approximately April
15-June 15, 2023
$1500.00 per month (and potentially school credit)
Submission Deadline: Spring 2023
This is a paid internship with American Bird Conservancy’s
and Birds Campaign. In 2022, the United States government saw
the most movement on policy issues around lead ammunition and
fishing tackle in 30 years. This wave of action is continuing into
2023 and ABC is seeking to respond to emergent and ongoing issues
at the federal and state levels.
The specific duties will be determined based in part on the
candidate’s interests; projects may include conducting virtual
outreach to state wildlife agencies, developing educational
materials on lead toxicity and impacts on wildlife, writing op-eds
and other professional communications, evaluating federal and state
laws and regulations, reading and analyzing published scientific
studies, and working with stakeholders such as sporting groups and
wildlife advocacy groups.
- Analyze conservation impact of legislation and/or policy;
- Review and summarize scientific literature to guide
- Prepare fact sheets and other educational materials for a
- Conduct strategic outreach to target audiences, including state
wildlife agencies, governors’ offices, state legislatures, sporting
groups, and industry groups; and
- Represent American Bird Conservancy at partner meetings.
- Strong interest in wildlife conservation and/or public
- Understanding of basic principles of biology, physiology,
government, and/or law
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Software (i.e., Word, Excel,
- Strong writing skills
- Authorized to work in the U.S. (U.S. Citizenship or Permanent
- Background screening required
Salary and Benefits:
- This is a short-term, part-time position that pays $1,500.00
per month for 3 months and potentially school credit
- Due to term length, benefits are not offered.
Please apply on BambooHR.
At American Bird Conservancy, we believe that a diversity of
backgrounds, perspectives, and skills makes us more effective. We
are committed to creating a respectful and inclusive work
environment for all of our employees.
As an equal opportunity employer, ABC is committed to
ensuring that employees and applicants for employment have equal
opportunities regardless of race, color, national origin, ancestry,
sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical
condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual
orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other
factor unrelated to the requirements of the position.