International Conservation Project Officer
- American Bird Conservancy
- Virginia, United States
- Salary Commensurate with experience
- Closing date
- Apr 27, 2023
- Position Type
- Programs, Program Administration and Management, Administrative, Other Administrative
- Advocacy, Animal Protection, Environment, International, Research
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Title: International Conservation Project Officer, with focus on Peru
Supervisor: Director of International Programs or Director of Migratory Bird Habitat in Latin America and the Caribbean
Location: Flexible; Remote; Anywhere in the US
Salary: $65,000; Based on experience
The mission of American Bird Conservancy (ABC) is to conserve birds and their habitats – the places birds need to thrive – across the Americas. We are an established and growing group of 125+ dedicated staff, located across the United States and with a network of partners from Canada to Chile. Each year, we grow in budget and staff, and we deliver more results aimed at preventing bird species extinctions and reversing declines that are reducing populations of nearly all bird groups. Our work is guided by our principles, which include a commitment to Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI).
ABC is looking for a dynamic, entrepreneurial Project Officer to work directly with our partners in Latin America and the Caribbean to develop and implement bird conservation projects. Our projects typically focus on the creation and management of protected areas; habitat restoration activities, such as tree planting; and activities to foster the long-term sustainability of reserves, including ecotourism, bird-friendly agroforestry, sustainable cattle ranching, etc. The Project Officer will:
- Lead ABC’s current work in Peru and develop new projects and partnerships to conserve birds and their habitats in Peru.
- Develop and manage ABC bird conservation projects in other countries in Latin America and the Caribbean as may be needed.
- Fundraise for and communicate about bird conservation projects in collaboration with ABC’s Development, Finance, Operations, and Communications Teams.
- Be an integral member of ABC’s International and Migratory International Teams, providing expertise to the teams and to ABC more broadly as needed.
- Manage bird conservation projects in Latin America and the
Caribbean. This includes projects for threatened resident species
and for priority migratory bird species at important wintering or
stopover sites within priority areas called BirdScapes.
- Communicate with project partners to develop workplans and agreements, considering both partner and donor needs.
- Conduct site visits for consultation, project planning, technical and implementation support, and monitoring.
- Provide technical support to and maintain regular communications with local partner organizations.
- Work with ABC’s communications team and local partner organizations to communicate and promote projects, including contributing images, videos, news stories and social media posts.
- Support fundraising efforts in collaboration with ABC’s development team.
- Prepare narrative and financial reports to project donors.
- Identify potential new projects and partnerships that will advance the conservation of priority bird species in the Project Officer’s target countries.
- Contribute to ABC’s cross-cutting work on specific conservation-related themes, such as climate change, agroforestry and sustainable agriculture, impact investing, wildlife trade, conservation policy, improved inclusion of Indigenous peoples and women in conservation and other JEDI (Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion) issues, etc.
- Represent ABC at external events, such as conferences, task forces and workshops.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) with strong proficiency in writing, understanding and speaking in both languages is required.
- Enthusiasm for ABC’s mission to conserve wild birds and their habitats throughout the Americas.
- An advanced degree in a relevant field.
- At least five years of conservation experience in Latin American or the Caribbean, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Project management experience.
- Well organized with keen attention to detail and results oriented.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines, with the tenacity and creativity to solve difficult problems, and an entrepreneurial spirit to pursue new conservation opportunities.
- An outgoing, positive, persuasive manner and predisposition for collaboration, with the ability to work both independently and as part of teams, as well as with international partners.
- Willing and able to travel.
- Candidates may be expected to work long hours with early starts in relatively difficult field conditions when on travel to visit project sites several times a year.
- Knowledge of Neotropical migrant and resident birds preferred.
- Background screening required.
- S. Citizenship or Permanent Residency required.
- Excellent benefits package includes medical, dental, flexible spending accounts, and employer-matched retirement savings.
- Paid vacation days (starting at 15 days annually and increasing to 20 days after 1 year of employment), paid holidays (including both US holidays and additional ABC holidays) and sick leave.
- Lodging, meals, and transportation covered for work-related travel away from home.
- Rental vehicle or personal mileage reimbursement where applicable.
Please apply online at Bamboo HR.
If you have difficulties, please send your cover letter and resume to HR@abcbirds.org
At American Bird Conservancy, we believe that a diversity of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills makes us more effective. We are committed to creating a respectful and inclusive work environment for all of our employees.
As an equal opportunity employer, ABC is committed to ensuring that employees and applicants for employment have equal opportunities regardless of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other factor unrelated to the requirements of the position.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert