Chief Advancement Officer
- U.S. Soccer Federation
- Illinois, United States
- Competitive Salary
- Closing date
- Apr 27, 2023
- Position Type
- Fundraising, Capital Campaigns, Corporate and Foundation Relations, Donor Relations, Major Gifts, Membership, Planned Giving, Other Fundraising, Special Events
- Other Fields, Youth
- Employment Type
- Full Time
ABOUT U.S. SOCCER: The next 10 years will be a moment in time unlike any other for soccer in America. With a growing sport, inspirational national teams, and an unrivaled lineup of global competitions—including the 2026 FIFA World Cup on U.S. soil—there has never been a better time to join the soccer movement.
With an extraordinary decade ahead for Soccer in America—including the United States hosting the 2026 FIFA World Cup, 2024 Copa America, and 2028 Summer Olympic Games—U.S. Soccer has an unprecedented opportunity to harness the excitement around our sport to drive exponential growth in participation, fan interest, and contributed revenue to fuel transformation and growth of and access to soccer in the United States. For more information, please visit ussoccer.com.
THE OPPORTUNITY: U.S. Soccer is seeking an entrepreneurial Chief Advancement Officer (CAO) to create a robust culture of philanthropy at all levels of the organization and throughout the broader soccer eco-system. He/she/they will create and deliver messaging that underscores the mission and aspirations of U.S. Soccer. The CAO and team will identify and communicate compelling funding opportunities and pillars for philanthropic support from the organization’s priorities.
The CAO will be responsible for providing leadership, long- and short-term strategy, comprehensive planning, and guidance for all development-related programs. This individual will recruit, build, and lead a talented department of professionals dedicated to setting a new fundraising standard throughout the organization and considered amongst one of the best throughout the industry.
As a member of U.S. Soccer’s senior leadership team, this individual will also collaborate actively across the organization to foster a culture of philanthropy and build high-impact development opportunities to increase transformational philanthropic growth. The successful candidate will help forge new relationships to build U.S. Soccer’s visibility, impact, and financial resources. The CAO will also design and implement a comprehensive plan for developing key external alliances by cultivating individual philanthropic support.
Working at U.S. Soccer is a unique opportunity as employees have the privilege of working with elite soccer players and some of the best commercial minds in the country. The organization is looking for someone who is a difference maker, creative, accountable, loves working with and engaging with people and excited by the prospect of leveraging some of our country’s biggest soccer events to build and execute initiatives and tactics that grow the sport and showcase the best soccer players in the United States. The CAO reports to the Chief Commercial Officer and will lead a current team of five.
FUNDING: The annual operating budget of U.S. Soccer is approximately $175M, of which less than 5% is derived from contributions and the balance from partnerships, events, media, consumer products, and membership services. The goal is to increase annual contributed revenue to $30-$50 million over the next 5-7 years. Additionally, the organization has created a plan for a major capital and programmatic campaign to transform and grow the organization and its impact in major ways.
- 15+ years of development leadership experience in a sophisticated fundraising organization with the proven ability to set departmental vision and strategy.
- Proven track record of overseeing multimillion-dollar budget and surpassing revenue goals.
- An authentic, charismatic, enthusiastic, collaborative leader able to create excitement and energy around U.S. Soccer’s mission; a passion for soccer is highly beneficial.
- Strong people management skills.
- Experience working with passionate volunteers and board members.
- Donor-centric mindset with commitment to authentic relationship building.
- Direct individual fundraising experience including successfully securing and stewarding major seven-figure gifts.
- An excellent communicator and compelling storyteller.
- Bold vision and creative problem-solving skills to innovate a growing department.
- Knowledge of and emphasis on CRM systems (preferably Salesforce), a high degree of accountability, and fundraising best practices.
- Technical knowledge of the laws related to philanthropic gifts.
- Professionalism, discretion, and confidentiality in all matters of staff and donor privacy.
- A genuine commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging and to fostering a safe, respectful, and diverse work environment.
- Ability and willingness to travel domestically and abroad as needed and to attend events as required.
- A bachelor’s degree is required; an advanced degree or CFRE is valued.
Howe-Lewis International is pleased to assist U.S. Soccer with this exciting search. Please email your resume and letter of interest to email@example.com
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert