Lead Toxicity Policy Intern
- American Bird Conservancy
- Virginia, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Closing date
- Apr 27, 2023
- Position Type
- Programs, Community Outreach
- Advocacy, Animal Protection, Environment, Other Fields, Research
- Employment Type
- Part Time
Title: Lead Toxicity Policy Intern
Supervisor: Director of Government Relations, Pesticides and Birds Campaign
Duration of Internship: 3 Months, Approximately April 15-June 15, 2023
Compensation: $1500.00 per month (and potentially school credit)
Submission Deadline: Spring 2023
This is a paid internship with American Bird Conservancy’s Pesticides and Birds Campaign. In 2022, the United States government saw the most movement on policy issues around lead ammunition and fishing tackle in 30 years. This wave of action is continuing into 2023 and ABC is seeking to respond to emergent and ongoing issues at the federal and state levels.
The specific duties will be determined based in part on the candidate’s interests; projects may include conducting virtual outreach to state wildlife agencies, developing educational materials on lead toxicity and impacts on wildlife, writing op-eds and other professional communications, evaluating federal and state laws and regulations, reading and analyzing published scientific studies, and working with stakeholders such as sporting groups and wildlife advocacy groups.
- Analyze conservation impact of legislation and/or policy;
- Review and summarize scientific literature to guide conservation strategies;
- Prepare fact sheets and other educational materials for a popular audience;
- Conduct strategic outreach to target audiences, including state wildlife agencies, governors’ offices, state legislatures, sporting groups, and industry groups; and
- Represent American Bird Conservancy at partner meetings.
- Strong interest in wildlife conservation and/or public health
- Understanding of basic principles of biology, physiology, government, and/or law
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Software (i.e., Word, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint)
- Strong writing skills
- Authorized to work in the U.S. (U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Resident)
- Background screening required
Salary and Benefits:
- This is a short-term, part-time position that pays $1,500.00 per month for 3 months and potentially school credit
- Due to term length, benefits are not offered.
Please apply on BambooHR.
At American Bird Conservancy, we believe that a diversity of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills makes us more effective. We are committed to creating a respectful and inclusive work environment for all of our employees.
As an equal opportunity employer, ABC is committed to ensuring that employees and applicants for employment have equal opportunities regardless of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other factor unrelated to the requirements of the position.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert