Reports to: Deputy Chief Development
Staff reporting to this position: 5+
Position classification: Exempt, full
Minimum compensation: $175,000
Work site: Hybrid (on-site two days per week,
Washington, D.C., office)
Reporting to the Deputy Chief Development Officer (CDO), the
Vice President of Development will be a key member and leader of
the Development department. They will be responsible for leading
the Individual Giving team, work closely with the CDO on board
recruitment, and manage a portfolio of 75 six-figure donors and
prospective donors while leading and overseeing the management of
the Individual Giving team.
This position is ideal for a dynamic, results-driven, and
well-organized development leader who is committed to a progressive
policy agenda and to American Progress’ mission to improve the
lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas, as well as
strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only
changing the conversation, but changing the
country. In addition, this position will support
American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Building an economy for all
- Restoring social trust in democracy
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Strengthening health
The Development department works with program staff at both the
Center for American Progress, a 501(c)(3) organization, and the
Center for American Progress Action Fund, a 501(c)(4) organization,
to fundraise to support American Progress’ priorities and bold
- Lead the Individual Giving team of five fundraisers and support
staff to help them reach their combined goal.
- Support the CDO with board recruitment.
- Carry a portfolio of 75 six-figure prospective donors.
- Enhance unrestricted funding while generating new programmatic
- Serve as a key leader in the Development department and
successfully balance an occasionally rigorous travel schedule to
meet with potential and current funders.
- Serve as coach, mentor, and leader of the Individual Giving
- Establish credibility within the Development department as an
effective developer of solutions to business challenges.
- Develop, lead, attract, inspire, retain, and manage a diverse,
talented, and high-performing team to ensure that the mission and
core values of American Progress are put into practice by holding
everyone accountable for quantifiable, high-quality, timely, and
- Guide staff in their respective areas of functional
- Engage staff in strategic operations and execution through
responsive and transparent communication and leadership.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant work experience, including at
least five years of fundraising experience with principal gifts of
$100,000 donations or more from individual donors.
- Demonstrated success managing a six-figure portfolio of
- Work experience and donor contacts in mission-aligned
- A proven track record in fundraising from a variety of sources,
including government agencies, private foundations, individuals,
and the private sector.
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial ability to develop alliances and
coordinate shared interests of all parties.
- Excellent problem-solving skills designed to meet the
challenges of the organization.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with
considerable experience in writing and presenting information to a
variety of audiences.
- Ability to use data and CRM systems to set fundraising strategy
and priorities, measure outcomes, and drive superior
- Knowledge of various progressive philanthropic sectors, such as
racial equity, rights, justice, international affairs, public
health, education, and democracy.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal, mediation, and facilitation skills.
- Ability to prioritize and multitask in a fast-paced
- Familiarity with 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) regulations is a
- Ability to work additional hours as needed to meet deadlines
and manage workflow.
- Support for the mission of American Progress and commitment to
a broad progressive agenda.
- Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, or equivalent experience
Applications should include a cover letter and résumé. Writing
samples may be requested.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and
benefits package. This position is not represented by a union.
Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to
apply. This position has a minimum salary of $175,000.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community
spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes
to our current hybrid work policy will be communicated at the time
of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs